Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mojo For Tomorrow

Hey guys! I need a little mojo for tomorrow.

Here's a rundown of what's gone on. I had pneumonia in December and it took a huge toll on me. It took me over a month to get over it and I was so incredibly tired. The coughing/wheezing came back in February and I was started on another round of antibiotics. A few weeks later I began to have trouble staying awake during the simplest things...driving, walking, sitting...and I was getting 9-10 hours of sleep per night. Then I noticed the bruising. Gigantic bruises for no apparent reason. I went back to the Dr. only to find out that I had a low platelet count. I followed up with my PCP and was referred to a hematologist. It was then that I was told that yes I had pneumonia in December, but I also had mono at the same time. Sometimes one of the consequences of mono is a decreased platelet count. My body was battling too many things at once and started recognizing my platelets as terrorists and killing them. I was diagnosed with ITP and put on 100mg of prednisone per day. Prednisone is nasty enough on it's own, but I am also diabetic. One of the side effects of prednisone is severely increased blood sugar. I was told to expect ranges in the 500-600's. While it never was that bad, it has been a struggle. I get migraines if my blood sugar is too high. Some of these headaches were debilitating to the point where I couldn't even talk. Well after working with my endocrinologist we have different insulin ranges set up. I am, however, giving myself so much insulin (1:3 carb ratio) that I'm afraid to eat. Take a banana for example. I would have to dose myself 10 units of insulin to eat that. My diet has been high protein/low carb for the past almost 3 weeks. So then at my follow-up appointment on Monday my hematologist confirmed that my platelets were dropping in half about every 4 days. The prednisone is not working. Tomorrow I start my first of four weekly infusion treatments of Rituxan. That is an antibody treatment meant to confuse my body into not killing off my platelets. I will be there all day for this treatment. While it's not a chemotherapy drug, it is often used to treat types of cancer like Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I was told that immediately I may experiences a fever, rashes, nausea, vomiting, dizziness/light-headedness, and chills. Long term it will make me more susceptible to bacterial infections and effect my bone marrow. My immune system may also be permanently compromised. They do not have studies past 15-20 or so years, so they have no idea what may happen as far as after that point.

I'm scared to say the least. Please send good thoughts my way tomorrow!

P.S.~Tomorrow is also Maverick's second birthday. I'll work on getting some recent pictures posted of my handsome boy when I can

Oh gosh! That's a lot to handle! Sending you the very best wishes. A family member received Rituxan for lymphoma over 10 years ago without complications. Wishing you similar success. We'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Mojo!!!!!!!!!
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Oh my, major mojo heading you way.

Hidden Content
    I'm in
    the zone!

Definitely sending mojo and prayers that the treatment is easy and just what you need to get past this hurdle.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I am so sorry. All good thoughts. It sounds like the perfect storm.

prayers for successful outcome & no ill side affects

So sorry to hear what you have been going through. Good thoughts for your treatment today.
    Hidden Content

Woodecoy's Madawaska Charlie.

Lots of mojo heading your way. And Happy Birthday Maverick.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Sending Mojo your way.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos