Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tips for a conformation newbie?

So last year I thought "I show horses, I can show my dog, no problem." LOL. Needless to say, I didn't know what I was doing, and it showed.

I also got incredibly nervous the moment I stepped in the ring, which I didn't expect, and wasn't helped by the fact that the judge wasn't very nice.

I swore I would never show Quinn again (her breeder normally shows her), but now like an idiot I'm thinking of trying again.

There's a show literally 5 minutes away from me in May, breeder can't make it because she's working and I'm thinking I might just take her myself, clearly forgetting the trauma of my first attempt.

Anywho, for those who handle in conformation, any tips to a. calm my nerves, and b. look like less of a newbie?

Someone helpfully showed me how to hold the lead after my failed attempt, but I'm still so lost when it comes time for the judge to go over her. Is my job just to hold her still? Should I stand or kneel? How do I prevent her from shying away or jumping up?

Thanks!
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

have you considered taking a few show handling classes between now and then? that could really help! maybe ask your breeder who'd she'd recommend in your area - i know theres a few up this way. you definitely want to get on that now if you're showing in May. Even a person the breeder knows that shows would be helpful to have a couple of hour-long "practice" runs with before you go to the show.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

Senior Dog
    I don’t show in conformation myself, but handling classes would be my suggestion as well. Our training center offers them on a drop-in basis, so if you can find something like that, you wouldn’t need to commit to a several week session.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

How about the relatively new novice handler class when you show? I don't know how all that works but have seen it held at a local show. The judge was very nice and helpful.

I do think you a class would be good. Maybe a local training center who does not hold classes in handling might have or know of someone who could give you some pointers.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    So last year I thought "I show horses, I can show my dog, no problem." LOL. Needless to say, I didn't know what I was doing, and it showed.

I also got incredibly nervous the moment I stepped in the ring, which I didn't expect, and wasn't helped by the fact that the judge wasn't very nice.

I swore I would never show Quinn again (her breeder normally shows her), but now like an idiot I'm thinking of trying again.

There's a show literally 5 minutes away from me in May, breeder can't make it because she's working and I'm thinking I might just take her myself, clearly forgetting the trauma of my first attempt.

Anywho, for those who handle in conformation, any tips to a. calm my nerves, and b. look like less of a newbie?

Someone helpfully showed me how to hold the lead after my failed attempt, but I'm still so lost when it comes time for the judge to go over her. Is my job just to hold her still? Should I stand or kneel? How do I prevent her from shying away or jumping up?

Thanks!
    Do you have handling classes in your area? Or can you and a group of handlers -- maybe from your club -- get together and practice together? Or can you take a few private lessons from your breeder or someone in the club?

House Broken
    Handling classes would be the best, but if there aren't any around you could try watching YouTube videos. It's not the same, but.... Also practice in front of a mirror, or better yet, video yourself.
    As for nerves... just remember that it's just a dog show, and no matter what happens, you get to bring the best dog home.
    mom to:
    Carley (Impulse Revival of Sweetrox CGCA RN)
    Hex (UKC CH Stormy C's Black Magic)
    Luci (the husky that tries to act like the labs)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
    Handling classes would be the best, but if there aren't any around you could try watching YouTube videos. It's not the same, but.... Also practice in front of a mirror, or better yet, video yourself.
    As for nerves... just remember that it's just a dog show, and no matter what happens, you get to bring the best dog home.
    Also, you always feel worse than you look. Have someone video. You'll probably be presently surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post

Thanks!
    Horse shows and dog shows are a bit different. :-)

Dog show conformation judges only have two minutes to spend on each dog, so you need to make every second count when it is your turn. They can get a little impatient with newer people, it isn't right but it happens. I am sorry that you had a judge that wasn't very nice to you..

Do you know of any match shows near you, or handling classes? Most dog training clubs have drop in classes, for conformation, and it is run just like a real dog show, but the trainer has time to spend with you, and the dog. I will say that practice practice practice will help you be a better handler, and the more comfortable you are, the less nervous you will be. Although I know a few people that still get very nervous and sick to their stomach before ring time.

One tip that works for me regarding nervousness, is to just focus on your dog, and the judge and don't worry about others in or outside the ring. Enjoy yourself and make it fun for your dog too. Remember to smile. Smile at your dog too.

Free stacking, hand stacking, gaiting, standing for exam, are all learned skills for your dog, the more experience and exposure they get to ring craft and procedure, the better they (and you) get. Start with a stand/stay and have your friends go over her, feeling all parts of her body, while you keep her head forward and her attention with a small piece of bait. Reward with a well timed "yes" when she is still, even for a few seconds at first, so she learns what the exam is all about. Have all your friends check her bite. Practice gaining at a good speed, on a loose lead. Practice gathering your lead in your left hand with no dangling bits that are distracting.

During the exam, your job job is to keep her still so the judge can asses her conformation, you can stand in front of her with bait, you can stand behind her with the collar in your left hand, either standing, or kneeling. I kneel sometimes with a young dog so I can keep them from sitting during the exam, with my hand under the away side flank. Just stay out of the judges way as much as possible, oh and most of the time now, I am asked to show my dogs bite in the ring, so make sure you know how.

Can an you meet with your breeder and play dog show a few times before the show? He/she should be an excellent resource to you if they sold you a show prospect, and should be mentoring you through this. Hit up some conformation classes too

Thanks for the helpful tips, everyone!

I've actually been to quite a few handling classes with two different clubs in my area. BUT they won't offer tips, just practice. So it runs just like a normal show except with TONS of other dogs all wanting their turn and it's a little rushed and no friendlier or more helpful than just going to an actual show, unfortunately.

My breeder is really helpful and gives me tips but mostly tells me to just go and have fun. I have the benefit of having a really good dog that she's been showing for me since she was a baby puppy - Quinn knows what she's doing Unfortunately her breeder is going to Potomac for a bit and isn't able to help me out for the next little while.

Maybe I'll just go and try again for the heck of it. I've been to enough shows with Quinn and handling classes and watched what happens, I just need to get over feeling so embarrassed!
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

I need help too! And Comet learned to sit
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos