Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fight :(

Fight :(

I heard the whistle. Then I saw the dog, the big Brittany, Remi. Oh, oh, Remi is intact. But we've never had any trouble with him. Oh, oh, another Britt. Neither is paying any attention to the whistle.

I go on, the man and I meet at the corner. He's parked on the road and come in from a different direction so I didn't get any alerts from Oban. Remi goes bounding down to see Oban who is sniffing back behind me. The man and I greet, comment on the heavy snowfall that's just started. Remi and Oban posture. I comment to the man that we have two intact males here. He might not know since the last time we met Remi there was no sign of the man, or his other dog, also intact but only one year old.

Well after they posture and growl and have a minor skirmish I whistle Oban and on we go. But Remi comes too. Past his owner and down the trail after us. The man is whistling and yelling and Remi is paying no attention at all. I keep going, Oban keeps coming with me, growling at Remi to bugger off and let him sniff in peace. The man asks me to stop so he can catch Remi.

I made a mistake, I did stop. As soon as the man and I were both with the dogs and not moving they got into it again but he did manage to grab Remi. Then I grabbed Oban. Then the puppy flew in to attack Oban. The man somehow managed to hold on to Remi and grab the pup too. There was some real good tooth exchange going on, lots of action and lots of noise. Not the most serious encounter I've seen Oban in and no where near fights I've seen Teddy in, but more than enough, thank you. The man is now sitting, holding both his dogs, exclaiming, "Geez, shit, geez, shit." He asks if everybody is ok, they are, we are.

I hold on to Oban for a good long way as we leave in the direction we were going anyway and it occurs to me, we are heading to where the man parked his car. Maybe that's one reason Remi was so persistent? Then I wonder, if he just started his walk and so did we are we going to meet on the other side of a loop? Well we didn't, he must have waited for us to get well ahead and gone right back to his car, judging by tracks in the fresh snow.

Oban was the only dog who listened to his owner's voice and whistle; I am pleased about that. But when push comes to shove Oban will shove back. Two on one, I'm not sure he had much choice. I'm still a bit shook up. We did at the end of our walk have a nice meeting with the little, old Cocker Spaniel girl who likes Oban and forsook her owner to come meet him, only him, rarely me. It was nice for me to see a happy, non-confrontational doggy meeting, helped me cool down a bit. Oban seemed to cool down a lot faster than me.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

If his dogs don't respond to voice or whistle it's time for them to go back on at least a long line until they are reliable off leash. Glad nobody was hurt.

scary, fights always make my heart rate go up even afterwards. glad no one was hurt. And for sure that dog needs to be on leash but obviously you have no say in that it's a crap shoot. Would almost need his cell number so you can text and avoid each other

Senior Dog
    Ugh! Glad it wasn’t worse. Things like that are why I prefer taking my dogs to places where there are unlikely to be other dogs around.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Glad nobody was hurt! But I agree that those dogs need to be on some sort of leash since they can't listen.
    Jess

Dixie~Rescue~GSD mix~Gotcha Day:10/6/10

Rebel~Rescue~GSD/lab mix~Gotcha Day:2/20/16
    (Gunner the border collie mix and Daisy Dukes the GSP also pictured)
    Hidden Content
    In memory of.....Hidden Content
    Tippsy~chow~9/2/00-4/26/11
    Jasper~chow/lab mix~"10/31/08"-10/23/14
    Todd~Pomeranian~"2/14/11"-7/29/15

*Formerly Chowder*

So glad no one was hurt!! Good Boy Oban, for listening to your mom!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    I'm glad you and Oban are OK!!!

Im glad you are both ok. I am still having issues from e attack Molly was in. I am so much more hyper vigilant around dogs. That never used to be an issue.

Ugh so scary! Glad you are all okay!!!

So glad both of you are OK. That could have gotten nasty. Do agree with the others, those two need to be on leashes. So nice to be able to end the tip on a high note though.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos