Vaccination questions

This is one of those moments that I miss all the history that was on this Board. Murphy has come up to his one year point of "needing" updates on many vaccinations. I personally am not a person that likes to take lots of medications or flu shots so I am researching and trying to do the right thing for my dog. Here are the details and questions, and please be kind to me, Murphy is my first dog ---

First, I think it is helpful to know that Murphy goes to a place for doggy day care about twice a week, and we are using this same place for Boarding while we are gone for a week this summer. This place has the following requirements in terms of vaccinations:
    1. Distemper and Parvo shots required yearly.
    2. Rabies shot required yearly (or the 3 year dose)
    3. Bordetella vaccine every 6 months

My vet is recommending the following vaccines at an appt that I currently have for Friday.
    1. Canine Cough Vaccination
    2. Occult Heartworm test
    3. DHPP Vaccination
    4. Rabies Vaccination

Now, add into this that Murphy must have gotten into something over the weekend because he was vomiting on Sunday and Monday followed by some friendly diarrhea. He is doing better now, eating and drinking and playing normally. But I would say that his immune system is not at 100%.

So, here are my questions ---
    1. Do I really need a DHPP Vaccination or are there separate ones for just Distemper and Parvo. Do I specifically request this from my Vet? I also read the following:
    I recommend that all dogs receive a distemper/parvo booster 1 year after completion of their puppy series. After that, extremely low risk dogs may be tittered annually (refer to the discussion of vaccine titers under the rabies vaccine) or as recommended by their veterinarian. Animals that are at risk may be vaccinated every 3 years following the initial 1 year booster. For animals that fall in the middle, consider vaccinating every 3-5 years. As always, discuss your dog’s risk level with your veterinarian
    2. I've read that all vaccinations should only be given to a dog that is healthy. So, based on the fact that he was vomiting just a few days ago, should I reschedule my appt? My instinct says yes.
    3. I've read that Rabies vaccine should be given separately about 2-3 weeks apart from other vaccinations. True?
    4. I've read that the Bordetella vaccine really isn't even that effective. If this is true, should I talk to my Boarding/Day Care facility and see if they will let me opt out?
    World-renowned vaccination scientist, Dr. Ronald Schultz, says [emphasis mine]: “Many animals receive “kennel cough” vaccines that include Bordetella and CPI and/or CAV-2 every 6 to 9 monthswithout evidence that this frequency of vaccination is necessary or beneficial. In contrast, other dogs are never vaccinated for kennel cough and disease is not seen. CPI immunity lasts at least 3 years when given intranasally, and CAV -2 immunity lasts a minimum of 7 years parenterally for CAV-I. These two viruses in combination with Bordetella bronchiseptica are the agents most often associated with kennel cough, however, other factors play an important role in disease (e.g. stress, dust, humidity, molds, mycoplasma, etc.), thus kennel cough is not a vaccine preventable diseasebecause of the complex factors associated with this disease. Furthermore, this is often a mild to moderate self limiting disease. I refer to it as the ‘Canine Cold.’”

If we had the whole board history, I would be searching for answers, but I can't find anything. Any help, or recommended reading sources that you can provide would be great!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

I cannot imagine in gods green earth why a boarding/play facility would require annual vaccinations in this day and age. For that reason alone I would probably look for a different doggy daycare. :-) Bring them a copy of the new vaccine protocols university and teaching vet hospitals use now, UC Davis School of Vet Med:

Anyways, most vets do not carry the separated vaccines unfortunately. I would probably go ahead and do the Dhpp (distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza and parvo) combo vaccine. Just make sure it is a year from when he completed the puppies series, not a year from when he started it. I would do the rabies at least 2-3 weeks apart from the combo vaccine, just so as not to overload his immune system. Rule number 1 about vaccinating, is to never ever vaccinate a sick animal, the immune system is stressed fighting off whatever they are sick with, and chances are they won't seroconvert, so it's like not vaccinating at all.

From my my understanding from a friend that works in the industry, the rabies vaccine is exactly the same, labeled for one year or three years, but by all means, get one that's labeled for three years. And keep his rabies certificate in a safe place.

Canine cough is probably the bordetella vaccine, go ahead and give that I guess, most day cares require it every 6 months. If you can talk them out of it, do try to, but they probably won't budge in that. I don't give it and my dogs go everywhere with me and to shows and travel, and they just don't get kennel cough. Plus the KC vaccine just covers a few strains, and they can still get KC, Just like our human flu vaccines.

I also heartworm worm test every year even though I give heartworm meds year round. I want to know my protocol is working, so yes to the heartworm test.

So the takeaway is space out the vaccines, give as few as possible, and don't vaccinate a sick dog.
    Last edited by Shelley; 06-11-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Typo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

Murphy030813 (06-12-2014)

Agree with Shelley. How old is Murphy? Did he have a one year booster? If so, when was that? My vet doesn't even vaccinate yearly. When Lily got her one year booster last year, it was good for 3 years. Most daycare/boarding facilities will accept titers, so if you don't want to vaccinate, talk to them about that. But like Shelley said, they will make you get the bordetella, doubt they will budge on that one. And definitely don't do all of those vaccines in the same appointment, not ever, but especially if he hasn't been feeling well recently.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 3ChocMom For This Useful Post:

Murphy is 15 months, we adopted him from a shelter when he was 3 months, so the vaccinations in question would be his one year booster.

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    DHPP (distemper, hepatitis, parvo, parainfluenza) You only need distemper and parvo for your one year booster and your vet should be able to do this either combined or separate. And as stated this is one year from the last puppy shot received which should be 16 months of age.

I would not do hep. or the para. 3 years later do a titer for Dist. and Parvo rather than vaccinating again. Titer every 3 years up to age 10 according to Jean Dodds. From my research (started many years ago) giving a dog a vaccine when they already have the safe amount of immunity from past vaccines will not benefit the dog any further. Thus the reason for titers.

I also agree with finding a boarding facility that does not require yearly vaccines. That is insane and overkill on the dog. You might want to take the time to educate your boarding facility owner.

Bordatella is not a bad idea when using boarding kennels, going to dog parks..... but it only covers 4 strains and there are others out there.

I also would reschedule your apptmnt until he is 100% healthy. You are right. Never vaccinate a dog that is not 100% healthy, not matter the issue (even if just lethargic)

Rabies should be every 3 years and I would give 3-4 weeks away from the DP vaccine. Not 2 weeks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowco Labradors For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy030813 View Post
    Murphy is 15 months, we adopted him from a shelter when he was 3 months, so the vaccinations in question would be his one year booster.
    Was he vaccinated by the shelter and do you have a record of when he received his last puppy vaccination? Booster should be one year from that last puppy vaccine.

1. Distemper and Parvo shots required yearly.
    This is peculiar. My dog's vaccination certificate says when each was given and when it is valid to. The manufacturer warrants the DH2PP for three years. Sorry, it doesn't say who the manufacturer is. As far as I know any DH2PP is the same in N. America but you should ask your Vet. That 3 years validity starts after the one year booster.

Why are vets even giving DHPP or DH2PP every 3 years when you only need DP? Please talk to your vets about this. Overkill is dangerous to your dog. I had a dog in florida with a huge reaction last month because of too many vaccines - overkill. This is an 8 year old dog given DHPP and Lepto, corona and rabies........ uggggggg pups over 6 weeks of age are not even at risk for corona.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors View Post
    Was he vaccinated by the shelter and do you have a record of when he received his last puppy vaccination? Booster should be one year from that last puppy vaccine.
    He was turned in as a stray to the shelter, so the majority of the vaccinations were done by our vet so I have full records of them.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos