Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

New puppy + 2 year old dog

Hello all -

This is my first time posting on this forum, but I've been reading threads / lurking for a few months now. We have a 2 year old male lab, Jackson, who is the sweetest love you could imagine. We recently moved out to the countryside, so while our dog has lots of room to run, he sees fewer dogs than when we lived in the city (San Fran - dog parks everywhere). We were thinking of getting him a baby brother (of the 4-legged variety) so he has a play buddy. FWIW, our dog is well-socialized, loves other dogs and fairly energetic (typical 2-year old lab energy). The new furbaby would come from the same breeder, who we like and trust, so we're comfortable that we're getting a pup with a good temperament.

Since everyone on this board seems to have a wealth of information and experience with multiple dogs at home, I thought I'd ask everyone for their best advice when it comes to introducing a puppy to another dog at home. Anything we should be concerned about / take care to pay attention to? We've already upgraded our vacuum to a Dyson, so we have the extra fur covered. Thanks in advance!

He sounds like he'd be an excellent big brother. We are getting a pup this weekend and introducing him to our 8 year old female. I can't really give you any advice on an introduction because I feel like we're kind of winging it. Our breeder recommended walking them together, not where they were touching but so that they could see each other. A lot of the articles I read recommended introducing the between chain link fences so that they couldn't hurt each other. I think we'll end up doing a mix of things and just taking it at our older dog's pace so that she's comfortable with the transition.

Sounds like a good combo to me. Our older boy's breeder ask that we consider waiting at least 2 years before getting a second dog. We waited 6 years, which might have been a little long for Chase. The puppy energy was a bit of a shock to him.

We introduced them outside and supervised all interactions between them for quite a while. Lark was terrible about biting Chase around the neck and he wouldn't correct her obnoxious behavior. I'd just say be sensitive to the needs of both of them to have a break from the other. We walked them together and tried to make sure Chase got fed first, got first treats if both were getting them, would not let Lark bother him when he was eating since she finished more quickly than he. We also tried to give him walks or trips without Lark since she was demanding so much attention.

Chase is not a cuddler, I wish I could show you some heart-melting photos of them cuddling together but it's not going to happen. She pestered him all the time but doesn't do that any more. Now he will let her lie near him, but none of those cute hugging puppies pictures. Oh well.

Sounds like Jackson is ready for a new adventure!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Our older boy's breeder ask that we consider waiting at least 2 years before getting a second dog.
    We were just talking about how long we should wait until we get another dog and decided on 2 years! So I'll probably have this same question a year from now.

just want to say hello and welcome, nothing more to add to the good advice already given

House Broken
    Thanks all for the welcome and advice. Introducing them on "neutral" territory sounds like a great idea, and we'll definitely be mindful of making sure Jackson has his space. Our breeder also gave us the 2 year gap recommendation, and given Jackson's energy levels and general pep, I think he'll mostly be ok with crazy pup behavior. But he does like hsi quiet time, so we'll have to make sure the pup gives him his space.

Anyone have any strong feelings about 2 males together? Our breeder (and we) feel like the dogs should be well behaved and not territorial regardless of gender, so I don't think this will be a problem. Jackson's never exhibited aggression or whatnot towards other males either. But it doesn't hurt to get input from others as well!

Hello and Welcome!

We home older dogs and the routine is basically the same for them, meeting in neutral territory, monitoring interaction, individual time and training, and tons of love for each.

Looking forward to pictures.

I just brought in a male puppy to go with my 2 1/2 year old female. Sophie is really good with other dogs, has has a very good temperment, so I wasn't to concerned with bringing the puppy home. When we got home with Bruce, I had my wife take Sophie for a walk, and took Bruce into the back yard. My wife brought Sophie to the yard at the end of the walk. A bit of sniffing and it was all good. Two weeks later things are going well, they play bitey face and go out in the yard with close supervision, more because Sophie is so big and strong, she could hurt the pup without really trying.

The biggest thing is just making sure they are supervised at all times.

Senior Dog
    Hi, Welcome to the Board, Already great advice given. Look forward to hearing about Jackson and his future baby brother.

KAZ

Not much else in the way of advice, as all given was good. The only thing I would add is to make sure that you still take the puppy to school, socialize without the older dog, and all of the things you would do if he were an only dog. It's really easy to let the older dog be the baby sitter and to get a little lax. It's way more work because you still have to care for and exercise and socialize a relatively young Lab besides the puppy. But it's also easier (if they play and like each other, which I'm sure they will from the sounds of it) because you've got built-in entertainment.

I have two boys, no problems. I've only had boys and always multiple dogs.

As far as the meeting, I just brought the puppy inside and let them meet. My older boy loves everyone and everything and as far as he is concerned, the more the merrier. And the puppy was a typical Lab puppy. They acted like they were long lost friends. I of course, kept an eye on rough play and so forth and reminded Sam to be gentle when he became over-stimulated.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos