Marin RC Junior Series.

-marin-rc-junior-land-4-3-16-jpg
    This was the land series. It was easy peasy. The only dogs that were not brought back were the ones that eliminated themselves by not returning with the bird or not delivering to hand.

-marin-rc-junior-water-4-3-16-jpg

It was fun to have two live fliers in Junior. Only a few dogs went out on the water. Nothing was hard. The dogs just had to have enough drive to get to the bird and back.

On the judge's sheets RD would have looked perfect. But I was seeing all the squirrely behavior in the holding blind and at the line, her front-ending me (more than in training... like 18 inches instead of 3-4.)

She was worse in that regard than she was at NorCal and I'm pretty sure she just demonstrated that we should never-ever-never run two events in two weekends in a row. So we will spend the next three weeks trying to put the lid back on and screwing her down again. (The pro calls it decompressing.)

But that's OK. I find back to back HT's with the driving and so forth very exhausting.

Senior Dog
    Our pro recommended not running back to back events. I have found this to be good advice. I now don't even like to run todays in a row. I find the second day M is high and I am tired.

Senior Dog
    Our pro recommended not running back to back events. I have found this to be good advice. I now don't even like to run two days in a row. I find the second day M is high and I am tired.

My pro is saying the same thing.

RD had never seen a HT and I'd never run junior either. I think it was an object lesson for both of us. Two things. First, I have learned how she winds herself up more than I could have imagined. Second... how on earth will we ever be able to handle a Master that goes for two days? Let alone a Master National that goes for (what??) 5 series??? assuming you get past the first one or two or three?

We have our work cut out for us. I thought my standards were pretty high for obedience around the house and in the park and so on. But now we are upping it a notch or two. This along with denial (no ducks if not utterly and completely steady)... she has to earn everything.

Senior Dog
    It is really hard to simulate the excitement and nervousness level of a HT or FT at a regular training. There is just something in the air at the event that can`t be duplicated and the dogs sure pick up on it. Having events on our property has helped with getting M accustomed to strangers and strange dogs being around. Now if I could just get over the butterflies even after soooo many years.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos