Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Be honest...

Be honest...

I was in a conversation with some folks about dogs, sort of half listening to what was being said until my ears picked up on... "yeah, he dashes past me to go through the gate/door/stairwell and almost takes me off at the knees every time. Wonder how to fix that and if it's worth it."

Everyone knows what we've been through with the eponymous Ram Jet Rocket Dog, and getting her to WAIT has been the most absorbing and challenging part of her entire life. I wasn't sure if I could speak to it to the person because it would come out something like...

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? OF COURSE YOU CAN FIX IT AND YOU BETTER START NOW!!!" (The edit function on my mouth is somewhat unpredictable.)

So my question is (and be honest) do you demand that your dog sit when told to and wait for you to give your blessing before moving? If not, why not? I'm not asking to be judgmental. Not everyone has a Rocket Dog who would be completely out of control and driving everyone crazy without a lot of (shall we say) structure in her life.

Maverick must sit when I tell him to. Every time. I do do a formal release except when I tell him to stay specifically. This is because I'd forget to release him and I don't want him releasing himself. It was easier to teach two different commands because of, ultimately, our shortcomings.

Do you mean manners type stuff? The only time I ask them to stay, like around the house, is when I am feeding them and going in and out of doors. I am consistent and reinforce everything I ask for.

Senior Dog
    Mine are told "stay inside" at gates and outside doors unless I want them accompanying me...I don't care whether they sit or remain standing. They obey.

They're told "stay" when I open the tailgate, before Bob actually lifts them to take them out. They obey.

I tell them to "wait" when I open the basement door...to let them out...because I don't want them both charging out at the same time and Sunnie ending up with a tooth through her lip when she bumps into Dan (which happened). They're in a rush to see if the groundhog is back by the shed. Dan's always the first at the door and I have to put a hand in front of Sunnie's head to keep her back for a few seconds.

Other than that, I don't think I tend to have to control them...no one rushes past me anywhere (well...Sunnie would at the basement door if I didn't physically put up a restraint). It's too dangerous to have dogs buzzing past you...either for you (top of the stairs, for example) or the dog (if it gets out of the gate/door).

I don't always wear my filter, either, and try to temper how I react to things people say.

I don't make them formally sit at doors but they do have to wait and I don't allow them to bull rush past me. Benelli being as intense as he is must sit and be calm before he is released. He's my rescue and has some anxiety and is hyperactive . If I didn't make him sit and calm down he circle paces (runs)

LOL, that, waiting to go through a gate, was the last station on our CGN exam. Oban was to sit before we exited the ring. There wasn't an actual gate, just an opening in the fence. He sat nicely as required. But it was an outside test at an all breed dog show, lots was going on and something caught his attention. We were ready to leave but Oban sat. And sat. For the life of me I couldn't get his attention. He didn't appear to either see or hear me, just sat, engrossed in whatever he was listening to, zoned right out. I had to tap him on the head before he sort of "came to" and out we went.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Mine will sit and wait if asked to, but I don’t always ask them to - it depends on the situation.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

No bull rushing here.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mine know wait and both obey it without any issues.

It is kind of scary to think about a dog that would not respond to this command when it comes to an open door, gate or car door. I would be chasing 2 dogs that I have no doubt would go in 2 completely different directions! Emma does not have the best recall if she is not in the mood...
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

If we are both going through a door or gate while she's on lead, she has to wait and let me go first and then Ok her. On walks, we stop before every street crossing—she doesn't have to be told any more: she just stops and looks up until we say "Ok, let's go," and then will walk.

I don't need to do much of that in the house. If someone is at the door, I'll tell her "wait" and she'll freeze. But she's a pretty self-controlled young dog, so while she needs to do what I tell her, there's not a lot of need for correction.
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos