Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

REmembers and Misses His Grandma?

Some of you remember my Mum passed away in July of 2014. We'd sold the house in October of 2013 so Oban hasn't been to Grandma's house in over two years. Or seen his Grandma for nearly two years. We were early for Easter Supper the other week so OH said, "Let's drive by your Mum's house and see what it's like now." We'd heard it wasn't very well taken care of. One of Mum's friends had commented that the 94 year old looked after it better than the 40 year olds who bought it.

So on the way we talked about it, about Mum, about stuff. And then, when we actually drove by, Oban really reacted in the back seat. He had already sat up, he whined, he paced, he displayed a fair bit of anxiety. Did he know/remember the way to his Grandma's? Did he know we passed it without going in? I'm a firm believer in letting a surviving pet view a deceased pet's body but you can't do that with people very well. Does Oban maybe even think Grandma should still be in her house? Or that if we're not going to visit her at the nursing home then her own home is where she must be?

Any similar reactions in yours? I suppose it could be the same for a house you moved from, if you drove back by it?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Bamps (04-08-2016)

I'm sure he remembers the route, the house and your Grandma being there. I see it often when I take Archie to his favorite spots.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (04-05-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    I'm sure he remembers the route, the house and your Grandma being there. I see it often when I take Archie to his favorite spots.
    Hmmm, I didn't think of it being the same with other spots. Is Archie like that with spots he hasn't been to for two years?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    I think they do remember that long. We brought Kimber's buddy over to our house, the first time in 3 years, and he started whimpering in excitement about three turns before getting to our house.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (04-05-2016)

Luna remembered one of her friend's houses after a year. I think they know the route for sure.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Snowshoe (04-05-2016)

Oh I know they remember that long. We have dogs that only come every other year to Dog Scout Camp. Some as long as 5 years between visits. It always surprises the owners that they remember it so well. Some dogs howl with joy when they turn on the road to camp. Our Second year Hemi was dancing in the back seat. So they remember very well. There is a whole lot more going on in their heads than what we know.

I remember seeing a show on animals and they were trying to gauge intelligence by if an animal looked in the mirror and knew they were themselves. Which my Dog as a kid would just bark at itself in the mirror sometimes. Hemi knows the mirror and understands his reflection. I have a huge full length mirror outside the bedroom. Sometimes I sneak up behind him and play the I am going to get your but game. He watches me in the mirror and spins to avoid it at the last moment. He will also do this on our reflection on the sliding glass doors. There is definitely way more going on in their heads than we know.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Bamps (04-08-2016), classiq (04-05-2016), Meeps83 (04-05-2016), MikeLynn (04-07-2016), outrag (04-05-2016), Snowshoe (04-05-2016)

Oh I'm sure Oban remembered that was Grandma's house. With my last 2 boys, we moved 2x. They ALWAYS remembered their old houses. Kinda sad the 1st move. It had been (other than Joan's house-the breeder) the only home Mags knew, and he was 3 when we moved. We lived in the old house while renovating the new house for about 2 months, and the boys came every day to the new house for the day (stayed with parents and trades people) while we went to work. The day we actually moved, they didn't get it - why is their stuff in the new house? and then about 4 days later, a trip back to the old house to clean and check it, boy were they excited when we got close. They couldnt hardly wait to get in the door, they dashed in, and into the very empty living room, and all of a sudden, happy excited bouncy dogs were rather dejected looking hang-dogs. We got home to the new house, and they seemed much happier and more adjusted from then on.
    2nd move, same kind of situation, had a month of overlap to do renovations, they were at the new house almost every day prior to the move (plus it had been friends' house so they were already familiar with it). Off to doggy daycare the day of the move, picked up at end of day and brought to the new house, and surprised looks on their faces that all their stuff was now there. Back to the old house a day or 2 later, and they sniffed around the empty place, but it was not anything like the 1st move-i think they "got it" when they saw all their stuff at the new house.
    Scout absolutely KNOWS when he's going to Dead Duck Day, he starts singing and howling about 2 miles back. Same thing with Dog School, or daycare/boarding place. He knows where he;s going when we turn a certain way.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

We're staying in Oregon right now at a cottage right next door to a cottage we rented last year. When we pulled in the driveway and got out of the car we walked up to the front door and Thor went the other way - on the other cottage's front porch, tail wagging and big smile. I'm sure he remembered the fun times from last year.

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar
    I drove with Barley over to a few blocks from the house I had to sell in my divorce in the country. I wanted to collect walnuts as I did every October. I was going to quickly grab a bagful from the ground and leave him in the car. (He was exhausted from day care all day - and I was in heels and work clothes - and was just going for a quick walnut grab.) He would not hear of it - and freaked out with excitement. He knew where we were and recognized it from all of our walks. He had to come walnut picking with me - in the dirt - in my heels. It was not pretty - but he was happy.
    Forever in my heart - Sweet gentle Moby - lover of belly rubs, bacon, and Barbara 9-10-2001 to 11-2-2015

I used to take my little Annie out to my sisters farm all the time, plus if I was held up at work she or my BIL would drive to my place and get Annie. When we moved to VA it was a couple years before we were able to come back. While driving to my sisters Annie got up and got really excited when I turned off on to the route leading to the road before we ever turned down into the hollow. So yes I truly they remember places that they have enjoyed and spent time.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos