Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Argh. Teach your children how to approach dogs!

Today at REI, an adorable *little* toddler (~15 months?) pointed at Hoku and happily called out "doggy!" The dad brought the babe off his shoulders and put him on the floor, and said "Do you want to say hi to the doggy?" Hoku was already sitting and smiling expectantly, so I dropped to "therapy dog" position, which is with my hand on her collar for complete control.

The adorable baby runs up Hoku and grabs her around the neck for a huge *hug*, shoving his face in hers. Hoku was fine, but kind of shot me a vaguely worried / confused "wtf?" look. The dad thanked me and off they went, but I actually wanted to stop him and read him the riot act on teaching his child how to approach dogs. For freak's sake. Hoku is a very sweet, mild-tempered dog with extensive obedience and some therapy dog training. But dad: YOUR 15 MONTH OLD, PERHAPS 22 LB CHILD JUST ESSENTIALLY ATTACKED MY PUBESCENT DOG, SHOVING HIS PERFECT LITTLE FACE UP AGAINST JAWS THAT CAN CRACK A HUMAN BONE. DON'T DO THAT AGAIN.

Jesus. It was over so fast I was still in shock. I hope to god he never lets his child do that again. I've had children sort of manhandle Hoku—head pats, the "cobra" pet—and she is very tolerant (and I always correct them and tell them how to properly pet a dog). But a fast in-your-face hug is one of the most dangerous things you can do to *any* strange dog. Sheesh. The thought that this baby might do that with another dog is frightening. Why do parents allow this? He didn't even say "can he come say hi to the dog?" Do people even know how powerful dogs are?

Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

The Dad was clueless, absolutely clueless. That child is learning that this behavior is totally accepted and I fear for her. Some other dog may not be as accepting of her behavior.

When getting Bandit used to small children I would have him do a reverse heel, facing backward. A child was allowed to pet his back while I kept my hand beside his head so he could watch the child but I had complete control if needed. It did not take him long to get used to kids with all the grands coming into the house and he quickly learned to want to be part of their antics.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

3. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (04-03-2016)

I don't think most dogs would be as accepting as Hoku was. And she was noticeably not Ok with it. No real stress signs, but definitely pulled her had back a bit and shot me a glance. She was happy and wagging when the child came up, but definitely wasn't expecting a huge neck hug. I felt bad, because it all happened so quickly—had I known, I'd not have allowed the child close. I just expected the dad to do what most adults do, which is be right their with their child, and allow me to talk to the child about how to pet the dog. This child was young, but verbal enough to know "soft" and "no hug" and such.

I have never had a parent just let a toddler run up to Hoku. But because it happened so quickly and the father was not near the child at the time, had the situation gone badly, (1) I would have been the only one to be able to respond, (2) the babe's face was so up in Hoku's any response would have been nearly useless, and (3) it would have been Hoku's fault.

I really don't fear Hoku's reactions at all (or I would never let any child approach her). But this kind of behavior is what results in a lot of dog bites that are not the dog's fault​.
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

Senior Dog
    Yeah...Sunnie is a Hoku, but Dan gets nervous. I don't think he'd react except to look at me like "help"...but I don't trust any dog to not bite if it's nervous. I hold Dan's head whenever there's a small child interacting with him "just in case".

Our Akita girl was a Hoku. We were passing the house of one of our neighbors decades ago when a (young teenage?) girl came running out of the house, yelling something unidentifiable but clearly terribly happy to be seeing a doggy. She caught up to us and proceeded to "pet" Kiku by hitting her around her head and neck. Kiku moved her face out of harms way and tried to lick her (to calm her down?). Our neighbor was close behind...come to find out, this girl was autistic and a niece who was visiting. Good Kiku!

What I find interesting is the number of adults who "rough up" my dogs, meaning to pet them. Our one neighbor has been told several times to please not treat them roughly...they think they're being hit. (not just these two sensitive souls, but every dog I've ever had for the past, oh, 25 years). Or, if you're going to "pet" their heads, please do so gently...not like you're trying to use your hand like a fly swatter.

I run into a lot of people around here who are either visibly afraid of dogs or else maybe just don't trust any dogs...and grab their kids to go off the walking path on the other side to avoid Sunnie and Danny (who are leashed and held close to me when passing anyone). There are a lot of kids who are going to grow up afraid of/disliking dogs because of their parents. I give real props to the father I meet often with his two little boys...the boys run up to the dogs very happily while the father stands a bit away (he has explained his fear and not wanting to pass it along).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (04-03-2016)

So now you know, it's YOUR job to protect your dog and teach the kid. Sad but true. I've been surprised the same way. More than once as I expected the parent to know better. Now I know better.

Good girl Hoku. Mine have displayed the same reaction but my sister's first dog bit a couple of kids.

You can talk to the parent, you'd be doing them a service, they are ignorant and it's not their fault. After one parent chastised his son for being leery of my dog by saying, "You know dogs don't bite" I told him, yes some do bite, and they might be especially nervous around a child acting as yours is, shrieking and flailing his arms and jumping up and down. "Well those dogs shouldn't be out here (car show) then" he said. To which I agreed but I added, "People are supposed to stop at red lights and not drive drunk but you teach your child to look before he crosses the street anyway, don't you?"
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (04-03-2016)

The only reason I can think of that might explain them (not a good reason) would be that they also had a black lab that let the child do that. Horribly dangerous for the parent and child to continually do. But congrats to you and Hoku! What excellent training on both of your parts!

Someone mentioned roughing up for petting. You mean the dreaded overzealous head pet that is actually a hit? No dog likes that and I can't, for the life of me, understand why people do it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (04-03-2016)

The father is a complete boob!

TEAM TRAD
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (04-03-2016)

I was at the vet yesterday to pick up Charlie's ear drops. He wasn't with me, thank God. When I arrived, there was a very nervous Pug who was growling and barking at everyone. Soon after, a lady arrived with a very stressed out Border Collie mix who was barking hysterically. And then, to top it off, a man arrived with a TODDLER, perhaps 18 months. He proceeded to put the toddler down and allow him to walk around. I got my drops and made a hasty exit from that chaos. I can't imagine what would posses a parent to do that.
    Hidden Content

Woodecoy's Madawaska Charlie.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandra For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (04-03-2016)

At one of Luna's therapy dog visits at an elementary school, all 22 children rushed up to her at once from every direction and just started hugging her, petting her, yelling...

We didn't go back to that classroom again. I agree. Kids and even adults should know how to interact with dogs appropriately.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (04-03-2016)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeps83 View Post
    The only reason I can think of that might explain them (not a good reason) would be that they also had a black lab that let the child do that. Horribly dangerous for the parent and child to continually do. But congrats to you and Hoku! What excellent training on both of your parts!

Someone mentioned roughing up for petting. You mean the dreaded overzealous head pet that is actually a hit? No dog likes that and I can't, for the life of me, understand why people do it.
    The hit is what I described as using a hand as a fly swatter.....SMACK!!!

Roughing up is rough rubbing of the coat and skin....almost like giving the dog noogies, usually on the head/neck/back. It's obvious that dogs don't think of that as getting a nice massage.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (04-03-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos