SPCA 5k doggy dash

I just entered Milo and myself in a 5k doggy dash fundraiser on Saturday. I've never been on anything like this and I was wondering if anybody has any tips for us? I'm not too worried about Milo as he loves everyone but there is no telling how many rude dogs will be there.

My boss was strangely supportive of this and actually gave me the day off. Not sure why, this is very uncharacteristic of him.

Have not done one of these. A day off, grand.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

These are pretty fun, just keep moving. I am assuming all the dog will be on leash. Most going this distance will not have any issues. It might be a little hectic starting, but by the end the dogs have all burned off a lot of energy. Make sure you get plenty of rest so you both have plenty of energy and all rested up.

Remember water and bowls for both of you. There are 2 types of bowls I like for this. Most pent stores should have both kinds.

This kind fold up in your pocket.
    Amazon.com : Outward Hound Kyjen 23002 Port A Bowl Collapsible Travel Dog Food Bowl Water Bowl, Large, Blue : Pet Travel Bowls : Pet Supplies

This kind collapse and hang from a caribiner, they are more rigid.
    Pet Supplies : Collapsible Travel Dog Bowl * Set of 3 * by Buster Pets - Carabiners Included - Perfect Dogs Food Water Bowl - Dishwasher Safe Premium Food Grade Silicone - BPA Free 100% Money Back Guarantee : Amazon.com

Both are a good investment either way, depending what your doing. The harder one that collapses is always in the car in the glove box. You never know when you need a drink for the furkid. The foldable one is great for backpacking. It is a little to close to the race to get a good backpack. However for long hikes, Hemi and I wear backpacks, he carries his water and stuff and I carry mine. However it takes some time to get them used to the whole backpack thing. Something you might want to look into though.

See this post for Hemi and I hiking
    Dad's happy and sad.

Edited to add, Don't forget poop bags!!!!! Bring a whole roll, there will be people that forgot.

isn't Milo like 7 months ish? Are you planning to walk or run?

Generally pretty crowded at the start line then eventually spreads out. dogs of all kinds. if you are not sure how milo will do keep the short shorter (4 ft VS 6ft) and manage him. keep distance with other dogs, ask before letting him meet them. watch his body language. have treats or whatever and keep "in touch" wtih him.

Great tips! I didn't even think about a water bowl. The map shows several water stations along the route so I will head to Petsmart tonight and pickup one of those collapsible bowls. Milo is almost 6 months now and we will be walking so it's shouldn't be too hard on the little guy plus we can leave if he starts to get too worn out. I suspect he will be able to go longer than I will. I will have his slip lead on him and a pocket full of treats so he won't go too far from me.

A co-worker will be there with his 6mo old golden named Watson. Milo and Watson are buddies from daycare so we'll probably stay together.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TT120 For This Useful Post:

Tanya (04-07-2016)

I've done the Doggy Dash in Sacramento with Satchel. It's fun. At the end there is like a big dog area with events, booths, etc. Lots of samples and merchandise. You'll be walking on concrete drives through the park so try to get Milo to do his business before the walk. It's always awkward when a dog decides that the middle of path is great place to leave a pile. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by TT120 View Post
    Great tips! I didn't even think about a water bowl. The map shows several water stations along the route so I will head to Petsmart tonight and pickup one of those collapsible bowls. Milo is almost 6 months now and we will be walking so it's shouldn't be too hard on the little guy plus we can leave if he starts to get too worn out. I suspect he will be able to go longer than I will. I will have his slip lead on him and a pocket full of treats so he won't go too far from me.

A co-worker will be there with his 6mo old golden named Watson. Milo and Watson are buddies from daycare so we'll probably stay together.
    You may want to carry water too. Depending on the "Water Stations" some of those are just big troughs or like Half Barrels filled with water. However a bunch of thirst dogs slobbering in there doesn't make for the most sanitary water. There are doggy diseases and stuff spread via saliva. So I would make sure your carrying your own supply.

Also with Milo's age just take your time and I am sure Milo will remind you to stop and smell the roses, dog pee, whatever else he may find. Just have fun with him.

Well, that was a lot of fun. Milo was the perfect gentleman all day. It was raining a little but there were still several thousand people and dogs there. Everyone was great and not one single problem between dogs. I'm pretty proud of my little buddy, he was being a good boy all day long.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TT120 For This Useful Post:

Jeff (04-11-2016), kimbersmom (04-09-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos