Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My dog's gut...

My dog's gut...

is absolutely amazing.

As vigilant as we are about not leaving stuff laying around that she shouldn't eat, she has managed to eat (and later vomit up or pass normally) at least 8-10 of my son's socks in her 9 months of life. She is going to be a hunting dog, so we are trying to get her to FETCH things she picks up, and bring them to us, instead of us chasing her down. Our boys have not been successful in not resorting to chasing her, so most times she KNOWS what she's not supposed to have and we have had to be very quick to pull things out of her mouth. Last night, my son accidentally left the bathroom door open after his shower before he'd cleaned up - she grabbed a pair of his boxer briefs (8-year-old sized). I was calm and had her bring it almost all the way to me, then the mere flexing of my fingers made her run off, and I had to chase her down to get them out (mainly because I saw her chewing it further into her mouth). She must have made quick work of it because I got to her and opened her mouth - NOTHING. I thought she'd let go of it but they were nowhere to be found. She totally swallowed my kid's underwear. Geez, dog! We were really worried most of the night, and watched her closely. She's eaten, drank and is playful and active as usual. I'm sure (I HOPE) we will see it later today in some form or fashion.

I recall my dog (1/2 lab, 1/2 irish setter) growing up eating random things but this just takes the cake. I hope and pray this comes out fine also. :-/!

It may take longer than later today to reappear. Hopefully the boxers do reappear, you are very fortunate to have not had an obstruction already. One of my Labs, years ago, was the same way and we had to be extremely vigilant to keep things picked up at all times. Sending good thoughts your way.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Thanks. Didn't sleep well, kept checking on her. She caught me once and just looked at me like, "What are you doing!? I'm sleeping!"

Keep and eye on her obstructions are the worst things ever to go through Hopefully she'll throw it back up though!

We both work, so we've been back extra times today to check on her. As of about an hour ago she's still her perky self. Ate all her breakfast. No piles of anything to greet us...husband's turn is next, I'm sure I'll get a text update soon. Thankfully we live close enough to check on her more often.

I don't even know what to think. Pepper is doing absolutely fine. She *supposedly* swallowed the underwear Tuesday night, but she has eaten, drank, and pooped twice since then, all normally. My husband is convinced that maybe she dropped them somewhere quickly before I got to her behind the couch and that she never actually swallowed them. But we can't find them ANYWHERE. what on earth. I'm actually tempted to ask the vet's office what they charge for an x-ray just to ease my mind. I mean, if she actually did swallow them, something would have had to happen by now, right? We've been watching her like a hawk and coming home extra times during the day to check on her. Poor thing looks at us like, "You again?"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peppersmom For This Useful Post:

kelsyg (06-12-2014)

no idea, but chili always poops out plastic/whatever pieces after he tears up crap he shouldnt. the most surprising thing i have seen in his poop is a circuit board from a remote control he decided looked yummy...bastard only ate half the remote and pooped out half a circuit board whole!
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Yup, we've already replaced one remote thanks to Miss Pep, but she didn't actually consume any of it! wow! We've definitely seen crayons, etc, come through her too. Oy.

Looks like Chili is just about a month older than Pepper, her bday is 8/27/13.

Senior Dog
    i sure hope it comes out naturally. and maybe the house needs better puppy proofing and yes, i realize with kids , it's very hard to do as they don't want to pick up their wet towels , let alone socks and underwear.
    you got lucky so far.

Many dogs have special place where they hide stuff. Mine have a "fort" under some shrubs in the back yard. It is where I look for anything I can't find. You can try giving Pepper something special - rawhide chew or something and discreetely follow him.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

voodoo (06-12-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos