Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guard dog

Guard dog

A few weeks ago I was working LONG 16-18 hours a day. I had several great friends looking after Mocha and Duchess for their evening meals and some play time.
    One night I came home about midnight. Most days when I come home Mocha meets me at the garage door. This night I came in and no Mocha. When I walked into the kitchen Mocha came out of the dinning room growling and barking in voice I had never heard from him. His guard hairs were at full height. I spoke to him and he turned it off and started twisting and yodeling, so happy to see daddy! I praised him for being a good boy and a great guard dog.

Have any of you seen the same behaviour?
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

My boyfriend can pull in the driveway, walk in the house, come into my room, get under the covers next to me and Luna doesn't even wake up from sleeping.
    Comet will bark if there's a leaf blowing by the window.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Archie, if startled or does not realize it's DH or I approaching, will definitely give out a big boy, don't you even think about it, bark. It's an instant change when he realizes.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Daisy will bark when people walk by the front door. I know that she will always alert me if someone comes into the house.
    But when I come home she is always quietly (no barking) waiting by the front door with her whole body and tail wagging back and forth excitedly.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Best Friend Retriever soberbyker's Avatar
    duplicate post

The only time I hear Zeke bark is if we are out in the dark and someone is approaching, or he sees something he feels might be a person, I've watched him bark at a small tree, he'll let out a few old hound dog sounding barks. Other than that Zeke is a fairly quiet dog, except for the occasional moan when we're in the car and he wants to know if we're there yet.

Molly got very protective of me while we were camping. Anytime a threat started coming towards my campsite and I was busy oh boy she would let me know. Charge face on she was great at being a guard dog. I really think its why no bears came near my campsites.

Absolutely. Come home at an unusual time, in the dark, and he's liable to go all guard dog. One funny thing though, Oban barks when the OH comes home in his truck and I'm home already. But not when I come home and the OH is home already. Or when I come home and the OH is still away. When we come home together he doesn't bark. For this last we are usually in my car so maybe that has something to do with it. He can see the vehicles and people from the front window
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by doubledip1 View Post
    My boyfriend can pull in the driveway, walk in the house, come into my room, get under the covers next to me and Luna doesn't even wake up from sleeping.
    Comet will bark if there's a leaf blowing by the window.
    LOL! talk about extremes.

When my parents visit they sometimes come in after i've gone to bet with the dogs. Neither really reacts. At most penny may go say hello. In fact, when I lived in an apartment they would sometimes have to go in during the day when I was gone (they always let me know beforehand) and the guys once told me Rocky barely lifted his head in awknowledgement of their arrival as they did their work. you don't get elss guard dog than that!

I had a foster though, what an awakening! we had all gone to bed when my parents came in (she had met them a few hours before). OMG the world was ending. AROOOROOOROOO ROOO ROOO and running all over. Woke me from a dead sleep. We sorta got annoyed with her but you know, in retrospect she is probably more correct to REACT when someone comes into the house like that VS my two who don't bat an eye :P

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    ~snip~

we are usually in my car so maybe that has something to do with it. He can see the vehicles and people from the front window

We have two small dogs in addition to Zeke, a 12 year old Bichon Shih Tzu (Romeo), and an 11 year old Maltese Poodle (Pierre), neither of them can see out of our back window but they get very excited when my wife's car pulls up out back. I think they have learned exactly what her car sounds like. There is an alleyway out back of our row home, so there are cars traveling along all day. May get an occasional yap from Pierre for other cars passing by but they know her car for sure, start showing their excitement before she pulls into her parking spot.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos