Thread: Picnic Trial

Picnic Trial

Had another picnic trial today. It was pouring and we had up to 35mph wind gusts. Our rain gear did not keep us dry, we were slip sliding away in the mud and birds were being blown all over! We had three marks ranging from 75 - 100+ yards. It was not a very technical course, but had high grass, it was pretty wet (nothing like last weekend, but some standing water for sure), raining sideways and of course, that wind. Oh, and they were all pigeons, which my dog doesn't seem to mind at all. A few dogs had an issue with it including a poodle who stopped short of the line, stood on the body and then ripped the bird's head off! Nice heeling to the line and steadiness. Fast outs and backs. Did not take long to find each mark. Didn't require help. Held the bird all the way to heel position. Couldn't have asked for more from the big guy! Wish I had it on video, but with the rain and wind, couldn't chance it. Other than the weather, it was a good time, especially for the dog!

You're being influenced by the same weather fronts as we are. I was supposed to go to a handling seminar in Suisun City, CA (Hills Ferry RC) but they had to cancel it due to the amount of wind and rain anticipated.

How do you explain to people who don't run field events the reason we're out there in all kinds of crazy weather either training or running our dogs... how do you tell them what they're missing???!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Scoutpout (03-14-2016)

^^^ i've had a couple of obedience people say, well, why don't you just come out to do some stuff in the training hall when its not nice out. I just say, hey, the dogs love it, and its good to be outside! Lady i know posted a funny "Ad" on their facebook thingy, i'll see if i can find a link.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

Last edited by Scoutpout; 03-14-2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: added additional link
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

TuMicks (03-14-2016)

Yeah, but Scoutpout... they only show folks walking in sunshine, with calm water and no wind, no sideways sleet, no boots ankle deep in mud, nobody being soaked when their dog shakes on them, I mean... where is the fun in THAT?

But those are cute clips.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

Scoutpout (03-15-2016)

True Nuff! you forgot that sometimes you;re running in a cow pasture, and you keep slipping to your knees and kester in the cow patties! Or the snow, oh the snow....at least its only wet, not normally dirty... although it does a heck of a job on day-old mascara when youre out there and its snowing like a banshee, driving into your face... look like someone punched my lights out!
    And of course, ALL labs are extra-lovey-dovey when they're soaking wet and covered with pond slime! nothing cools you off on a hot summer day better than your beloved soaked slimey lab weaving around your legs and doing the lean into you!
    Missing:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

TuMicks (03-15-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos