Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Parks

Dog Parks

How does everyone feel about dog parks? I took the girls there they other day and they had the best time! They were slobbering so much. I just know it is an uncontrolled environment for most if they do not have control of their dogs by commands and as well as I don't know many of the dogs temperaments that are there. I just couldn't imagine if something happened I would feel so guilty.

I take Milo to a dog park just a few minutes from my house. He loves it there and so far, everyone has been real nice. All the dogs have been wonderful and of course, Milo, being a goofy lab, just loves everyone and their dogs. There are some agility props there and Milo seems to like running up and down the ramp and through the tunnel. There was one dog that seemed a little aggressive but Milo recognized this and kept his distance. There are usually 5 to 20 dogs there every weeknight and sometimes more on the weekends.

You're going to find a lot of mixed opinions on dog parks here, for all the reasons you stated! For some people though they can be a life changer (because having a tired dog is really just the best). I think if you can find a good dog park where you form relationships with people and know most of the dogs, then it can be a good thing.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

Dog Parks are awesome. It's the people that sometimes show up that are the problem.

We do not go to them anymore. Too many idiots in the world that just bring dogs there and let them go and then don't pay attention. Don't get me wrong there are good people there but there are a lot of bad too. They go as for as much a social event for themselves rather than for the dogs. Let the dogs loose and bury their nose in the phone. They don't pick up after their dog cause they do not see it. When I did go, I was laser focused on what Hemi was doing.

I go to a baseball field or something like that fenced in and throw balls or frisbee for Hemi.

Senior Dog
    We don’t go. Cookie is the only girl I’ve had who really wanted to meet and play with strangers; Mulder would have but as he was intact I worried about other dogs reacting badly. The other girls wouldn’t have much interest in it - they only want to play with my other dogs. Fortunately we have a fenced yard and access to plenty of open spaces for off-lead play. If I lived in an apartment or town house, I might be more interested in them.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Yeah, I see what you all are saying. Unfortunately we just moved to this new city and I am just not too familiar with where there is even a baseball park!! I literally went back home to my parents which is about 20 minutes away and took them to the dog park by my old house. LOL Luckily we have a large fenced in yard as well so that is a huge plus. When I went to the dog park by my old house, immediately when I brought them in they were bombarded by about 10 other dogs and every single owner walked over to me and watched their dog. I guess I am just afraid that I will go to another park (closer to me) and experience a different type of atmosphere or people for that matter. I did experience the type of people whos dog was not getting along with other dogs and luckily they left. But I just made sure to keep my dogs in the other section where people were being attentive and I guess that is the best I can do when it comes to that sort of thing. Maybe I will look for a baseball field tonight.... Next question UH OH isn't it baseball season?! or is that only for the PROS. haha :]

Thanks guys!!

For a long time, I had hard feelings towards dog parks. It stemmed from my girl Dixie, and my chow/lab mix boy Jasper being attacked at what used to be our city's only dog park on more than one occasion. It took me 4 years to give it another try. Thankfully at a different park that opened 2 years ago. We've been going once a week for a month and a half now and we love it. Dixie's leanedand toned up again. She's gotten her playfulness and endurance back. And her social skills with other dogs has improved tenfold. Her recall and listening skills have actually improved as well.

We're very blessed to have found such an awesome dog park around us. We've seen a couple dogs that shouldn't have been taken there but their owners were quick to remove them. Thankfully.
    Jess

Dixie~Rescue~GSD mix~Gotcha Day:10/6/10

Rebel~Rescue~GSD/lab mix~Gotcha Day:2/20/16
    (Gunner the border collie mix and Daisy Dukes the GSP also pictured)
    Hidden Content
    In memory of.....Hidden Content
    Tippsy~chow~9/2/00-4/26/11
    Jasper~chow/lab mix~"10/31/08"-10/23/14
    Todd~Pomeranian~"2/14/11"-7/29/15

*Formerly Chowder*

Best Friend Retriever soberbyker's Avatar
    Zeke and I go to a couple dog parks a lot. Although I try to go at off times so there are little to no other dogs. I've posted quite a few photo's/video here on the forum of our visits.

The parks are a mixed blessing, the one closest to home is fenced in, there is a small side for little dogs and a large side for the big guys. The small side doesn't get used as much as the big side and if there are no little dogs in there that's where I'll play with Zeke. Zeke loves the big side but it's too much of a free-for-all for my liking, everyone trying to learn the pecking order and whatnot, it can get rough.

There's another off leash park, and it's huge so there's rarely any posturing going on, but it's not fenced in and Zeke hasn't learned to stay close and listen when called with distraction.

Will not go to our city park. It is a nice facility but too many incidences mainly because people were not watching.

There is a park at the beach (Lake Michigan) which is very nice and Archie likes that. Also, another park where you have to pay a yearly fee or $5 per visit. Nice lake. I find the folks there very nice, attentive, and their dogs well behaved.

So, it al depends on the people and the park.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

House Broken
    I work at a Veterinary Specialty/ER and we have dog park casualties in all the time. From minor scraps and abrasions to dead dogs. One client had both of her Brittany's (neutered) killed by one Lab mix (neutered). Crushing wounds to their throats, one dead on arrival, the other died within minutes of arriving. Owner of the Lab mix showed remarkable responsibility, came to the clinic, paid all the incurred costs, swore the dog had never shown aggression in the past and had been a dog park regular for several years.

You never know what may trigger an unprovoked attack. I understand those who choose to use the parks, just an experience I choose not to give my dogs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dogmom For This Useful Post:

LilLucy (04-10-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos