Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    House Broken

Dog vomiting - what to do?

So nothing new in his diet. He is on a raw diet, mostly chicken for the meat.

Few weeks ago he had diarrhea for two nights (only at night, of course when I am trying to sleep) but no issues since.

Well last night he threw up three times in house before I was finally able to get him outside. Don't think he threw up again, did not see any in yard. Oh that is best part: he only EVER gets sick in the house and on my carpet. Never on kitchen floor, never in yard. Always in house on carpet.

Well today he seems fine so I make him some rice, whole egg, plain greek yogurt, and peanut butter. Mixed together and fed him that. He ate, drank a bowl of water, and then laid on carpet. I went for a bike ride, probably half hour or so I was gone. When I come back he has vomited in house again, everything that he was fed. While I was getting stuff to clean that he vomits again on carpet.

I just put him outside but I have no idea what to do here. Do I go couple days not feeding him? Do I feed him something different? Is he eating too fast and that causing the issue?

Otherwise he seems completely normal. Energy level is the same. He plays with kid, went for walk and short run yesterday. Sunday he swam in pond and did some retrieves.

But that is at least 5 vomits in last 21 hours, assuming he did in house only and none in yard.

Any and all thoughts?

I would be in touch with my vet, especially when.it is so warm. After resting for 24 hours I have only fed rice/chicken or rice/ground beef, not sure I would have added the peanut butter. Also, vomiting usually happens inside on carpet, furniture or your bed, in the middle of the night! I am pretty sure this is a rule!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

BILBO (06-10-2014), fan of fanboys (06-10-2014)

House Broken
    I will probably let him sleep outside tonight. Weather will be nice and he sleeps outside sometimes. Tomorrow I will call vet.

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    ... Also, vomiting usually happens inside on carpet, furniture or your bed, in the middle of the night! I am pretty sure this is a rule!
    Yep. It's gotta be a "RULE". Cause that's when and where it happens here.
    Hope all is well and have a great day

Fred Henry

House Broken
    Should I take him for a walk tonight or let him relax?

I would keep him quiet with water available.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

fan of fanboys (06-10-2014)

I would say you need to take him to the vet. Why wait? My girl has vomiting episodes every few months (cause unknown). My rule of thumb for her is if she vomits up her food more than once, I stop giving her food and treats, and I take her to the vet as soon as possible, to avoid dehydration. Vomiting 5 times is a lot and he could be getting dehydrated now. The vet usually gives Roxy a Cerenia shot, then sends us home with Prescription Gastrointestinal canned food and a box of Cerenia tablets. If she's dehydrated, they give her subcutaneous fluids. When we get home from the vet, I give her a couple spoon fulls of the prescription food to see if she can keep it down with the Cerenia. You have to start slow. If she can keep it down, I wait a while and give her some more. If she can't keep it down, I hold off for a while for the Cerenia to kick in and her stomach to settle down. Hope that helps.
    - LS2Erin

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    b. 12/17/12
    My rock 'n roll star.
    Hidden Content
    10/09/00 - 01/24/12
    My pride and joy, R.I.P.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ls2erin For This Useful Post:

Poor guy. He sounds like he feels icky.

Quote Originally Posted by BILBO View Post
    Yep. It's gotta be a "RULE". Cause that's when and where it happens here.
    Nah, mine goes to the hardwood or tile floor to throw up
    - LS2Erin

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    b. 12/17/12
    My rock 'n roll star.
    Hidden Content
    10/09/00 - 01/24/12
    My pride and joy, R.I.P.

I do agree with the vet ASAP and I would not keep a sick dog outside. How will you know if there is more vomiting or if he gets worse?
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos