Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lawn fertilizer that is safe for dogs

Hey everyone. This is my first year as a homeowner, and a dog owner. I'd like to have a nice looking lawn, but I'm not sure what product I can use that is okay for Penny. What's a good fertilizer you've had luck with that I won't have to worry about it irritating her skin or her trying to eat some? Thanks!

Senior Dog
    My husband isn't allowed to put anything on our grass because of the dogs.

BUT...I have experience with organic fertilizer for potted plants, landscaping, etc. My advice is definitely DO NOT go organic. It smells bad...which means good to foul stench rolling-in dogs. Trust me on this one!

I have used Milorganite corn based fertilizer in the back yard where the dogs go and have had no problems. It says it's safe for kids and pets. Keep in mind, I have adult dogs, not puppies picking up everything.

Like Sundance said, some of the organic can have a strong odor but I've found that it only lasts a couple of days. If you spread before predicted rain, the odor dispels quicker.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Chicken poop!

I fertilize and immediately water in well, however, I have a nice irrigation system... so my recommendation would be to put it down right before a big rain is coming in the midwest if you do not have an irrigation system.

Fertilizer itself is nothing that worries me personally. I probably fertilize on average 3-4x per season here in WA and have not had a problem since I can water it in well right after. My hay field (aka doggy playground) needs to be fertilized very soon also since it wasn't last year due to the extreme drought.

Granular products can be caustic to the dog's feet/skin if they walk or lay in it but there are liquid ones as well that some of the landscape companies use.

Anne (BS/ MS Horticulture)
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

I don't use anything either.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I am the same as WindyCanyon. I still fertilize, regular stuff. What I do though it I do the front yard, water it in also before a big rain, then I keep Hemi off the front for a week and let him go out back only. Then the next week I do the back, water it in and let him go out front only for a week. This give the fertilizer time to get into the soil.

Quote Originally Posted by ISU_Fan View Post
    Hey everyone. This is my first year as a homeowner, and a dog owner. I'd like to have a nice looking lawn, but I'm not sure what product I can use that is okay for Penny. What's a good fertilizer you've had luck with that I won't have to worry about it irritating her skin or her trying to eat some? Thanks!
    I'm wondering... do those of you who are nervous w/ fertilizers think all have herbicides in them too (like weed n feed, etc)? I buy 16-16-16 or such, and spot spray for dandelions, etc when needed w/ the correct product.
    I'm genuinely interested in hearing why folks are against using commercial fertilizer preparations as there really is no concern once it's watered in. For me, w/ an irrigation system, the granular is watered in well after maybe a 2 hr set of water on my ground (less than an inch applied).
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    I'm wondering... do those of you who are nervous w/ fertilizers think all have herbicides in them too (like weed n feed, etc)? I buy 16-16-16 or such, and spot spray for dandelions, etc when needed w/ the correct product.
    I'm genuinely interested in hearing why folks are against using commercial fertilizer preparations as there really is no concern once it's watered in. For me, w/ an irrigation system, the granular is watered in well after maybe a 2 hr set of water on my ground (less than an inch applied).
    I've not fertilized as I was concerned it could cause health issues and the potential increased cancer risk. So are you saying it's as long as there is no week killer in the fertilizer????

Scotts Fertilizer says "Pet and Kids Friendly" on the bag.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos