Puppy

Senior dog - When is it time?

Just venting I guess but I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. It's sadly become about me at this point. Our Senior Labrador - 13 1/2 years old - suffers from hip dysplasia and severe EPI (pancreas doesn't work and needs food enzymes). Our dog is alert and has no cognitive issues. She doesn't interact much anymore. She spends most of her day sleeping or disinterested. In her day , she was a smart , wonderful dog in every way. She's been on Previcox for years for her hips. She was recently diagnosed with EPI and is on Pancreaplus and ID Diet food. The EPI (we believe)went undiagnosed for years as we battled with stomach issues for years. Her hip condition is worsening. She drags herself on the floor more and more each day. She needs to go to the bathroom several times a day either to urinate or poop. She loves bread and that's the only way I can get her up each time. I give her a small piece to lure her outside. Once she's up - she wobbles but is able to walk. She pants heavily after each short walk. She's too heavy - 70lbs for me to carry or move around. Accidents in the house are less often with the Pancrea plus but when they happen it's bad. Not much quality of life for her or us. The conflict is that she doesn't seem sad but her care is taking a big toll on us. We've had a lot of chronic issues ourselves and need to get away. No one will take her. Dog sitters, boarding, vet, etc for a large dog with these kind of issues is not realistic. When is it time? I am just tired. We have been through a lot over the years and my reserves are depleted. Our dog has that beautiful Lab face and is still so gentle. I don't see her as being sad . I just do not know if I can keep come up with this.

This is such a difficult time, I am so sorry. I truly believe when an older dog has lost interest in the many things that once made them happy and is clearly in pain, it is time. I would much rather one day too soon than an hour too late. ((((hugs)))) to you.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (05-13-2016)

Puppy
    Thank you - I appreciate your kind words.

So sad to hear of your plight. We lost 3 at about your pups age. Our vet said what stuck with us, better one day too early than one day too late. You know what was the quality of life and what is the state now. The board is a great resource so check in as needed.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been where you are too many times. Labs are very stoic, a lot of times you really can't tell how much pain they are really in. They will look at you with those loving eyes, thump their tail because they want to make you happy. You are asking one of hardest questions we all face as dog owners. The only person who can make this decision is you. If you feel your dog is to the point where their quality of life is gone, you have to ask yourself "is it fair for me to keep this dog, who has loved me unconditionally for over 13 years living like this?"

I've always believed it was my responsibility to help my dogs pass over the Bridge with kindness, love, and dignity. No matter how much it hurts me, I've always felt letting them go was the ultimate act of love. I'd rather send a day to early then a day to late.

My prayers are with you at this very difficult time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (05-13-2016)

So very sorry she at this stage. We home senior labs and the decision is always hard.

Here is a link to a page that I think might help. It's about quality of life assessment. Pet Loss: Defining Quality of Life

We are at the same stage with Mardi, day by day. Although she has surprised me lately with a few antics, her hips are declining rapidly and she sleeps all the time. Sometimes she is with it mentally and sometimes not but she does not miss a scrap of food.

Sending good thoughts and hugs.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

ronmcq (05-13-2016)

Im sorry to hear about your old baby, its a very tough place to be. I lost my 17 year old pom last year to kidney failure, she was my first dog as an adult and the first one that I had to make the decision by myself about end of life choices.

I let her go when she longer had life in her eyes, when she stopped asking for her dinner 3 hours before it was time, when all she did was sleep and barely interacted with me at anymore. I couldnt handle seeing her like that. I wanted to spare her some dignity the best I could. She was a strong, outgoing little spitfire and this was not my dog

And then there was the treatments, the meds and the iv fluids that I had to put into her back every other day. She absolutely hated it and it ripped my heart out everytime I had to do it. It took me 2 weeks to say goodbye after she was diagnosed, kidney failure came on quickly, she was just old and slow the week prior. i spent every minute I could telling her how much i loved her and how thankful i was to share 17 years with her and then I woke up one morning and I made the decision that it was enough, She needed me to help her move on and i couldnt handle another moment watching her deteroriate and the thought of her suffering was to much for me. Letting her go is when I understood what it means to sacrifice my heart and soul for a dog that I loved so deeply. I no longer cared about how badly I was going to hurt, it gave me peace to know that she will never spend another moment suffering

Anyway my point is that you will know when its to much for both of you and when you need to make the decision.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (05-13-2016)

I'm sorry you are going through this. Out of love, it needs to be about her. Good luck to you, it is a difficult time.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MontananDakota For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (05-13-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos