Thread: Bittersweet...

Red face Bittersweet...

Well, the last obedience exercise has been taught and is understood (not to be confused with mastered!). A little more work on directed jumping to ensure he completely understands what I am asking of him, and we're ready to chain that to the go-out.

After many months of avoiding teaching scent discrimination because it seemed really hard, he learned it in about two weeks (not sure where the "it figures!" emoticon is). I'm not yet asking for a sit in front and I don't even care if he dumps the article before he reaches me. All I care about is that he searches and picks up the correct article and that he is happy doing it. I am not encouraging the retrieve at this point as I want him to see this as a search and find exercise NOT a retrieving exercise. He decided to pick it up and bring it to me on his own after I increased distance, which we figured he would do. I've already seen him stress at this if I do more than about four reps, so we're just doing two per day. His MO is to retrieve ALL THE THINGS and do what he knows best, which is bring to front and hold. Not a big surprise, but good to know where his threshold is!

So, now onto the really hard stuff. Generalizing, maturing, proofing, decreasing rewards, continuing to work on my handling and all kinds of other stuff...maybe we'll be ready for the ring next year.

Here's a video of where we are in scent discrimination. I cannot help but smile when I see him working. That tail!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (05-10-2016), Maxx&Emma (05-12-2016), POPTOP (05-10-2016)

Woulda been sort of funny if the video showed him going out to the items, sniffing the camera followed by a few seconds of teeth, tongue, slobber and oropharynx.

But it did look like he knew what he was supposed to do and was enjoying doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
    Woulda been sort of funny if the video showed him going out to the items, sniffing the camera followed by a few seconds of teeth, tongue, slobber and oropharynx.

But it did look like he knew what he was supposed to do and was enjoying doing it.
    He is quite used to the camera these days!

He really is a lot of fun to watch!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos