Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problems With Archie

He's playing the dominance card and it's getting worse.

When a new furkid joins our family, the original furkid is always treated like the first kid, i.e., treat first, walked first, food put down first, greeted first.

With Mardi's declining health, she often is not at the door when I come home so Archie gets greeted first. Walking is sporadic for Mardi, so Archie goes out more often for walks.

When Archie first joined us, he started what I called "posturing" in front of Mardi. If she is laying down, he will stand perpendicular to her, not over her but at her head, like making the letter "T". He also has a dominant/stiff posture. I have corrected him and it slowed down. Now that Mardi's health is declining more, he's started again. He also has absolutely no respect for her space to the point of sometimes stepping on her one time making her yelp. If I pet Mardi, he pushes himself in. I'm still reinforcing Mardi first but it is getting harder and harder. I know Archie knows what not to do because a couple of times when I was out of the room they are in, I've heard Mardi "correct" him and when I walk in he moves away from her and hangs his head.

Understand in nature when one individual starts declining or showing weakness, another will push in. I've never had this happen with any of our dogs. Am seeking advice how to handle this escalating situation.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Zo is extremely dominant. She is also the lowest on the ladder. Whenever one of any of the others who are significantly older has a health issue, she goes for them.

The answer is boundaries at every turn. Make it absolutely clear every single time that you, the one in charge, values the older, weaker dog and you're setting the rules. It is not up to our Zo to set the rules, ever. In fact, every time we come back from a surgery or a medical procedure, I make it clear in no uncertain terms that no one is to come near the dog who came back from the vet, even to sniff, especially if she or he is coming out from anesthesia and absolutely cannot put up a defense.

I raise my voice. It can sound harsh. But Zo knows without a doubt that she is not to go after the other dogs. It's a question of trust with the older dogs as well. Fran actually got much closer to me after her latest surgery as a result and it doesn't diminish my relationship with Zo. Dogs need boundaries.

Our behaviorist went through a horrible scenario when she was raising Springer Spaniels because she decided to let her pack sort it out but I don't want to upset you. It made me really think though and we're a successful household as a result. So, basically, be firm at all times.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (04-30-2016)

Senior Dog
    We had mother/daughter Basenjis when I was still living "at home" (funny how "at home" remains long after you no longer live in the same house as your mother). When the mother's health declined and she was slower/weaker, the daughter turned on her...that was the point at which Mom decided Sandy's time had come (good decision based purely on Sandy's health, by the way, but something Mom hadn't been able to bring herself to do). (and I'm in no way saying it's that time with Mardi...just that things escalated as time went by)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (04-30-2016)

I understand this but I have no personal experience. The only suggestion I can see to make is from this,

With Mardi's declining health, she often is not at the door when I come home so Archie gets greeted first
    I wonder if making Archie wait to be greeted would help. He sees you first but too bad, he has to wait longer now. What a tough situation. You think he is safe alone with Mardi? I hope so, you are not there and you are probably the most prized resource. Good luck with this.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (04-30-2016), POPTOP (04-30-2016)

Poor Mardi, it's not easy when they start slowing down.

From my experience, labs are such laid back breed. My dachshund has a much more dominant personality and Daisy will often cede to her despite the size difference and age. It's almost like she picks her battles with Lily. It's never led to any fights so I let them do their thing. I've never been one to consistently feed, greet, walk, or treat one first. I intervene if Lily is being a bully during play or trying to eat Daisy's food (Lily will try to "join" Daisy at her bowl and Daisy will step back and let her).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (04-30-2016)

Thank you for the replies. So far Archie has not been really aggressive to Mardi; as far as I can tell. Obviously, he has done something to make her respond to him with a correction. I say it that way because it always happens when I'm not in the room. This has opened my eyes to what could be. Wonder if I should gate him in the kitchen when I'm out; Mardi prefers her bed in the living room.

Arentspowell: Had to smile about Lily trying to hone in on Daisy's food. Mardi is a much faster eater and if I don't stop her, she will try to join Archie after she's finished eating. Archie has given a corrective growl in the past in this instance. I don't allow either behavior at all.

Guess I'm going to have to pull up my big girl panties a little higher and get more firm with Archie. It's so different with a GSD or maybe it is just Archie.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    Sorry you are having to deal with this. It’s never been an issue here, but as arentspowell says, most Labs are laid back. My trainer once said that in her experience most Labs just don’t care about dominance in the same way other breeds do.

My only suggestion is to continue to make it very clear that YOU are the pack leader and set the rules ... Archie needs to understand that Mardi getting weaker does leave a leadership gap that he needs to fill. You are the ultimate leader.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (04-30-2016), POPTOP (04-30-2016)

I would worry a little about Mardi when you are not home and would place Archie in a gated area away from her to make sure she doesn't have to defend herself or be on guard while you are away from the house. Yes bad things can happen I know of a house hold with an older male boston they had a total of 5 dogs and the other 4 went after him while she was out, very sad situation.

I am so thankful that mine have been respectful of the others as they age, Tootsie was always the boss and was respected even when she became older and sick. Ginger did try to muscle in on the position left behind when Coleman passed, we all were a mess for a couple months but I had to make sure Ginger held her place at the bottom of the list. I still have to watch her with Sarah as much as I love my little Ginger she just doesn't have the mind set to lead.

I hope you can figure something out with Archie and yes always leaving him last to receive any attention food or treats might help.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Real Retriever
    I only have one and a young one at that so I have no advice. Just wanted to say I was sorry you guys are experiencing this and hope it gets better.

Things are improving since I posted. Archie is on a total NILF routine now. He's become less demanding of me when Mardi is around hopefully because he realizes he is going to get his full share of attention in turn. Am sure this is how it is going to have to be from now on but at least I feel less of the pressure.

Thanks all for the responses.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (05-05-2016), doubledip1 (05-05-2016), labsnewfy (05-05-2016), Meeps83 (05-04-2016), Mr Kleb (05-05-2016), Snowshoe (05-05-2016), SunDance (05-04-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos