Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are you an Millenial?

I have a work-related question for all you Millenials and those of you who manage them.

I'm in marketing and have a marketing assistant. She is really great. Easy to get along with. Trustworthy. Fast. Flexible. Does a great job. She is 24 and this is her second job out of college.

One thing that perplexes me and that we are going to discuss tomorrow during our weekly meeting, is her obsession (that is too strong of a word, but I can't think of a better word for it) with learning opportunities. I don't want to succumb to labeling, but my understanding is that this can be a Millenial trait.

Our small local group of her and I (we are a national business group with people sitting in various offices around the country) is very much a two person, full time team. I know she wants to job shadow me more, but she works 40+ hours per week and I don't even know how much I work as I am salaried and just am always on. Doubling up on meetings and such just does not make sense. I cannot decrease our workload -- it is what it is -- nor will they let me hire another person in the near future. While I do look for opportunities to teach her something new, I encourage questions and am never annoyed when she asks, the fact is that a lot of what we do is pretty much the same thing we did the day before. Just like any job.

She has been with the company since July, so nine months. Since then, she has:

* Gone to a three-day marketing training
    * Gone to our annual three-day marketing meeting where it's a little socializing and a lot of training
    * Joined Toastmasters (our company chapter) as better public speaking is a goal of hers
    * Spent countless hours watching our corporate branding and other webinars (both taped and in person) as well as our free Linda.com account when she needed a quick tutorial on something
    * Signed up for our Young Persons Group (YPG) and she'll go to a YPG Summit and have some great opportunities for learning this summer
    * Signed up for our mentorship program
    * Joined a two week crusade to Nicaragua next month with a company-sponsored group of employees to help some villagers get water (last year is was electricity)
    * She will be getting to go to our business group's conference and training this fall (only 40% of employees go and you have to be nominated)

There won't be a lot of marketing trainings this year as we will be training on our new client relationship and accounting program, so she asked to join a marketing group that provides occasional training which I agreed to, but frankly I was reluctant only because the membership is not required to go to trainings and the trainings are pretty lame (I was a member for years) compared to our corporate trainings.

Is this not enough?

Help me understand because I don't get it.

I would say that she wants to get promoted as quickly as possible and wants to chalk up points rather than put in the time and gain the experience and expertise. It's a pay hike.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (04-08-2016)

I was also thinking she's looking at her next job and trying to get there as fast as possible, padding her resume. Like a high schooler trying to get involved in every extra curricular activity so she can get into a competitive college. Makes me wonder when she does her actual work. But maybe I'm getting too old and cynical.

She does get her work done and I gave her a 10% raise after seven months on the job (only one opportunity per year for raises). She deserved it; she works hard and she does a good job. I suspect that she wants some sort of a promotion. A peer of hers started at her level not that long before she started and has already been promoted. However, this person has six years on her in age and experience and was over-qualified in the first place. She was also in the right place at the right time, and an opportunity came up.

Tomorrow I am planning on asking her what her expectations were when she started. And asking her what her training to working ratio would look like if she could have it her way. I'm going to ask her why she thinks she has to do ALL THE TRAINING RIGHT NOW. It's not going anywhere (well, temporarily it is -- but we'll be training on the new system) and some of the sessions are just better to go to with some perspective anyway. I've also put some feelers out to other marketing folks with younger staff and see what they have to say.

I am a millennial. I am 25 and just started a new job, my 3rd out of college. The classic millennial trait is to feel as though they are entitled to more than they have earned. For example, I have a friend who has worked at the same company as me for just over a year. He recently left for a new job because, and I quote, He was passed up for several promotions that he truly deserved. After 1 year with a company, you really think you deserved to be promoted?! You have to pay your dues first! I also was a manager for 2 years at my previous job. I never heard the end of "you guys don't pay me what I deserve." They don't realize that they are in an entry level position direct out of college with no experience. With experience comes higher pay.

On the training aspect, I strive to train a good amount early in this position, however I need to due to the technical nature of my position. I think she is trying to prepare herself for a promotion that she views as well deserved. It all stems from all of us being told that we were the best, all the time. They got rid of 1st-3rd place trophies in school for achievements, and everyone just gets a participation award. I think you need to sit down with her and explain how things work. That she needs to gain experience working, not just training. I would also explain the promotion process and what goes into it. Knowledge is power.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BaconsMom View Post
    The classic millennial trait is to feel as though they are entitled to more than they have earned.
    Agree with this. My sister is 26 and this is exactly what she expresses. Below is something that sums it up pretty good.

Why Generation Y*is*unhappy

I'm a millennial, although on the higher end of the age range. I've been with my company for four years, in the same position, taking my raises as they come.

I think that there are those millennials who feel entitled, aren't patient about waiting for promotion, and don't understand that those in the office who are older than them have great education and lots of experience.

That said, most of the people I know my age are not like this, have been with their jobs a long time, work hard, and just want to own a home and pay their bills.

I just took an MBA course in marketing and boy oh boy, it's a different world career-wise. People my age in the field seem incredibly competitive, so maybe the type of person who is drawn to that type of career is going to be more driven and aggressive in seeking out promotion.

I work with all ages, and I have to say from observation, they all have their traits that the workplace could do without
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Yeah, I shy away from generational labels, maybe because as a Gen X'er I was assigned all bad stereotypes, lol. I'd focus on whether the training interferes with her work, and a convo about her future sounds good.

PS the most entitled co-worker at my place is a baby boomer. People are people, no matter what year they were born.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

So reading your original post, to me, this describes me exactly and I am a Gen X. Which yeah I listen to heavy Metal, I still bang my head on occasion. I still wear leather jackets and jeans. I am constantly learning and striving to learn new things. Before Hemi I was always off to training for something. I take as much training as I can whenever I can. I have 3 degrees now as well, 2 in Science and 1 in Mathematics. However, I have worked for the same company for 22 years now. I learn these things to learn them. Honestly, if I won the Lottery I would probably just go to school full time. This to me is not typical of millennials. A lot of the "millennials" I know are extremely hyper, extremely social, however also are thinking they deserve everything. Now not all of them are like this but this is perception of them and you do certainly see a lot like this. There are many that I would consider normal. This is not what you describe of this person though. They are constantly looking to learn and better themselves. The thing would be is if they are retaining the training or just going. I go to the training really for the training. A lot of it I pay for myself as well. I am a firm believer of never stopping learning and educating yourself. I am a huge believer of if the company is going to pay you to train or pay for your training. This is a benefit, if you choose not to take advantage of it well that's your choice. Kind of like companies help with retirement plans. You are probably taking full advantage of that benefit, she may not be.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

janedoe (04-08-2016)

I'm 24. Your assistant wants a promotion and she's looking for resume padding. 100%.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

barry581 (04-08-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos