Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assisted Dying

Assisted Dying

This is in the news in Canada right now, lots of controversy. I am in favour, too many times I've seen forced living, which has been a living death for some. But the OH just got word his friend will be assisted in his death tomorrow. He has been battling cancer for nearly 20 years and it's just too much now. Ironically the cancer about to kill him is attributed to the chemo he took for the one he got in the first place. This new cancer is working quickly.

The man has sent word he wants no more visitors. It was the man himself who first contacted OH to tell him of his new cancer. I've only met him a couple of times but he is popular and well liked and when OH told me just now a big lump made it's way from my throat to my heart.

I'm still in favour. If death is inevitable I actually think the proposed criteria are too strict. But, it's so hard to think of and I hardly know him. I keep thinking of my Mum, who cried out several times, "Why can't I just die?" Her pain was mental anguish and she was old. I wonder, if she'd had the option, could I have been there for her? I hope so.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Snowshoe; 03-09-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Hugs, and I am with you on that. We help dogs out when it gets too hard, so why not humans.

I am totally for dying with dignity or anything to do with the right to die. I have had these conversations openly with my DD and when the time comes this would be my choice.

I'm all for it. As you probably know, Oregon is a right to die state. I hadn't thought much about it until my aunt was dying of dementia -- a truly awful way to go -- during the same time as there was a lot of press due to Brittany Maynard. I also think the restrictions are too tough.

I also am in favor. I don't mean those tired of living and who may be struggling with a disease but for those who there are really nothing more that can be done and they are suffering and in pain. DH and I have had this discussion between ourselves and with our DD. I have been there to help our furkids pass with dignity, why not our two legged loves also.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    For. If I have a medical death sentence that involves misery, why shouldn't I be able to check out early. It'd save the province money and why is it anyone's business but mine if I wish to sign off? I've never understood that (when it comes to terminal illnesses and horrible prognoses, I mean).
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

Agree 100 percent with everyone above. Having watched painful, drawn out deaths from several diseases I know it is not something I want to experience.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I believe that assisted dying needs to be added to the array of treatment options and outcomes. I've been directly involved twice with giving permission for others to die. One was my dad and one was my then-best friend. Both experiences deeply influenced my belief.

We have had detailed discussions and completed papers designed to make us think through scenarios. For example if circumstance permits I want to die at home or in hospice with music, dogs, people I care about. We've also had preliminary discussions with our POAs. Our next step is legally formalizing our wishes.

While no one likes to think of dying or of loved ones dying, it's so very important to have the discussion(s) months and even years in advance. Also, and a little OT, hospice can be an important addition to treatment and best practice.

I highly recommend reading Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End, written by a surgeon. He seems to deeply appreciate the need for change in managing the end of life.

Snowshoe, I'm unfamiliar with the criteria. Has government tabled legislation? Perhaps strict criteria are intended to mollify social, religious, and moral critics.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (03-09-2016)

I'm for as well.

I also think, while incredibly controversial, some people decide to commit suicide in incredibly selfish ways. A friend of mine recently drove the wrong way on I-95 in Florida, at night, with his lights on, to kill himself. I wish he could've chosen assisted dying, and in that way, saved the horror and trauma the truck driver who hit him will be forced to live with for the rest of his life. I think treatment should be available, and I don't support it for suicide, I just wish that people who are that committed to the idea that they will risk other people's lives should have an option, if any of that makes sense.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I've long believed that we treat our animals better when it's time to help them pass with dignity. The problem is there is too much money to be made in keeping people alive. The medical community is dedicated to squeezing every last dime out of us before we die. I watched my Grandmother be kept alive in a nursing home for over 8 years. She had zero quality of life, and it greatly saddened me to watch her have to suffer day in and day out just because we don't allow people to pass with dignity.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos