Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    House Broken
    Lawrence, KS (formerly in Topeka 50+ yrs)

Is YOUR Telephone # on YOUR dog's tag?

This morning as Zach and I were returning from our usual 7 AM mile walk, a friendly, smaller (35 lb?) dog (maybe 1/4 Beagle) came up and they began sniffing each other (the usual: crotch = what's your first name?, butt = and your last name?). We were in a residential area section at the busy intersection of 2 streets where quite a few cars were heading for work.

The dog had on a collar and with a tag and was pretty active wanting to play with Zach but I finally managed to hold it briefly steady enough to read a telephone # which I called on my cell phone. The woman answering said it must've gotten out, where was I, and please keep it with me and she'd be right there.

Zach was on-leash and I had no way of keeping it near me except his interest in Zach -- but fortunately that was enough.

A woman appeared in about 6-7 minutes and our new acquaintance hopped in her car and she thanked us for letting her know and keeping her dog safe.

Does YOUR dog have a tag with a telephone number on it just in case.............?
    Last edited by Bob Pr.; 05-09-2016 at 10:36 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Pr. For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (05-09-2016)

Yes. Both of my dogs wear collars with their first name and my cell phone number woven into the collar. Each collar also has a boomerang tag on it with my name and both our cell phone numbers on the tag. I don't want to depend upon dangling tags, when we've lost so many dangling tags in the past. I've found dogs with collars with no phone numbers or contact info. So frustrating. And my dogs are microchipped.

I have the dog's name and my cell number embroidered onto the collar. I use the cell rather than home phone just in case I am traveling and she gets lost. Not likely but I still like to be prepared.

House Broken
    Lawrence, KS (formerly in Topeka 50+ yrs)
    ....we've lost so many dangling tags in the past....
    Gosh! Both my previous Labs (Bess & Puff) wore dangling tags from their collars all their lives (almost 28 years) and we never lost a tag that I recall. And now Zach has one. And all 3 dogs were microchipped. But since your dogs have lost tags, I can appreciate why you also want that information also on their collars. Do your Labs do a lot of field work or running in areas with undergrowth?

Yes, our names, address and phone number. But NOT the dog's name. I read it might make it easier for someone to keep the dog if his name was there too. Like children, you don't put their name on their clothes. But all of the dogs I've found myself didn't care what I called them as long as I was friendly. Now that I think of it, none of the dogs I found had a phone number on but they did have rabies tags I could trace.

ETA: To clarify, our details are on a brass plaque on his collar. That's the part you can see I scribbled out in the avatar. Tags for rabies and municipality. And he has an ear tattoo. I've only lost one tag over many years.
    Last edited by Snowshoe; 05-09-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Ours have their names and our phone number embroidered on their collars. They also wear tags but I figure it's a good idea for someone to know a name and see a number to call in case they really don't care to interact too closely (of course, mine would be up in their faces, especially if they thought there was food involved).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    Gosh! Both my previous Labs (Bess & Puff) wore dangling tags from their collars all their lives (almost 28 years) and we never lost a tag that I recall. And now Zach has one. And all 3 dogs were microchipped. But since your dogs have lost tags, I can appreciate why you also want that information also on their collars. Do your Labs do a lot of field work or running in areas with undergrowth?
    Chase lost his in our backyard. They were attached by a split ring that I had thought would be strong enough but he came into the house without the tags and I couldn't find them outside. Our previous dogs weren't field work or undergrowth types of dogs (boxers and bullmastiffs) and I had them attached to collars by the little "S" shaped thing the tags came with from the vet or wherever.

eta: I re-read my first post and it said their collars have the dogs' first names on their collars. Just to clarify, my dogs only have one name apiece, aside from the AKC names which we never use. No Larky Barky Boo Boo or names like that around here.
    Last edited by smartrock; 05-09-2016 at 11:48 AM.

I do name and phone number embroidered on collars too. I don't trust tags.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Kimber has a flat boomerang collar tag with our cell phone number on it. We switched to the boomerang after a number of lost hanging tags- I don't know why she kept losing them, although we lived in the country and she hiked in the woods a lot? Anyway, after tag #3 disappeared we moved to the boomerang and it's been perfect. It does limit the type of collar we can use with her (it won't fit over the clip ones) but I'd rather she forego the pretty collars and have a tag that stays put! Boomerang Tags
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Tags with name, address and phone number. Many tags were lost over the years. Once a neighbour called me that he found a tag we had lost, lol!
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos