Best Friend Retriever

A Few Molly Pics.....

I haven't been on here too much lately--in addition to Molly, we had a Pug & they are prone to many health problems, so I've spent a lot more time on a Pug forum. That little one passed away in Sept, & then in Dec we drove a long way to get a new little Pug, who also had a bad bladder infection, etc. So I've been kept busy there!

I just wanted to say that I probably joined this forum almost 12 years ago, when Molly was just a pup, & I seem to remember having the bad manners to join complaining about what a naughty pup she was......in my defense, my neighbor brought Molly to me just after my dear, sweet mother-in-law had just been taken home. I was exhausted--she had Alzheimers, & had spent a month with us to give the rest of her kids a break from taking turns staying with her. It was a hard time, & her daughter had just come to pick her back up to take her back home to the other side of the mountains. It was either that same night, or the night after, my neighbor brought little 6 week old Molly over to live with us. She was so adorable & sweet, but there were the holes chewed in the laundry room walls, & the giant puddles, & everything else that goes along with a puppy! This forum helped me through, and I've always enjoyed the pictures, stories, & helpful tips that I've gotten here. Thank you Woody, for providing this wonderful forum for all of us to share on! And thank you everybody, for help & support along the way.

Molly grew up, and has been my dear, sweet, patient, smart, loyal, precious girl all this time. I love her so much, I don't know what I'd do without her, & as I see some of the signs of aging, I'm feeling sad quite often.....their lives are way too short......Molly is still in pretty good health, but has several fatty lipomas, & sometimes she has some trouble getting up when she is laying on the kitchen floor.

What do you all recommend to help with the joints? I believe I've heard that Rimadyl isn't good with Labs.....maybe Cosaquin, Dasuquin or something similar?

Here are a few pics of my precious girl.....

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mollysmomma For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (04-28-2016), zd262 (04-28-2016)

What a lovely old age pensioner!!!

I've been through the senior years with more than a couple Labs, and it can be difficult. I've never really needed any arthritis type drugs/supplements so I'm not much help there. I did find that buffered asprin did a good job for the periodic flare ups with joint pain.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (04-27-2016)

Welcome Back!

Molly is looking good and so sweet.

Our Mardi has very bad back end arthritis. While I've had a lab who reacted to Rimadyl badly, elevated liver function tests, we are using Rimadyl for Mardi and she is doing well. We do frequent liver panels to keep a close eye out. She also gets 1000 mg of vitamin C a day and Cosequin DS. It helps. She's 13 now and end of life problems are popping up. Her sweetness has never stopped and so has her sassy behaviors. As long as she is mobile and shows her love of life and sparkle in her eye, we will do whatever it takes.

I notice steps on your deck. DH built a ramp over top of our short three steps with an outdoor carpet which has helped Mardi tremendously.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

6. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (04-27-2016)

Those are great pictures and Molly is a beautiful lady! Have you tried glucosamine and chondroitine supplements? I've also heard that turmeric (golden paste) can act as an antiinflamatory and alleviate arthritic pain (it has other great benefits as well). I'd try these before trying Rimadyl, which I'd leave as the last option.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (04-28-2016)

Molly is a beauty!
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (04-28-2016)

I use Hylasport, salmon oil and 1000 mgs of vitamin c daily for Emma's arthritis. She also gets cold laser treatments as necessary.

Molly is a beauty!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (04-28-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos