Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Real Retriever

She is ridiculous!

First off, we live in Western Washington where it is hardly "too" hot. It has been nice and warm here recently but compared to the rest of the world, Seattle is hardly known as the heat capital of the world. Still, Piper is already pulling her "Woe is me" she did in the middle of last summer!

Mark and I were working in the yard on Sunday and she would just plod back and forth between us, plopping herself down with a big ole poor pitiful me sigh. Then she would throw in a couple of pants for good measure.

Mind you, there is plenty of shade and a decent breeze plus the kiddie pool full of water. Nope, none of that helps. She just keeps sighing and panting. Like we are in Palm Springs or something. Honestly, she is the biggest of the babies. I don't think she could live anywhere other than maybe Alaska. Drama Queen. That's my girl.

Oh, and then Moxie (one of the cats) would go cuddle up to her. In the heat. In the sun. That REALLY brought out the snarfles... pretty sure she will be dead by August. Sigh.

Anyone else with a weather Drama Queen?

Sophie is. She hates the heat. If it's much more than about 70F she has no desire to run. Been that was since she was a pup.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (05-04-2016)

My lab Zoey is a true desert dog, she loves the heat and enjoys sunbathing when its 100 degrees out but my corgi is a huge drama queen when it comes to the heat. She runs out to pee and if I don't let her in quick enough she has a fit at the door and my gosh corgis can throw the loudest fits you have ever heard

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (05-04-2016)

I have one that hates the heat. We shave him but it doesn't help.

Real Retriever
    I just find it ridiculous when it isn't even that hot yet. For God's sake, it's western Washington! Can you get any milder?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Piper'sMom For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (05-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy View Post
    Just a FYI, Shaving a double coated dog such as a Labrador Retriever actually makes the heat even more unbearable. The double coat is designed to protect a lab from the elements. Your lab is actually much cooler with his full coat. You are also risking the chance of sunburn and shaving alopecia which is absolutely horrible to look at and his hair will never grow back the same ever again

No double coated dogs should ever be shaved, ever

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

arentspowell (05-03-2016), Doreen Davis (05-04-2016), MontananDakota (05-04-2016), Sue (05-04-2016), windycanyon (05-05-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy View Post
    Please, do NOT shave your Lab!!

Maxx really minds the heat! Anything over 65-70° and he is dying, lol! Being a black; heavily coated boy it is easy to sympathize.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (05-04-2016), barry581 (05-04-2016), MontananDakota (05-04-2016), Piper'sMom (05-04-2016), Sue (05-04-2016)

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeysMommy View Post
    ... my gosh corgis can throw the loudest fits you have ever heard
    Is it in an English accent? Sorry, couldn't resist!
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SoapySophie For This Useful Post:

barry581 (05-04-2016)

Chase is the one who seems to suffer the most from the heat. His coat is unbelievably thick, yet he will go outside and lie in the direct sun on the hot wooden deck until I can't stand it anymore and urge him into the shade. Of course, he will also lie outside in a blizzard, not moving, until he's completely covered and I'm afraid he's died from hypothermia. He jumps up when I go over to check him, though, and starts running around like a maniac. He loves a good snow storm.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (05-04-2016)

Senior Dog
    Kimber also loves the cold. Saturday, it was about 60, overcast with occasional drizzle, and a steady breeze. She wanted to spend ALL DAY outside. Our yard isn't fenced so she can't hang outside without me, which severely limited her yard time on Saturday. Sunday was much nicer by human standards- high 70s and sunny, with a light breeze. I got my book and camp chair and water and settled into a nice spot in the yard. After 20 minutes, Kimber was asking to go back inside where it's cool! (It didnt' help that the bees were buzzing; she is seriously paranoid about anything that buzzes, due to the Maybe You Shouldn't Tease That Yellowjacket, Kimber event of her puppydom).

Like Chase, she loves a good snowpack. She'll dig a little hole in the snow, squoosh in, and want to sit there while the snow falls on her.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

barry581 (05-04-2016), Piper'sMom (05-04-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos