Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Box Garden Phase 1

I put together my box garden frame today. I bought 2X8X12's and made the frame 8X4. I used a few posts I had left over from a fence project which I will post about later. It's a long story. It's not perfect but I think it will work.

Like every project I do. My idiot helper just lays in the dirt and digs. I should fire her but I don't want to get into trouble with the union. I bought a few tomaotes and pepper plants. My wife wants some cucumbers. I hope I have enough room.

The finished project. It sits beside my water barrel. Next phase will be getting a pile of topsoil and triple mix in.

Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (05-06-2016), MontananDakota (06-10-2016), Scoutpout (05-08-2016)

Looks great!

Don't know if it is really necessary but you might want to lay down some fabric cloth before putting in the topsoil. Then again, the worms could not get through. Toss up. How about getting a container of cheap fishing worms and toss in.

Cucumbers would be easy to add. Take a couple of 5 gallon buckets and put them beside the frame and plant in them. You could also add a trellis like structure to the long side so they could grow up and not take over the box. If you didn't want to use the buckets, you could still plant them in the frame and use the trellis to keep them out of the way.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Looks great! It's a good size, too, because you can reach in to the middle, the soil doesn't get compacted, and you can plant things closer than you could otherwise. Can't wait to see how it progresses through the season.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Will you irrigate from the rain barrel?
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Fantastic! Very well constructed. You'll get a lot out of that space.

I have to think about what I want to do with the cucumbers.

If the plants say to be 36 inches apart which is 3 ft I guess it doesn't look like I have a ton of room to play with for 6 plants plus cucumbes? Any thoughts?

I am going to use the rain barrel water for the plants. I read a few things that said it was fine to water the surrounding soil but to be careful watering the fruit or plant itself. If there is anything harmful in water from the shingles etc. it should be taken care of from the microbes in the soil.

Really after we use the water on our flowers there isn't much left over so I will probably be using the hose anyways.
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

This looks great. I cant wait to see your garden

Have you read any information on "square foot gardening"? Maybe you can fit more plants in your box than you think. Back when I had a yard with enough sun and had my raised beds, I planted fairly densely. The square foot gardening method wasn't an official "thing" at that time but I had listened to some radio gardening program, wrote in for the instructions and managed to fit quite a lot into a 4x 8 or 10 foot bed. This article suggests that cucumbers could be trained to grow up a trellis or something, so maybe cukes would fit in there, too.

Square Foot Gardening: Just Say NO to Rows | Planet Natural

Oh, and while you're at it, today IS World Naked Gardening Day, so dress (or not) accordingly!

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Oh, and while you're at it, today IS World Naked Gardening Day, so dress (or not) accordingly!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos