Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cosmo puppies

Cosmo puppies

Oh, wow. There is a litter in our neck of the woods that is out of a Chopper (Clubmeade's Road Warrior) grand daughter and Dare to Dream (Cosmo). By AI and frozen semen, obviously. There is Cosmo on both sides of Rocket Dog and I'm told he was a spooky great marking dog. Apparently he was also a wild and crazy guy.

But that will be a very interesting breeding and I hope I get to see some of them run.

Senior Dog
    That sounds like a pretty nice breeding. Friends have a Dare to Dream offspring. She is a very nice female. Not as wild as their male from Clubmead's Steele Magnolia was but still a great trial dog. When looking at breedings I now take a very good look at the bitch line as a fine it often is as much of a factor as the sires's.

House Broken
    I also have a Cosmo puppy .
    Talk about high energy im working on force fetch right now he did not like hold but that's my fault I should have instilled that in him while he was a puppy this is my first dog im training I'm starting ear pinch and fetch today hope he picks it up quick so I don't have to be to hard on him

So is there some "Itch" in the pedigree? Itchin' to Go was an outstanding FC back in the 70's. Maybe his most famous offspring was Harley to Go. Itch was a big, bad, breaking dog in the classic old-days FC's that were trained with a very firm hand. Happily, that type of temperament is not needed to succeed these days but the speed and power and drive are always nice to have.

You have a great dog there. Got plans for it? Got a retriever club or training group that you belong to?

House Broken
    Yes he does have some Harley and itch
    Harley is great grandpaw and itchin to go is great great figure I bring back the old name.
    Yea I plan on doing hunt test with him the ukc test the Akc is to much and they don't hold events around here he's 9 months now and I'm in force with him he's a lil high strung

House Broken
    No I was looking to join something

Way cool. You have a great dog there. Get in with a bunch of fellow retriever trainers, even if you have to drive a ways for occasional training days. You probably already know that they are usually a fun bunch of people who can always use a duck thrower (or winger-operator) and who will encourage you with your training.

I suspect you are probably going to have to focus a lot on getting him steady. But it's a "problem" that is actually a good thing in my view. You can always get them steadier... but if they're the type of dog who folds on you and stops enjoying the game... it's hard to work with those dogs.

Wow. What a great gene pool.

House Broken
    I had him steady before I started force but he's so excited and ready to go Ima have to re steady him

House Broken
    My goal is to breed him get a puppy off of him sell the puppy as a started dog for maby 1500 and use that to buy a bad ass female not related to him and start breeding so I can make a few extra dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Scott View Post
    When looking at breedings I now take a very good look at the bitch line as a fine it often is as much of a factor as the sires's.
    The bitch line is much more important....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (04-21-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos