Puppy

Jumping on people

I'm sure this has been discussed 100 times, but I'd like to see if there is any new ideas out there. My 4 month old Lab LOVES meeting new people. Unfortunately his first reaction is to jump on them. I had him in puppy kindergarten and the instructor said to use positive reinforcement which worked great for her, but my friends are not dog trainers. Basically when pup would go to jump on her, she would turn away and ignore, and as soon as he went into a sit, said she would say "good boy" and pet/reward him. If he tried to jump again, she would repeat. This was pretty effective. Her recommendation was to get some treats, have a bunch of friends come over, and have them do the same.

So here is the problem. I have some family/friends that just aren't that into dogs and are not interested in having a dog jump on them at all. Changing family/friends not an option Using positive reinforcement, the dog first has to jump on you, you ignore, and then reward with good timing. We tried this with a friend and her timing was awful. She waited forever to treat and eventually pup started to wonder away.

So question, is there another/better method you guys use that does not involve other people training? BTW, he never jumps on me so I can't really teach him. Thanks!

put him on a leash and hold the leash down with your foot during training so he cant jump while giving the off command or whatever command you choose while training pup to meet/greet other people. then reward appropriately. I have also seen people use a shock collar but cant remember off hand where I saw it.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

3. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (06-16-2014)

You can leave a light weight leash on him in the house, and step on the leash to prevent jumping, while using verbal commands.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (06-16-2014), ZRabbits (06-10-2014)

So, using positive reinforcement .... no the dog does not need to first jump on you. Yes that is one method. And yes turning around and saying 'off' will work, but that takes a long time and most people aren't welcome to the idea of helping you train through that. Some people will tell you to knee your dog in the chest or squeeze his paws if he jumps up on you. I don't like those methods, in my opinion they are too harsh and I have never needed them.

What I do is just start by setting your dog up for success. Keep him on a leash so you are still in control. Have some treats. Have someone approach your dog and ask your dog to sit. Your dog will not receive any attention, praise, or treat rewards until or unless he is sitting. Mark the sit with a 'yes' or 'good' to acknowledge the good behavior. If the dog starts to get up or get ready to jump, step on the leash or grab the leash, ask again for a sit if you need to. Again, no rewards unless the dog is sitting.

You can replace the sit with a down but sit is just easier. Once he has sit mastered you can introduce the down as well and start alternating them.

Regular use of NILF training in your daily routine will also help with this. Having your dog sit or do something for you before receiving dinner or a toy or any treats or any life rewards will make it an automatic gesture before just letting loose and doing whatever he wants.

Also taking your dog out in busy public places will help to train this. Make sure your pup is also getting enough exercise to curb any unwanted excess energy and bad behavior.
    Charlie and Burton

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

Jaxson's Mom (06-20-2014), mike1309 (06-10-2014), Paul0130 (06-16-2014), ZRabbits (06-10-2014)

When Thor gets really excited to meet someone he'll jump and completely ignore even his strongest command (SIT). We've worked on 'watch me' instead, so as soon as a new person or dog approaches I'll ask him to watch me and THEN I can ask him to sit. It's a way to get his attention on me in between the time he notices the other person and they get close enough for him to jump. As long as I catch him with the 'watch me' I can then get him to calmly sit. I hope to be able to skip the 'watch me' soon, but it's been really useful in training better greeting behavior.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (06-16-2014), ZRabbits (06-10-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos