Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tonight started on a great note--- took Daisy to a personal training session and learned some things. The trainer is awesome. Daisy recently began barking/lunging after moving things like bikes and sometimes strangers. The trainer said it is not really normal but we are working on desensitizing her to motion. He said it would take about 6 months. Whew! I was happy to hear we can work on this. I want her to be able to function in a neighborhood in public without having to worry. Well, I took her straight from that to the vets for her distemper vaccine. She was fine there and happy. Then I went to a Petco I've never been to before and Daisy was afraid of a man there. She barked and I did the treat thing but I could tell she was still scared and when I checked out she practically ran out of there she was so scared. It makes me wonder if her previous owner ever hurt her. I know that she was with him from 10 weeks until 6 months of age with little,if any, socialization. Then later tonight we got to my apartment and she was scared of a guy who startled her walking in the stairwell-- she barked and lunged toward him and I said no, uh uh and then she tried to bolt up the stairs away from him to our apartment. Then of course another neighbor startles her in the hallway - by this time I have my treats out and I am treating her but I could not get her full attention. She kept glancing nervously at the stairwell. She is just generally acting fearful/cautious tonight and I wonder if the vaccine could have made her feel more nervous?? I am saddened by her mood and hoping its temporary. She is usually such a happy little girl. Of course I plan on working through any issues but it makes me sad that she is scared. I'm a little worried and I hope her fear is temporary. I would love to hear some positive words/stories. ETA: The trainer ran past her, threw a giant red ball, and even zoomed around in a wheelchair...all while I gave her treats. I wonder if this day was just more stressful for her then I realize. I've just never seen her so fearful before. Startled, yes, but not fearful.
    Last edited by WhoopsaDaisy; 06-10-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Puppy
    No advice, but good for you for being willing to work with Daisy and for bringing in a trainer. Sounds like you're taking all the rights steps. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Buggle For This Useful Post:

WhoopsaDaisy (06-10-2014)

It would make me sad too thinking my dog had been mistreated by the previous owner. Just keep doing what you are doing and with time and the love you give her she may loose her anxiety, she's still young. Hope this helps a little

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Thelove For This Useful Post:

Sounds like she had a big day. I think it's encouraging she ran to your apt when she was scared. She knows it's home and safe.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Good for you for working through it. If it makes you feel better, all training has setbacks! They even screw up on the positive fun stuff sometimes. It happens!

People are quick to jump to incidents of abuse to explain their dog's fear(s). While that could be the case, it's not the most likely scenario. I think it can be hard for some people to work with their dogs on these issues when in the back of their minds they think the dog is acting that way for a bad reason. It makes you want to hug them and comfort them and feel bad for them instead of sending the message that you would never put your dog in a dangerous situation, you will protect them, you're not a victim and you can do this, and don't be silly, you're fine. It's hard to be one place in your mind and another in your voice, energy, etc. Dogs easily pick up on these things.

Keep at it. You can do it!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

DuryLane (06-11-2014), WhoopsaDaisy (06-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    Good for you for working through it. If it makes you feel better, all training has setbacks! They even screw up on the positive fun stuff sometimes. It happens!

People are quick to jump to incidents of abuse to explain their dog's fear(s). While that could be the case, it's not the most likely scenario. I think it can be hard for some people to work with their dogs on these issues when in the back of their minds they think the dog is acting that way for a bad reason. It makes you want to hug them and comfort them and feel bad for them instead of sending the message that you would never put your dog in a dangerous situation, you will protect them, you're not a victim and you can do this, and don't be silly, you're fine. It's hard to be one place in your mind and another in your voice, energy, etc. Dogs easily pick up on these things.

Keep at it. You can do it!
    You make a really good point, thanks. Daisy may be sensitive because I am. I know I got stressed out when she was acting scared at Petco, could be she picked up on my emotions.

I am headed to Denver on Thursday with Daisy to visit my sister. I've been getting a little worried that maybe I shouldn't take her on the trip. But she's actually really good in public situations normally (I took her to two different farmers markers this week and not a single incident). I Just have to vigilant and be aware of any bikes that might get too close so I can give her lots of treats.

Cabo is leash reactive, I have a friend who is a trainer and we took a reactive rover class with her. She told me his reactivity is fear based, which I had never thought of. He spent the first 13 months of life on a tie out with very little socialization.... I always blamed that for his reactive issues. My friend says not likely, if anything is to "blame", it is probably genetics. Anyways, I take treats on all walks and treat heavy when we see other people/dogs. We do the "find the dog" game. It did take a good six months, but now he is pretty good about looking right at me reflexively when he sees other people. And pretty often for other dogs too, we are still working on that one. She gave me a book on fearful dogs and how to work with them, when I get home from WI I'll have to look to see what the title and author is

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shellbell View Post
    Cabo is leash reactive, I have a friend who is a trainer and we took a reactive rover class with her. She told me his reactivity is fear based, which I had never thought of. He spent the first 13 months of life on a tie out with very little socialization.... I always blamed that for his reactive issues. My friend says not likely, if anything is to "blame", it is probably genetics. Anyways, I take treats on all walks and treat heavy when we see other people/dogs. We do the "find the dog" game. It did take a good six months, but now he is pretty good about looking right at me reflexively when he sees other people. And pretty often for other dogs too, we are still working on that one. She gave me a book on fearful dogs and how to work with them, when I get home from WI I'll have to look to see what the title and author is
    Thanks!! I'd love to know the name of the book. 6 months is about what the trainer said. He did say there is something in the way reactive dogs brains are wired -they are stimulated. He said Daisy's littermates are also reactive with other dogs and they are in a service dog training program-- so yes the reactive part sounds genetic. I guess fear is part of it?

This is what the trainer was explaining to me:
    Stress - Dog Behaviour Clinic

Are you doing other training with Daisy? Obedience, rally, agility, field, etc.? I find that can establish leadership, trust, and confidence in both dog and owner. It can be a good distraction for the dog, too. When one of my dogs starts to get over excited or distracted I do the sit, down, sit, stand, down, etc. Ian Dunbar thing to distract them. Or I might toss a toy or run while squealing so they follow me. This is primarily in training, to make me more interesting than the distraction. I find that treats are only so distracting for them.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos