Some people make me want to scream

I took Dixie to the dog park today (another activity that Rebel isn't old enough for yet) with our regular group of friends that meets up there once a week. We all arrive at about the same time (we meet up in the parking lot to walk back to the dog park together) and we all leave together. There is a total of 7 people and 10 dogs (because some of us have multiples). The dog park and playground share the same park as the baseball/softball fields for little league teams in our town. Well, we've never had a problem with kids and the dogs before. Most of the kids just gawk at all the dogs. But today one little boy came running squealing into the middle of our group and just threw his arms around Dixie's neck. This kids parents never even tried to stop him! They just laughed about it! They're honestly lucky Dixie adores kids and didn't clamp onto their child's face. And I'm going to be honest, I was too dumbfounded to say anything to them. But one of my friends (who's 4 y/o little girl was with us, spoke up and told the parents how irresponsible they were.

I'll never understand why parents don't teach their children to ask if they can approach and pet a dog. Too many just let their kids go flying up to strange dogs and think it's cute. I'd honestly like to just smack every single one of those parentsb up side their heads.

I'm sorry y'all, I just needed to vent a little.
    Jess

Dixie~Rescue~GSD mix~Gotcha Day:10/6/10

Rebel~Rescue~GSD/lab mix~Gotcha Day:2/20/16
    (Gunner the border collie mix and Daisy Dukes the GSP also pictured)
    Hidden Content
    In memory of.....Hidden Content
    Tippsy~chow~9/2/00-4/26/11
    Jasper~chow/lab mix~"10/31/08"-10/23/14
    Todd~Pomeranian~"2/14/11"-7/29/15

*Formerly Chowder*

Vent away. It's a huge concern. As well as we all know our dogs, it can happen and then the parents go ballistic and the poor dog pays the price.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (04-18-2016), DixieRebel91 (04-18-2016)

Totally agree. I had a tiny toddler come up and hug Hoku a few weeks back, and I was livid.
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Abulafia For This Useful Post:

DixieRebel91 (04-18-2016)

I found myself & Mocha in a similar situation. We were in a pet friendly store and a 3-4 yo boy came running up, arms flailing & screaming " doggy". I stepped in front of Mocha and said Whoa! His parents said he just said to pet your dog. I said that's great but you need to teach him how to approach strange dogs. The huffed and told lil Johnny to come on. Mocha was great and would have been more than happy to love on the kid but jeeze, teach your kid how to meet strange dogs. Not all "doggys" are as sweet as Mocha.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

It is a scary thing to watch unfold before your eyes. If I can teach my dog to sit quietly to greet humans of all ages why can't parents have enough sense to teach their children to ask permission and greet dogs properly?
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Thank y'all. It's so nice to have a place to come to vent about things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    It is a scary thing to watch unfold before your eyes. If I can teach my dog to sit quietly to greet humans of all ages why can't parents have enough sense to teach their children to ask permission and greet dogs properly?
    It I'd very scary! And I wholeheartedly agree. Too few parents actually parent anymore. Far too many just use the excuse "oh, he/she is just a kid". They need a wake up call and they need to learn that they need to teach their children how to function in society.
    Jess

Dixie~Rescue~GSD mix~Gotcha Day:10/6/10

Rebel~Rescue~GSD/lab mix~Gotcha Day:2/20/16
    (Gunner the border collie mix and Daisy Dukes the GSP also pictured)
    Hidden Content
    In memory of.....Hidden Content
    Tippsy~chow~9/2/00-4/26/11
    Jasper~chow/lab mix~"10/31/08"-10/23/14
    Todd~Pomeranian~"2/14/11"-7/29/15

*Formerly Chowder*

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos