Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clean Up On Aisle . . . .

Archie.

DH got up at 3 AM which is not unusual for him with his crazy schedule. Let the dogs out and Archie got skunked.

When the new fence was put up in the back yard I told the installers I wanted the bottom at close to the ground as possible. After they were finished I went out and dug down a little directly under the fence and put in a line of bricks. Skunks are horrible here and wanted to do everything I could to keep them out. It was not too, too bad; think he got sprayed through the fence. It's not unusual at all to see skunks in the next door neighbors yard.

DH did not notice until Archie barged inside. He was quick enough to gate them into the kitchen. Thankfully, Mardi did not get hit. So at a little after 3 I'm giving Archie the treatment of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and Dawn. Could not for the life of me remember the amount of Dawn so called the e-vet. She chuckled, said the calls were really coming in. Her 2 huskies have been sprayed already this spring too. In case you need, recipe is 1 quart 3% HP, 1/4 cup baking soda, teaspoon of Dawn. Mix and soak the dog and let sit for 5 minutes. Rinse very well. If necessary can be repeated. E-vet also recommended shampooing with a dog shampoo afterwards as the treatment is drying to the skin. About a month ago I cleaned out under the bathroom sink and took stock of skunk supplies. Had to replace the HP. Good stuff to have on hand.

After giving Archie a bath, DH and I also took baths. Even had to take down the shower curtain and liner - he had rubbed up against them.

Rugs at the door have to be trashed along with Mardi's kitchen runner. Have a doctor's appointment in about a half hour and will head from there to get new rugs and runner. Got to put out the skunk repellent along the fence line which is essentially fox urine crystals. I think it does help.

Not the way I wanted to be woken up.

Watch out for your pups!
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

2. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

OHfemail (04-02-2016)

Senior Dog
    Ugh! Been there, done that, although thankfully not at 3AM!!

The last time (3 or 4 years ago) Chloe got it bad enough that the whole house stank for days, even though we intercepted her as soon as she came in the dog door. My poor DD called and asked to be picked up from school because apparently she herself was carrying a faint miasma and people were starting to talk! Ever since then she has had a fetish about smelling nice - we go through a lot of body spray, LOL.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

No skunks in my yard here, but I do bathe with Dawn whenever they get all stinky. Glad you had everything ready!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

No!!

I would be afraid to ever let my dogs in the backyard if they were that rampant, lol.

Oh my. You'll have to let us know if you notice any funny looks at your Doctor's appt.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

I had one outside the other night. I opened the door to let Hemi out and smelled it, shut the door before Hemi got out, decided to distract him from going with a treat. While he was after the treat I went outside with flashlight, seen the skunk and made a bunch of noise and things. It thought I was crazy and wandered off. Then I went and got Hemi.

I have a had a few close calls. The bad thing is the neighbor has a black and white cat they let roam outside all the time and it often comes over. Hemi insist it needs to be chased. It taunts him so especially when he is locked inside. So that always worries me if he sees a skunk at night he will make a run for it.

We have a gallon of Natures Miracle on hand for skunk season. For Mochas last trip out at night we take him out on a 25 foot lead and check the yard with a flashlight. Very often we see green eyes peering back at us.

Years ago I had a sheltie and a B&W cat. Max ran out one night and I know he thought the skunk was his cat. Oh dear lord! It took 6 months before he didn't stink after getting wet. He always looked sideways at Muffin after that!
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

Sparky: Do you use the Nature's Miracle on the dog? I have a gallon of it too.

Couldn't go to the doctor, could not get the smell out of my nose so I figured I had to wash my hair yet again. Got the new carpet runners for Mardi and entry rugs. I washed or wiped down everything in the kitchen and bathroom. DH and my coats were hanging on the back of chairs in the kitchen; they smell terrible. Stopped by the cleaners and they would not take them. They are both washable to a point; my embroidered lab coat is a little tricky to wash. Both are hanging out on the line to hopefully get the worse of the stink out before washing. Candles are burning everywhere along with the Glade timed sprayers. Different scent in each room, LOL. Hey, you use what you have.

Definite not the way I wanted to start the day.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Good heavens! I think my dogs would be inside dogs if there were any skunks in our vicinity, too! That is just unimaginable. One of our dogs got skunked when our family was on vacation when I was a kid. I still remember riding the 4 hours home in a hot car with a smelly dog. That poor dog was a pariah for many weeks after that- no internet to look up any sort of skunk solutions then!

Oh yuck. I hope you get to rest after your appointment.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos