Thread: UTI in Male Lab

Puppy

UTI in Male Lab

Gip, my estimated 6-8 year old rescued Lab, started peeing in the house...every night on his bed, once on the tile in the bathroom, and once on the living room rug. I took him to the vet Tuesday, as soon as I noticed this wasn't a fluke, to see if he had a UTI. Sure enough, he did. She prescribed him 68 mg of Orbax for 10 days. I've not seen any improvement as he's still wetting his bed at night. The only thing that changed is that he was boarded for a week at the vet. I've wondered if having to hold it for extended periods of time may have contributed to this. He's in and out all day with our other dog as I'm home with them. Could there be more going on or does it take longer for the abx to work their magic? TIA

How long has he been on the antibiotic? It usually works pretty quickly.

Definitely call the vet and let him know. A urine culture and sensitivity may have to be done to see exactly what the bug is and what it is sensitive to. A change in antibiotic may be needed.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Puppy
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. He started the antibiotic Tuesday of this week, so he's had 4 doses.

Senior Dog
    Did you change his food fairly recently? If the protein content in his food is too high for him (not necessarily a high protein food), it can cause incontinence...especially nocturnal incontinence. We went through that with sibling Akitas...the food wasn't high protein to begin with but it was too high for the dogs. We changed the food...no more problem.

Has the vet checked his prostate?
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I've wondered if having to hold it for extended periods of time may have contributed to this.
    Absolutintootly it could.

Oban has had two UTI. Bright red blood in the snow was my clue on the first one, talk about scary. No idea why. The recent one was deemed due to an enlarged prostrate. Both times he was on antibiotic for 10 days. They are like many ailments, that antibiotic might not work on your dog, you might need a culture to determine what is in the urine so you can pick the right anti., and it might just take longer than usual to clear.

Good luck. If he is peeing in your house it could mean the urine burns when he pees, so he tries not to pee, till he can't hold on any longer and it dribbles out and he does just have to. In cats it's thought the same thing happens but they deliberately pick new places to pee because they blame the spot, so they try a new spot. Dogs might do this too.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Puppy
    He has only been on TOTW since I got him in late December...unless the vet added food to what I took him when he was boarded. I'd be highly upset to find they did that.

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
    She has not checked anything yet other than a urine sample. She could even tell while it was in the sterile container that it was cloudier than normal.

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Absolutintootly it could.

Oban has had two UTI. Bright red blood in the snow was my clue on the first one, talk about scary. No idea why. The recent one was deemed due to an enlarged prostrate. Both times he was on antibiotic for 10 days. They are like many ailments, that antibiotic might not work on your dog, you might need a culture to determine what is in the urine so you can pick the right anti., and it might just take longer than usual to clear.

Good luck. If he is peeing in your house it could mean the urine burns when he pees, so he tries not to pee, till he can't hold on any longer and it dribbles out and he does just have to. In cats it's thought the same thing happens but they deliberately pick new places to pee because they blame the spot, so they try a new spot. Dogs might do this too.
    I hadn't thought about it burning, but that's an excellent thought. She did say he may need to be on a different type of antibiotic, and that it could be something more. I will call them back. It has to be uncomfortable, although he doesn't act anything but happy...typical Labbie!

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Berna View Post
    She has not, but since I'll likely be back to have his antibiotic changed, I will ask about that if she doesn't suggest it first. Thanks for the idea.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos