Real Retriever

Think she needs a friend?

Ai yi yi.

The kitties had a mouse they were playing with this weekend (and Moxie was playing, while Henry, well, you know what Henry was doing) on one side of the house this weekend. Piper was lying on the grass watching them play for about ten minutes and then she'd had enough. She went over, nudged (you know, the roll over with her nose labs like to do) Henry aside, picked up Mousie very gently in her mouth and took him to the other side of the house.

Dropped him out, immediately dropped into pounce position and played with him for roughly an hour, now with the kitties watching her. Poor guy, I felt badly 'cause I know he was probably having multiple cardiac arrests but she was so happy bouncing in front of him. Every time he would go super still she would bat the ground next to him like "wake up, buddy. It's play time!"

Piper and the kitties get along great in the way of cuddling and cleaning each other but they won't play with her. I think when she is so desperate she is playing with a friend the size of her paw, it's time she got a sibling! Plus, I really do feel bad for the mice

You get another dog when YOU want another dog. Not because your dog wants a friend.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Tanya (04-20-2016)

While reafing this I cant help but laugh. Have you been considering a second pup for your family?

Real Retriever
    Yep, we've been waiting for her to get old enough, breeder to have the right dog, you know the drill! Still, she's so desperate it's almost embarrassing!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Piper'sMom For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (04-20-2016)

Too funny with the mouse!!

My dachshund plays with lizards but she actually shakes them and tries to kill them, much to my dismay. If there's one thing I hate more than lizards it's dead lizards (I'm too scared to even touch it!)

Even with the major size difference I'm lucky my two enjoy each other's company. They play their own version of "bitey face" where Daisy lays down and Lily jumps on her head and bites at her ears. Not all dogs become playmates with the second dog even if they love playing with other dogs at the dog park or elsewhere so just make sure you're ok with that if and when you decide to go for numero dos.

For a vast majority of time over the last 31 years, we have had two Labs. It's been my experience that Labs are very social animals, and while they may not always be complete cuddle buddies, they do enjoy having the company of another dog.

Real Retriever
    I know it COULD happen but I just can't visualize a scenario where Piper didn't like the other dog. The only dogs she's even had a SLIGHT problem with where when she was between 12-16 months at the dog park when she finally realized she could stick up for herself and older, small dogs that bark ferociously at her.

Otherwise she has always been really friendly. However now that she is older we don't go to the dog park anymore (that was more for her socialization) the only dogs she gets to play with regularly are my aunts rottweiler, my brother in law's golden and the boxer that regularly leaves his yard to come play in ours. Which brings me to another point of her desperation-she will sit on our hill, staring at the back fence where Joey enters our yard. SOOO looks like the needy girlfriend just waiting for her man to give her some crumbs of his attention! Then when he shows up they run around like hooligans until he gets tired. They are the same age (2 1/2) but she can last WAY longer than him!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos