Best Friend Retriever soberbyker's Avatar

Do dogs have nightmares????? (part 2)

Second time today I've run into the "you can't bump a thread more than 180 days old" problem, only forum, of many, I've run into this problem. Anyway, if I was allowed to continue it would have went like this ....

Quote Originally Posted by SoapySophie View Post
    Sophie regularly runs in her sleep (laying on her side, legs bending and twitching). On occasion she'll have a vocal dream, like last night, where she made a few whimpering sounds. There was another time where they were full-on yelps and we rushed over to her crate and let her out to cuddle her for a bit. Dreams, for sure, yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    chili has dreams almost everyday, sometimes i watch him have these dreams and have seen him with his eyes open but glassed over baking and moving his legs. no urination tho. some of his dreams have been very vocal, others mild. always thought it was normal, but I dont really know.
    I came here today to see if this was fairly common, was going to start a thread about it. Somewhat comforting to know it's not uncommon. It is a tad unnerving to watch it though.

Zeke has animated dreams often, small low key sounds legs/paws moving, he even chatters his teeth every now and then.

ETA I removed a part of this post as it may have been a painful memory.
    Last edited by soberbyker; 02-28-2016 at 06:27 PM. Reason: edited info

While I have no admin / mod position on this forum, I have on others (all of which I have left; by and large I do not like the social interactions forums engender), and in my experience people bumping up very old posts can be incredibly confusing for everyone involved. It is usually done by newcomers—often trying to get post counts up, or not taking the time to read the dates on the OP (this does not apply to you, of course). Often, problems discussed in older threads are long since solved (or have ended, in good ways or bad), and bringing them up afresh can bring up bad memories or just seem confusing to those who have been around a while. Imagine you and friends meet for dinner every Saturday. Have been doing this for years. Everyone's welcome at dinner, it's not a private party, but threads of discussion come and go. One day, as you are settling in, the door slams open, someone calls our "I'm Here!" and then replies to a question someone who isn't there asked about something eight months ago. It's not wrong. It can be confusing. Sometimes, it can be sad.

For instance, you don't know this, but Bruce, Barry's dog, died not too long ago. He was a young dog, and it was unforeseen and horrible. Of course you couldn't have known this.

Anyway, I don't know if old-thread-bumping was ever a problem here, but from my own experience w/ forums, I appreciate the fact that threads older than 6 months are not bumped.

In terms of dreaming, yes, it's entirely normal for dogs to dream, and some dream more vocally than others.
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Second time today I've run into the "you can't bump a thread more than 180 days old" problem, only forum, of many, I've run into this problem. Anyway, if I was allowed to continue it would have went like this ....

I came here today to see if this was fairly common, was going to start a thread about it. Somewhat comforting to know it's not uncommon. It is a tad unnerving to watch it though.

Zeke has animated dreams often, small low key sounds legs/paws moving, he even chatters his teeth every now and then.

Glad the vet feels Bruce is Ok barry581.

That at happened when Bruce was 10 months old. Sadly he passed away back in December at the age of 19 1/2 months. He had a fatal arythmia is his sleep.

Sorry to hear of your loss Barry. It was not my intention to drudge up a painful time.

I wanted to make a comment on a thread that already existed. I can understand Abulafia's point. I too moderate/admin some forums and facebook pages and this is the first I've seen to have the old post bump prohibition. I feel that all the info on a subject is better for research in one thread than 10 threads on the same subject, it also helps the function search function work better than when the info you want is spread out over multiple threads.

In any event, again sorry for the painful memory, I was just happy to find out Zeke's erratic sleep was somewhat normal.

Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Sorry to hear of your loss Barry. It was not my intention to drudge up a painful time.

I wanted to make a comment on a thread that already existed. I can understand Abulafia's point. I too moderate/admin some forums and facebook pages and this is the first I've seen to have the old post bump prohibition. I feel that all the info on a subject is better for research in one thread than 10 threads on the same subject, it also helps the function search function work better than when the info you want is spread out over multiple threads.

In any event, again sorry for the painful memory, I was just happy to find out Zeke's erratic sleep was somewhat normal.

Bill.
    Bill I took no offense to your post. Bruce was a very special dog, and I miss him like you can't believe. These dogs have a way of worming thier way into our hearts. We always hope we will get a full lifetime with them, but sometimes life can be very cruel and take them much too soon. Trust me when I say there is nothing you could have said to make my hurt worse, and I pray every day no one has to feel the pain I still feel from Bruce's passing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (03-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    Bill I took no offense to your post. Bruce was a very special dog, and I miss him like you can't believe. These dogs have a way of worming thier way into our hearts. We always hope we will get a full lifetime with them, but sometimes life can be very cruel and take them much too soon. Trust me when I say there is nothing you could have said to make my hurt worse, and I pray every day no one has to feel the pain I still feel from Bruce's passing.
    Barry, I'm glad you took no offense as none was intended. You have a friend here that stuck up for you behind the scenes. I went out for the day after I made that post. Had I gotten the private message sooner there would have been a chance that you'd never see my comment as I would have deleted it.

I'm new here, I'm new to having a (full blood) Lab in my life. I've joined this forum to understand and learn about the breed. I'm not new to having pets, currently, in addition to my lab, there are two more dogs, 4 cats, a bird and tank of fish living here. I did have a lab mix 15 years ago, one of the bests dogs I've ever shared my home with.

I'm not new to forums and know how to use a forum search function to see if what I'm looking for is already being discussed so that I may add to an existing thread rather than create a new one. Research goes a lot smoother when you don't have to cull your info from multiple threads, until now I never understood why people get upset when someone opens an older thread.

Again, glad you took no offense.

Bill

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soberbyker For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (03-01-2016), barry581 (03-01-2016)

Molly has had nightmares and they really scare me.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos