Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yuck beyond Yuck!!!!!!

There is a spot next to where the pool pump is in the back yard that seems to have a regular deposit of poop from some wild animal, always in the same place. It is beyond vile in smell. Up until yesterday Anthony has noshed on some but yesterday he went one step further and rolled in it. DH said he saw them down there but they were only sniffing, brought them in, handed them over to me for crating as we were both going out. As we headed to the crates, omg, it was all over his head and neck (don't ask me how he missed it).

Thank the lord for great kennel/grooming neighbors that we use all the time. Pam said 'bring him over' and we'll hang on to him, give him a bath and you can pick him up later!!!!!

Now for the question: what wild animals use the same spot like a latrine. I've heard bear but I think I'd see more damage, racoon or skunk? This is not dry powdery scat but 'substantive' if you know what I mean and yellowish in color. I know we've got some wild life lovers here, Barb/Sundance?????

PS: From what i can see online, you can deter whatever critter it is by putting dog urine or human urine on the spot. We'll be trying both!!!

Oh dear, that does sound yuck beyond yuck! My guess would be some sort of cat if it's got a favorite spot to go. But then, I'm no naturalist. I think we have a fox that comes in our yard and pees on stuff, frequently my dogs' toys if I leave them on the ground. That's pretty vile also and I think people use that to deter deer from eating their plants. Thank goodness for your groomer neighbor who, by your account, sounded almost cheerful about the prospect of cleaning him up!

Now send your husband out there to spread his own personal kind of deterrent!

Yeah, I didn't want to get too specific but DH went out and did his 'job' this morning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doreen Davis View Post
    Yeah, I didn't want to get too specific but DH went out and did his 'job' this morning!!
    LOL, first thought through my head was, are they both doing this or she sending out DH only. If they were both doing it I bet the neighbors post it on youtube.

I can also imagine the conversation between you and DH. "Hey I need you to go pee on the lawn right here for the next few days." Him, being a guy, and has learned to pick his battles, just says OK, with no questions asked.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Doreen Davis (03-10-2016)

Senior Dog
    Yeah...raccoon. And they hate the smell of ammonia....maybe put some out in a container with holes in the top (worked to get them off our deck).

One real concern with eating/rolling in raccoon poop is raccoon roundworms. Sorry to say that they can be fatal (our local wildlife lady contracted them somehow and almost died...and has to be checked annually from now on for organ damage from either the worms or the horribly taxing treatment, not sure which, maybe both). I'd talk to the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Doreen Davis View Post
    There is a spot next to where the pool pump is in the back yard that seems to have a regular deposit of poop from some wild animal, always in the same place. It is beyond vile in smell. Up until yesterday Anthony has noshed on some but yesterday he went one step further and rolled in it. DH said he saw them down there but they were only sniffing, brought them in, handed them over to me for crating as we were both going out. As we headed to the crates, omg, it was all over his head and neck (don't ask me how he missed it).

Thank the lord for great kennel/grooming neighbors that we use all the time. Pam said 'bring him over' and we'll hang on to him, give him a bath and you can pick him up later!!!!!

Now for the question: what wild animals use the same spot like a latrine. I've heard bear but I think I'd see more damage, racoon or skunk? This is not dry powdery scat but 'substantive' if you know what I mean and yellowish in color. I know we've got some wild life lovers here, Barb/Sundance?????

PS: From what i can see online, you can deter whatever critter it is by putting dog urine or human urine on the spot. We'll be trying both!!!

First, you have some really nice neighbors to do the washing-they deserve a cake or cookies-home made!!!

Then the PEE, hope those nice neighbors are not watching as they may think you are 'A LITTLE STRANGE'
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

Senior Dog
    Yuck!!!!!! So nice to have Barb around, she's better then Google.

Yuck. I hope you get it to stop.

Oh YUCK! You have a great neighbor.

Sundance has saved me from our skunk invasion (HUGE THANK YOU) using Shake Away products. I figured if they made a pet friendly skunk repellent, maybe they do the same for raccoons. Yes, they do. https://www.critter-repellent.com/ra...coon-repellent Apparently it is coyote urine crystals. It's natural, safe around pets and kids and the skunk repellent really does work. The one thing, if we have heavy rains, need to reapply; I use along the fence line. For the skunks it's essentially fox urine crystals. No smell that I can detect if applied as directed. Not that expensive, much less than a grooming session. Can be found on Amazon or the site above.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

11. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Scoutpout (03-11-2016)

Gag. I have no advice but our Nikki once found a faulty septic runoff and I thought I was going to puke when she got done with it. Beyond disgusting.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos