Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out Alone?

Out Alone?

Do you ever leave your pets outside unattended? There is supposedly a dog fighting ring somewhere close to our area and pets are being stolen. They just disappear. Husky's and Malamutes are being targeted. Cats and small dog too.
    I ask this because we never let Mocha out without us. We live out in the country and have 5 acres with an invisible fence but I just don't trust people.
    Maybe we are overprotective puppy parents but better safe than sorry.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

Senior Dog
    Scary stuff! We live in a rural area but don't have our yard fenced, so Kimber is only outside when we are. A few of our neighbors have invisible fences but given Kimber's prey drive, we never thought that would work 100% for her.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

I don't. People occasionally steal dogs here, and I still don't trust my dogs not to eat random sticks and things in the yard if they are out there too long and get bored. And two of mine could likely jump the fence if they really wanted too. I do feel bad sometimes b/c Tux likes to lay on the back patio and sun himself or watch the yard, but I don't like to leave him out there unless I am out there too. If I had a tall privacy fence it wouldn't be as much of a concern and I'd let him stay out there by himself to do that, but I just have a chain link fence.

Senior Dog
    We do, well we let them have access to outside without us through a dog door but we don’t lock them outside alone. We live in a suburban subdivision with a fenced yard though - different situation. I can’t see leaving a dog outside alone with just an invisible fence on 5 acres ... too big an area for them to disappear in, and no hindrance to other people/dogs/animals coming up to them. They tend to go in and out a lot during the day but are never out for more than 10 minutes at a time if that.

We also don’t have any problems with dog theft in our neighborhood ....
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Semi alone if that makes sense. I go out and double and triple check for skunks first especially in the evening. During the day, Mardi loves to lay out in the sun and Archie wants to do his "rounds". Most of the time I'm out with them but occasionally I'll be inside keeping watch through the big kitchen window. With the higher new fence it's much safer and Archie is quick to alert bark. Went running out the other day when he alert barked and then continued. Big brave boy was barking at a plastic bag blowing in the next yard.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

6. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (04-15-2016)

We're in a small rural village and the park is behind our house so there is access to our property. Still, I leave Oban out for maybe 5 minutes or so before I check to see how the pee or poop situation is progressing. The greater danger here is kids opening the back gate but it hasn't happened in about 20 years. We planted sharp thorny things back there.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Not if i can help it, I am always afraid someone will steal my kids. All my kids love to sunbath so if i have things I need to do inside and they are outside I run from window to window doing head counts.

Someone came into the yard several years back and left the gate open, thankfully it was summer had a couple windows open and I heard what sounded like Ginger in front of the house. Got up to look and sure enough she was outside the fence that is when I found the gate open, so it is locked now. I have had someone comment on how "buff" Ginger is, she does have a muscle form makes me a little nervous because they are prim for bait dogs as they don't give up.

I hope people in your area are keeping their pets safe and they catch the low life that is doing this.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

I put up a baby gate at the back door and leave them outside occasionally but our yard is protected by a 6 foot brick wall all the way around, very different situation.

I would never leave a dog outside without a secure fence. An invisible fence in my opinion is no fence at all
    Last edited by ZoeysMommy; 04-15-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Bacon is always supervised, unless he is in the car waiting for us (on cool days and windows down of course!). I am always paranoid. Even when we were hunting in South Dakota this Spring, Bacon had to sleep in the big dog kennels (no pups allowed in the lodge ) and I was worried the whole time that someone would break in and take him (he was the only dog in the kennels). We were out in the middle of nowhere, but I was still worried.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Ram won't stay outside by himself, he might miss a food opportunity.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos