Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Texas holiday continued, Part 2 of 3

See Part 1 here. We enjoyed Day 8 of our holiday in Austin. We visited a good friend, a neighbour while I lived there. She took us out to the stable where she boards her horse. Unfortunately we didn't get a shot of Willis; here's a shot of a colt foaled only two days previously. The mare was pleasantly tolerant of a stranger patting the colts' head. Our hosts took us to the Texican Cafe for dinner where I had the Diablo Enchiladas and a frozen 'rita. Glad I wasn't driving. Enjoying our visit with our hosts.

Day 9, Easter Sunday, included a drive around Austin with the dogs. We took them to Bull Creek Park, a former off leash park with a very distinctive visual signature. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot Stella began eagerly whining and almost charged out of the car. Did she recognize the park, even after nearly nine years had passed? I can't say with certainty . . . yet she didn't act this way at any other place during our trip. On Day 10 we took our leave and headed to Fredericksburg, in the Hill Country. Faye had found the simple cottage we stayed in back in 2005. We bought dinner fixings at HEB (the regional grocery store chain) and enjoyed the evening there. Achilles and Stella relaxing.

A stately oak tree on the grounds.

An exotic game ranch nearby yielded some exotic game.

We spent Day 11 in and around town. I went to the Bush Museum of the Pacific War, taking several hours to browse the displays. Two of my uncles fought in the Pacific. The museum is located in a small Hill Country town because Admiral CHester Nimitz, WWII CinC of naval forces in the Pacfic Theater, was from Fredericksburg. Faye spent that time browsing the main drag. Later in the day we went to Wildseed Farms, one of the largest US suppliers of wildflower seed. The poppies were ablaze and the bluebonnets were gorgeous.

We will try growing poppies and bluebonnets. We left Wildseed Farms and headed to Pedernales Brewing Company. Though they weren't officially open, the bartender said 'Well I'm here so I might as well work.' They brew very, very good beer. Still can't decide whether I liked their Hefeweizen or the porter most. Bonus points to the bartender's husband, who instantly recognized my Houston Colt 45s ball cap. Another thing that's bigger in Texas.

Day 12 was 'road trip to meat heaven' day. It was a short drive up Highway 16 on a mild and showery day through wildflower country.

Faye thought the name of this place was amusing.

Our destination was LLano and Cooper's Pit BBQ, where we enjoyed some of the best smoked meat in the universe. We chose beef brisket, beef ribs, pork loin, and jalapeno cheese sausage. Sides were cole slaw and potato salad, all washed down with sweet tea.

A visit to a place selling yard art yielded an armadillo and a horny toad. Day 13 was travel day. Leaving Fredericksburg and our cozy cottage, we headed west to Fort Davis. Instead of blasting down I-10 we drove a scenic route. State and US highways provided a better view of the country as it became drier and drier. We had to stop at a US Border Patrol checkpoint west of Del Rio. I was amused that we were the third car with Canadian licence plates to pass through that day. A way west we crossed the Pecos River, stopping first at the scenic overlook. Looking downriver towards Mexico.

Looking upriver. The bridge is about 260 feet above the river.

The horny toad gets into the swing of things.

This is lonely country with 50 miles or more between small towns, some of which are little more than wide places in the road. We went miles without encountering another vehicle, though we did encounter bicyclists. Apparently cycling from Orlando FL to San Diego CA is a thing. We stopped at a picnic area for lunch.

Other than an occasional car passing by the only sounds were the wind and birds. That kind of silence - the absence of human sound - is an experience everyone should have. It is restful, calming, and induces contemplation. Lonesome road.

Bamps, this is your kind of country eh?

Fort Davis is very small - about 1,000 residents. The town was founded in the 1800's and is adjacent to Fort Davis National Historic Site, which is very well-tended. We settled into a simple, comfortable room at a tourist court which has been in continuous operation since the 1930s. The next day dawned cloudy, windy, cool, with mizzle and occasional rain - not the best day for outside activities. Nonetheless we went to the fort, which was manned most of the time between the 1850s and 1891 when it was abandoned. Most of the buildings are in ruins; Several of the buildings have been restored to their original condition and house very interesting exhibits and artifacts depicting life for not only the soldiers also for their wives and children, civilian employees, and travelers. Sleeping Lion Mountain crouches over the fort.

Officers Row (middle) and the enlisted men's barracks (above Officer's Row) flank the parade ground.

A view from the opposite direction, from the flank of Sleeping Lion Mountain.

The hospital. Most soldiers and civilians died of disease or accident, not combat.

I had made reservations to go to McDonald Observatory that night. The observatory is operated by the University of Texas. In addition to being a working facility which has made more than a few important discoveries, it is a visitors' destination and hosts what are called Star Parties. The public can look through telescopes at planets, star clusters, galaxies, and so forth. Alas, the sky was totally socked in by clouds. We opted to stay for the indoor program. The staff gave very interesting presentations about star clusters and galaxies, spectroscopy, and exoplanets (planets outside the solar system). We got back to our room a little after midnight, waaaay after our normal bedtime.

Next up: Days 15-21.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

Bamps (04-19-2016), barry581 (04-16-2016), doubledip1 (04-18-2016), Sandra (04-16-2016), Scoutpout (04-19-2016), Snowshoe (04-16-2016)

How interesting! Kudos to both of you for taking the longer route and seeing those amazing sights.

Thanks for sharing.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (04-17-2016)

Beautiful part of the country. I know exactly what you mean about the isolation you feel when you are so far from any civilization. When I was driving across RT380 in New Mexico enroute to Holloman AFB, I had been driving about an hour, and as far as I could see in front of methe road pinpointed on the horizon, I looked in my mirror, same thing. I stopped the car and got out, looking all around. I could hear the wind, and my breathing, nothing else. I never felt as isolated and alone as I did at that moment. It was incredible.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (04-17-2016)

Barry581 - you reminded me of when we moved from CA to RI. It was winter so Dad took the southern route (in the Army and had to get back, no excuses) and drove for miles and miles in the deserts of New Mexico. Sand and cactus as far as the eye could see. With 4 of us, it was not so quiet, LOL. Did get to visit the petrified forest though.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

8. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (04-17-2016)

POPTOP, thank you! I visited Fort Davis about 45 years ago. Kind of dates me. I vividly remember waking up one morning for school. Mom said 'No school today, we are going on vacation.' The night before she had persuaded dad to take a weeks' vacation.

barry581, it is an awe inspiring, humbling, experience, one very difficult to find. I think it's a healthy and necessary one.
    -----------------
    On rural Texas highways, particularly west of I-35, you will often be greeted by the 'one finger wave.' No not that finger. As drivers approach, they will lift their index finger to acknowledge their fellow traveller. It has been a thing for decades and after a while I returned to the habit.

The day in Fort Davis, we had lunch at a small restaurant next to the hotel. We watched a short hailstorm.

No damage done.

The claret cup cactus was blooming on the fort's grounds.

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

Bamps (04-19-2016)

Looks like you all had a fabulousl trip

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jollymolly For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (04-18-2016)

Jollymolly, it was a great trip. We'd like to do it again.

wow. what a great trip ya'll had. That is one area I would love to go spend about a month wandering around. thanks for posting your trip for us to enjoy!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (04-20-2016)

That looks awesome!!! (I got a son living over there near Austin)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (04-20-2016)

Scoutpout, thank you. It was a great trip; we learned that three weeks is as long as we cared to be away.

Bamps, thanks! Austin can be a great place to live.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos