Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crying Over the Loss of a Tree

I am, I'm actually crying. I knew this day would come. Our street is the prettiest in our little village because of the massive old trees, their branches meeting over top the street. In fall our street is ablaze with colour from the Sugar Maples. Hydro is cutting one of the Sugar Maples down. It's my favourite, the one with the old man's face in the trunk. I wanted to ask one of the crew to save me the face at least but it's too dangerous for me to go show him where it is. He'll never see it. As far as I know I'm the only person who's ever noticed it. Grumpy old man in the tree I call him, to my mind he resembles Aristotle. Boy, I'm going to miss him.

-img_0116-jpg

Senior Dog
    I can see him!

I hate cutting down living things, so I make Andrew do it. Weeds I'm okay with, but not saplings, shrubs etc.

I saw the "grumpy old man" right away. Sad that the tree had to be taken down. I'm glad you at least got a picture of it.

Senior Dog
    I know just how you feel.

There's a gorgeous box elder in the park that was being engulfed in the ubiquitous vines last year....I asked the park guys to please cut the vines and trim up the branches so that more wouldn't latch on. The park is overrun with vines and I hated the thought that this tree was going to be just another victim. It's absolutely magnificent in the fall when its seed heads dangle like icicles/something similar. The early morning sunshine makes it glow:

-boxelder1-jpg

A beautiful tree and the face is really easy to see; these things sometimes amaze me: so many awesome statues and pictures that can be seen in trees, rocks, even boards and stuff. Thank you for sharing the photo.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

House Broken
    Am I seeing it properly? It's a left profile, his eyes are closed, he has a beard and his chin juts out?

I'm sorry for your tree. That would make me really sad too.

What a shame. Had the same response to the maple we just took down. Too bad you couldn't save the grumpy old man.

I'm so sorry! Don't feel silly at all! I still cry looking at our yard. A tornado went through last summer and brought down our gorgeous huge old tree that made our yard so shady and pleasant. Now it's sunny, hot and naked looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg  

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveourlab View Post
    I'm so sorry! Don't feel silly at all! I still cry looking at our yard. A tornado went through last summer and brought down our gorgeous huge old tree that made our yard so shady and pleasant. Now it's sunny, hot and naked looking

Oh man. That sucks! That tree was gorgeous. Thank goodness it didn't fall on the house!

ETA: I just noticed the little Charlie Brown tree you planted! C'mon little guy! You have some big shoes to fill.

I get attached to plants and trees, too. Don't know why. We have two huge trees in our front yard and I taken pictures of them to decorate our guest bath. They are old trees and I want to go ahead and plant trees between them so that when it's "their time", there will still be beauty and shade. Don't even get me started on the baby grass

-img_20140606_104029729-jpg

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos