Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

At a Loss: managing the cost of an old dog

I just seem to be chasing my tail these days financially. i have zero savings having blown thru it all on some house stuff and the dogs. I make a good salary but live alone so higher cost of living. I have made some cuts in discretionary spending (cut tv, cheaper internet, cut the phone line).

But rocky's vet bills are killing me. and it's not for a surgery or fixing something it's all ongoing management. His meds are $150/month. we always seem to be at the vets ($90/visit). He needs bloodwork every 6 months ($150 min) for his use of rheumacam. The vet recommended rehab which I had to x-nay cuz we were talking $800 for 6 visits and i just said I CANNOT do that (the visit would include laser, eletric whatever to help muscles, and the underwater treadmill). We did some laser which was cheaper and doing some rehab at home.

this week teh vet mentionned maybe adding a third drug and i was just like... i can't. luckily in the end he siad rocky seemed fine and we didn't need to add that right now but i'm just so at a looss.

After buying heartworm I will have spend $1000 in the last three months on just ongoing stuff and that IS NOT INCLUDING ROCKY'S MEDS. just vet visits, laser, and two 4dx's and hw meds and visit/recheck. and I know his bloodwork is coming up and then ongoing meds. I need to buy a harness for him to help manage things. and this isn't even their yearly physical checks or shots (which are done in the fall)

I want to do all I can for rocky but i am digging deeper financially. i am running out of places to cut. I cannot manage to save ANY money with all this.

How do you manage? I don't imagine all people are spending all this money on their senior dogs? I keep feeling depressed either about rocky's health or my financial health (or both at once).

I absolutely HATE that money has to be a serious consideration when caring for a furkid but it does. I have been forced to make some tough decisions in my life because of money but that's the nature of the beast. One of the first thing you learn when becoming a first responder, (fire, emt, and so on) is that you HAVE to take care of yourself and make sure YOU are going to be ok before you do anything to help anyone else because you cannot save anyone if you're dead. That lesson applies to a lot of things in life as well. Make sure you are ok first then help. If you go broke, you can't take care of your buddy at all. Take care of Rocky the best you can and don't feel guilty about the tough decisions. (I know that's easier to say than do)

It's really hard. Homing seniors we know that vet expenses are going to be high. I can't afford pet insurance because the rates for seniors is exorbitant. What I started years ago was having my bank move a specific amount of money from checking to savings twice a month. This is my doggy emergency fund. If I can afford a bill without dipping into it, I leave it be. It's more for something like an emergency surgery, etc.

You're really in a tight spot. Talk to the vet about the cost of meds. Talk to any who are involved in his health care; you'll be surprised that most will cut at least a few bucks off the bill. Check if there are generics or an on line supplier (I have used 1-800-Petmeds and Foster and Smith) and have saved some. Fortunately, vet office visits are not too bad but the yearly checkups can be expensive. With Mardi now with end-of-life issues, it's expensive.

Only hint I can give, which I also do, is every day take any change you have in your purse and put it in a can. If you have an extra dollar, it gets put in too. It does add up. I try to do this to cover yearly checkups.

Bless you for doing everything that Rocky needs.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (04-07-2016), Charlotte K. (04-08-2016), doubledip1 (04-07-2016)

I hear you. Cookie is not on medication currently, but is on Flexadin, which is not cheap at all. Add physical therapies to that, all the vet visits and a surgery in the last 8 months, I literally live from paycheck to paycheck. And we also have to do bloodwork and 4D this month.

When I run out of money I cut the Flexadin, but I really do my best not to.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Thanks guys

For medication I get the gabapentin for half the price at costco (vs what the vet charges). The Rheumacam I am finding that the 200mg bottle cna last me 3 months which is nice and the 200mg bottle is much much cheaper than the 100mg (it's actually pretty insane). there was another brand that is cheaper but the vet doesn't carry it so i'd have to schedule a visit/physical with ANOTHER vet (and in the end i am not sure how much cheaper it really is) to get a prescription there. There is a "human drug" which is crazy less expensive but not clear it's safe or appropriate for dogs (even though the receptionist at the vet mentioned it).

My vet clinic charges more for everything (like the 4dx can be $75/80 in other clinics) but I prefer how he does a full exam. and in order to get any meds from other vets I need to get an exam done there. so I am sorta gonna look around for another vet that does as good an exam but a tad cheaper. I get the feeling this clinic is used to peopel with more $ and those willing to spend more (heck I see many still get their gabapentin at the vet's and like I said, it's twice a much as going to a pharmacy).

I don't get the feeling the clinic woudl do more than allow payments. In fact when i was there Tuesday they asked if I wanted to grab the hw preventative and I said I couldn't afford it this month. so clearly i am being upfront about having issues now (before I wasn't).

Berna: i can't imaigne, especially after all the $ on surgeries and rehab for your pup on top of the other stuff. I know people spend MUCH more than me especially anyone going thru a surgery but it kills me that this is all "ongoing" "management" costs (VS something specific like a surgery to fix something).

I think a big thing is i need to ask more questions and ask for more alternatives. I am used to having more money so I could "go along" with more but i've spent it all and it's coming more often now so I need to make decisions. I won't let him be in pain but at some poitn...

The vet also recommended a teeth cleaning but not seing that as being an option (plus sedating an older dog). his lips are another ongoing issue...

I feel what you are going through Tanya. This has been my life story since about 2008 when I lost my credit job. I made good $ when I got both my babies and spent a lot of $ on supplements, toys, ANYthing my dogs needed or wanted. Then I lost my job and with it-my career and ability to make that kind of $. There was in fact a thread about this where someone kinda gave me the 3rd degree for getting in above my head with 2 dogs that I "couldn't afford" or something like that.
    Then came Montana's dx. And Dakota's Lymes.

I have used my credit card way more than I should have. My husband doesn't even know the extent of the $ I have spent on them both. I do what PopTop does kind of-each paycheck I take what is not already owed to bills (not much) and divide it between envelopes, one is for the Dogs. When I am in a jam I have to cut the preventives (heartguard, advantix) but I try to do that only in the colder months. Many times I have left my vets office feeling like they may be thinking I should do more, pay more. In fact when I lost my job and couldn't get back into that field I was upfront with them and so each time I would go if there was a problem, I would say flat out-tell me what NEEDS to be done, tell me what you think you would do for your dog and then tell me what I can get by with. I had to do it that way. Losing Montana recently -I wanted to know in my heart that I did all that I could so that I wouldn't look back and say damn if it weren't for the $...So I scraped together everything I could along the way. I was even able to do weekly B6 injections for him and although they weren't costly-I was able to do it because I had that $ put aside in preparation. It is hard. I can only say I am thankful for that credit card and that envelope. Do your best and sometimes good things fall into place ...like Karma.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MontananDakota For This Useful Post:

Tanya (04-07-2016)

Senior Dog
    Sounds like you may want to shop around for a cheaper vet - we’ve been lucky that the vet we’ve been with since the beginning and LOVE, happens to be one of the cheaper ones around.

I know some people who have two vets - one for routine stuff and meds, and one they use if there is something new and non-routine going on where they feel like they need a better diagnostician.

And unless you suspect he has an abscess or other mouth problem, I would decline the dental. None of mine have EVER had a dental cleaning and it wasn’t an issue. Scully did get an abscess about a week before we lost her, but I think that was just part of her systems beginning to shut down. At that point all they would have done was put her on abx anyway.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

yes the fact i am not able to save in case of an ACTUAL emergency is worrisome...

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    Sounds like you may want to shop around for a cheaper vet - we’ve been lucky that the vet we’ve been with since the beginning and LOVE, happens to be one of the cheaper ones around.

I know some people who have two vets - one for routine stuff and meds, and one they use if there is something new and non-routine going on where they feel like they need a better diagnostician.

And unless you suspect he has an abscess or other mouth problem, I would decline the dental. None of mine have EVER had a dental cleaning and it wasn’t an issue. Scully did get an abscess about a week before we lost her, but I think that was just part of her systems beginning to shut down. At that point all they would have done was put her on abx anyway.
    Oh the teeth - a yaer or so ago the vet recommended a cleaning (under aneasthetic) as he had some tartar or something under the gums. I guess if that's not painful....
    for his lips - he has droopy lips so there is raw/irritation there and on his nose. we're trying vitamin e on the nose but i am loosing the battle with the lips. he had recommended "surgical removal of part of the flap" so it didn't create a fold (think dogs with lots of folds who can get icky). I am currently managing with water/vinegar mixture and then fuciderm sometimes.

I think i have the actual medication costs to a stable level I can afford (not ideal but doable) but adding more could throw that balance. We're done with any regular rehab, i will look into learning more about strenght training on my own so I can do that at home. there is a class but it's a bit far (i don't have a car so need to work all that out).

The thing is I chose this vet as I prefer his physical exam. he manipulates all the joints and stuff (he's not an ortho vet but has done some extra study in ortho stuff). I don't like that other vets don't do this unless you ask and even then i'm not convinced on their ability. I am going to ask around. it's hard to ask about a vet as you get tons of random recommendations (one of my close friends actually sees a few different vets and isn't 100% pleased with any of them haha). There are two other recommended vets so i'll see what they chrage (one I know is more expensive for the first visit, need to confirm what ongoing visits cost and what meds they carry/cost of 4dx). i guess if I found a vet that would do 4dx for cheaper without doing a full physical that would be...interesting. in theory the dogs won't need hw test next year (we test every two years here) but as I need to do the tick testing I have to do it anyway. But that's what...$10-30 savings maybe. in a year.

The rehab was a killer i shouldn't have gotten into that. $100+275. (plus a vet visit and a recheck - mind you I would have done the vet visit anyway so just the recheck is really added). I guess I may eventually stretch out the bloodwork...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (04-07-2016)

Tanya, ask your vet if they have a charitable trust fund that clients can put extra $ in when they visit the vet. Banfield--Gabe's vet business has this fund and every time I go there, even if it just to weigh him, I try to put some $ in the can.

It is for people who just can't quite put enough to take care of their pets like they want (or need) to.

You have such a big heart and Rocky is so sweet-send MOJO and prayers for you both.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

Senior Dog
    Your vet sounds like a money pit. I don't know how old Rocky is but I can relate as I have 2 seniors now. At one time we had a senior and he was getting arthritic when we took him to a very reputable vet and ask about a hip replacement his answer was. I can do it but your dog is now 11 yrs old, the surgery will take a year off his life, the recovery will be long and slow and then in all reality he will pass away after having a year in which the quality of life was not the best. My advice is to make sure that he has a warm dry comfortable place to sleep, he gets moderate exercise and when you think he is sore a coated asprin. I know this is not what we want to hear but this vet was honest. He could have taken our money, our dog would have been in discomfort for over a year and would have passed away. As it was Tracer was with us for another 4 years and did not suffer greatly.
    Vets today know how emotionally tied we are to our pets but we need to be realistic. I would sit down and evaluate just what all the meds and treatments are doing for Rocky. Sometimes what we are pumping into them can be just as hard on them as what ails them.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anna Scott For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (04-07-2016), Georgie (04-18-2016), Tanya (04-07-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos