Thunder shirt question

Like a lot of dogs, Penny does not like thunderstorms. Because of this, we bought her a thunder shirt. Is it okay to leave it on her all day while we're at work if it's supposed to storm that day? I'm assuming it is, but wanted to check before doing so (not sure if these would cause discomfort for a dog leaving it on all day or cause any issues with breathing)

i personally wouldn't leave it on when I am not around. that's just me though.

I also wouldn't leave it on a dog while not around. But I have no idea if this is a valid safety concern (and Hoku doesn't seem to care about thunderstorms, so I admit I haven't thought it through much).
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

I also wouldn't leave it on if I wasn't around. Due to the fact that it needs to be wrapped tight to work (if it does) I would be concerned about the dog being able to breathe properly if she became anxious, the dog over-heating and maybe trying to get out of it during the day and injuring herself or getting caught on something and suffocating.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

We left it on our Zoe when we left and didn't have a problem but it wasn't an entire work day, more like if we went out of an evening and thunderstorms were forecast or towards the end when she exhibited anxiety (we think she had a brain tumor but was 14 so we didn't pursue dx/tx) I'm pretty OCD but I would lean toward I don't think it would be a problem, the only issue that might be worth considering is that if it's the difference in pressure, with and without it on, that provides the comfort, always having it on might be an issue as the 'off/on' comparison wouldn't be there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doreen Davis For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (03-30-2016)

Zo caught hers on something at one point so we don't leave her unattended with it on anymore.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

Doreen Davis (03-31-2016)

House Broken
    IS OVERHEATING A CONCERN WHEN USING A THUNDERSHIRT?

Except in extreme conditions (e.g. 90 degrees Fahrenheit in the sun), overheating is not typically a concern when using a ThunderShirt. Dogs cool themselves primarily through their mouths and paws, and a ThunderShirt is constructed of a thin, breathable fabric. In fact, the state of Florida is one of our biggest markets. But if you feel that overheating might be a problem for your particular circumstance, please monitor your dog for any signs of overheating such as heavy panting or tongue hanging out of the mouth. Remove the ThunderShirt if you see any signs of overheating.

WHAT IF I SEE SIGNS OF DISCOMFORT OR IRRITATION WITH MY DOG OR CAT WHEN WEARING A THUNDERSHIRT?

Most dogs and cats love to wear ThunderShirts! We hear feedback from families all the time that their dog or cat literally seeks out their ThunderShirt in times of stress. When sized and put on properly, your dog or cat should be very comfortable wearing a ThunderShirt. Problems are very rare, but if you see any signs of skin irritation or physical discomfort, please discontinue use and contact us.

HOW LONG CAN I LEAVE A THUNDERSHIRT ON MY DOG OR CAT?

ThunderShirt is designed to be safe to leave on for extended periods of time when appropriate for the situation or issue. When properly sized and properly put on with a comfortably snug fit, your dog should be very comfortable. If your dog will be wearing a Thunder- Shirt for more than one hour at a time, we recommend removing ThunderShirt every one to two hours during the initial periods to check for any signs of irritation points. Irritation points are very rare, but it is best to be cautious.

House Broken

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos