Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar

Teaching ~2 yr old dog to signal potty time

Hi guys,

When raising Sophie from a wee 9 week old pup, we brought her outside at short intervals and at routine times. Since we have kept this up, she does not in any way let us know if she wants outside.

Is it a big deal? Not really, as she's never left alone/inside for more than a work day, and then is taken outside once she's been fed, but I thought it was kind of strange that she never gives any signal to go out.

Thoughts/advice?
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SoapySophie For This Useful Post:

Senior Dog
    None of my previous dogs, nor Sunnie, ever let me know that going outside was necessary. (I would have appreciated a heads-up when we first got Sunnie and she had diarrhea...behind a chair)

Dan is subtle about it but he does let me know (he stares).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

SoapySophie (05-12-2016)

From reading others' posts here, I think some dogs just don't have a clear signal. My dogs' signal seems to be staring at me relentlessly and if I make any movement at all, they turn and run toward, but not to, the door. That's typically when i'm sitting in the living room, so them turning to run is also toward the kitchen and they will give me the stare at mealtime as well. If it's not meal time and I let them outside, as often as they go out and pee right away, they also go out and sniff around, lie down on the deck, eat grass and maybe 5-10 minutes later they will go. The only time they give a clear signal is when they need to go in the middle of the night, usually because they've eaten something that's given them the runs. At those times, Chase will bark and Lark will whine loudly, which is unusual behavior for the middle of the night.

If you have a schedule that works for you, and it sounds like it does, then I wouldn't worry about it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

SoapySophie (05-12-2016)

We used the bells with Daisy when she was a puppy. As she got older she stopped using them. When we got Lily, we trained Lily how to use them but she abused the bells so we started ignoring her when she did it and she resorted to a new signal she consists of 1. the potty dance followed by 2. Scratching/pawing at arms, and finally 3. Pouncing on us...repeat repeat repeat until we get up and take her out. Well apparently this annoys Daisy so Daisy has resorted to ringing the bells for Lily.

My dogs are ganging up against me.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (05-12-2016), Scoutpout (05-13-2016), Snowshoe (05-12-2016), SoapySophie (05-12-2016)

Best Friend Retriever SoapySophie's Avatar
    The schedule/frequency does seem to be working for all involved, so I guess that's that. Thanks.
    Sophie: Born July 28, 2014
    Hidden Content

Unless mine are having an issue (i.e., diarrhea) their cues, if any, are very subtle -- staring, looking uncomfortable, etc. Pacing in the middle of the night or random panting usually signals an emergency. Always has been this way with all of my Labs.

Oops responded in wrong post. Silly iPhone!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos