Best Friend Retriever LucyTudeOn4Feet's Avatar

Campng trip NC / SC

Can anyone recommend a place in NC or SC where we can tent camp, but not primitive, at the coast, with dogs. I need a place that's a good place for grands, and Lucy HAS to be able to swim - even if it's before and after certain hours on the beach is ok. I can't take her to the beach and have it be off limits, that would be crazy for her. Amenities like pool would be an added benefit, but not necessary, as I doubt state parks have that. It's only for 3-4 days.

Are the beaches there always big waves? What would one expect in terms of surf conditions? She's only used to swimming in the Gulf and Bay, where it's relatively flat. I'm worried that the ocean at her age will be too much. What size surf should be expected? Would there be anywhere where we'd also have access to a lagoon or the intercoastal with smoother water?

hmm. HHI the beach is off limits till after 5pm this time of year, but the surf isnt bad, plus there's the protected side. I wonder about Tybee Island? and there's got to be a spot up a bit more toward Charleston

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

LucyTudeOn4Feet (06-11-2014)

I think a bunch of members also love Duck NC, and say the whole area is extremely dog friendly

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

I live near Myrtle Beach. Try Huntington Beach State Park, Myrtle Beach State Park, or Ocean Lakes/Lakewood Campgrounds. Those last two are mostly pop-up/full-size camper type of places but you might have luck with the other two. Dogs are only allowed on the beaches here before 10 a.m. and after 5 p.m. until Labor Day. For NC, try Jellystone campground in Tabor City (very kid and pet-friendly, we have not been there yet ourselves but hear it's awesome).

Just realized I did not answer any of your wave posts. The water is definitely more "wavy" here than in the Gulf, you may just want to watch the tides because there might be areas with tide pools etc, that she could play in. The ocean might be a bit much for her if she's used to flat water.

The Jellystone camping place I mentioned has a dedicated dog park and a huge pond, etc. Just no beach.
    Last edited by peppersmom; 06-11-2014 at 04:06 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to peppersmom For This Useful Post:

Beautiful country to vacation.

Unless it has changed a lot, would not recommend Tybee Island. It happens to be right next to the mouth of the Savannah river and is not clear but more silt filled. Was not really impressed with HHI either. Guess what I liked better were FL beaches with crisp, clear water. Have you thought about Nags Head or the outer banks in NC? I believe there are several dog friendly beaches in the area.

Would have to ask SIL, but she vacations in the mountains of NC, near a lake. They rent a house/cabin and the family gathers including the dogs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

There's a really nice KOA campground on Hatteras Island Cape Hatteras KOA | Camping in North Carolina | KOA Campgrounds We take our dog on the beach year round on Hatteras Island.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

LucyTudeOn4Feet (06-12-2014)

If you're willing to go from the coast, the upstate of SC near the NC border has a lot of really beautiful camping areas. You'd just need to check web sites to make sure they are pet-friendly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to peppersmom For This Useful Post:

LucyTudeOn4Feet (06-12-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos