Two days of intense training and off to Marin

-blinds-marks-3-31-16-jpg

3/31/16: We did these marks (longest/center maybe 125-150 yards) and then left all the equipment and bird bags in the field and ran the blinds. I haven't drawn Rocket Dog's performance. Her marks were great... but then, we took them as singles. The main issue with her on marks for the time being is jumping out in front when the birds go down. Having said that, her "jumping out" is a matter of 8 inches, maybe a foot. In training we're hoping to get that to zero. We're going for rock solid. So, we worked on that and picking up the birds was a piece of cake for her. I didn't show her blinds because they were OK. The autocasting issue is seemingly resolved, and she is planting her butt on the ground immediately with the whistle. Her main issue is taking the right line and carrying it. I think we can address much of this training on our own and using drills.

-blinds-marks-4-1-16-jpg

April 1, 2016: Ditto approach as above. The line was perched above a valley, looking down toward the center mark. Those thermals were interesting. The dogs would drive up the ridge, and if they didn't step on the bird, were bailing right down into the middle mark. Again, I'd expect RD to mark these well because we took them as singles. I totally demanded her feet in the right place before calling for the birds and/or sending her. I got more of what I wanted... but our standard is zero. Since she was getting some passive pressure on the line, I expected her to mismark somewhat, especially after watching a half a dozen dogs cave before reaching the left hand bird. But Rocket Dog front footed everything. Her blinds, again, were OK. We just need to get her lining out better.

So I'm busy all day tomorrow (our County Republican Convention... and I'm told it will be a food fight), then load the dog and the truck and drive 3.5 hours to Corning CA to run the Junior at Marin RC's Hunt Test.

After that we are in Hunt Test Hiatus until our club's HT beginning Thursday April 28th and going through Sunday.

Senior Dog
    You have some great concepts in these sets of marks under the arches, back siding old marks, through cover, through gaps etc. Your April 1st set up looks much like our back field, it is like a bowl and the winds swirl in every direction. I can see why the dogs would drop back down onto that middle mark.
    I have been following your different state primary and caucuses with fascination. It is sort of like watching a soap opera or a train wreck. Is your food fight figurative or literal?
    Good luck with RD at the Marin HT. She should ace it just like the last time.

Good luck!

Oh, it wasn't so much a food fight as it was a dumpster fire. Just kidding. The issues that were problematic were local and involved a disgruntled candidate (and his homey's) who was suing the local party in court. They had very little sympathy from the crowd. The good side of our crazy election this year was the number of people it is bringing out and getting active. Only God knows what the Republican National Convention and general election will bring.

Senior Dog
    Watching Wisconsin tonight.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos