Thread: Rusty

Senior Dog

Rusty

Got out to train for the first time this spring, with a couple of trialers. We set up a long punch bird. I was interested in seeing if M would be distracted by the two outside gunners. We ran it as singles with the punch bird first. She did suck to the outside guns and I had to handle her. When she did the outside birds she stomped on the left hand one but had some trouble with the right which was thrown across a gap into some snow. I didn't feel too bad as both Howard's NFTCH dogs had to be handled as well. I don't think one of the dogs picked that bird up clean.
    The blind was a different story. M completely fell apart so I decided as it was the first session of the season I would not get into it with her so I put her up. After we were finished training I put a pile of ducks out and ran her to them, backing up so the distance became greater. She was fine and a happy dog when we finished. We will train again tomorrow and I will see if her attitude is improved. We really need to do some tune up drills starting next week.
    M was not the only one who was rusty. My throwing arm is going to need some work to get back into form. After being cooped up for the last 3 months and having to care for my mother-in-law, it was great just to get out and walk through the fields.

I felt badly for the one young man that was out today. He has worked extremely hard to get his older dog qualified for the National Amateur. They were out doing a simple drill on a soccer field and she tore a crutiate. He now is going to retire her as she is 9. You just never know.

You just never know. We're all just flesh and blood and every day you and your dog are healthy is a blessing. We're having what some are calling a "miracle March" getting series after series of storms across the Sierras to add to our snow pack. Much needed. But they come with ferocious, whipping winds that hamper standing up, let alone training. When we resume, we'll focus again on line manners.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos