Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Am I keeping my dog from having a good productive life?

I've noticed most everyone here has their dog doing amazing things with agility and sporting things. They have been getting accolades and awards (insert acronym here) for various things. Even Milo's parents were hunting dogs but I really had no intention of doing any of that with Milo. I was just planning on having a buddy to go places with me like the race track, camping, swimming, hiking, and things like that. I'm starting to feel like I'm not being a good dog parent to Milo. I work a lot and any free time I do get, I want to be racing or camping or some such thing. When I say that out loud, it seems kind of selfish.

Am I being a bad daddy?

Real Retriever
    Is Milo with you during your off time? I think that is the main question you have to answer. As long as you guys are together and learning new things and being active, I think you are probably doing a good job.

There are all different ways to be a family. As long as you both are physically and mentally active, I wouldn't worry to much.

It can be easy to get caught up in what everyone else is out doing with their dogs via social media, and then compare to your own situation. I’ve done this before, not just in regards to dog sports but when I see my friends on FB taking pics of their dogs out and about doing fun things in general. Like if I’m at work and see a FB pic of a friend who is out hiking with their dog I feel guilty. No reason to, my dogs get plenty of attention and do and see more things than the average dog. But I think in general, social media causes us to start comparing our lives to others. And people only tend to post the best things from their lives or the best things that their dogs do, especially on FB. Tux and Cabo are my first dogs ever, I had no idea about dog sports prior to owning them. We did dabble in a couple that they had natural talent for, but nowhere near the time and commitment that some people put into them. And that is fine b/c it suites our lifestyle. As long as you and Milo are happy and fulfilled, that is all that matters. Labs in general are happy to just spend time with their people. If you had a malinois or some sort of breed that NEEDS a job to do, then that might be different. But most people I know are sane enough to realize their limits when looking at what breed of dog to get.

Millions (billions?) of dog owners cannot be awful. Go to any sporting event and there are like, a couple hundred entries, many of the same people with the same dogs that you see at the same types of events. A lot of people got into sports because they were living with a dog that needed a job. Or they fell into it somehow. Not because they felt the dog could have a better life or something. I do know lots of people who train (a lot! to the higher levels) and never trial due to time or money or health issues or just hating trialing for one reason or another (some people sign up then barf their guts out in a parking lot before turning around and going back home). If you're happy and your dog is happy, I wouldn't worry about it!

I would say the majority doesn't do agility or sporting events with there dogs. The life you are describing for Milo is a wonderful life for a dog. I own a 8 month old female from hunting lines as well and I have no intentions of doing any sort of hunting with her. I don't feel guilty, she has a great, active life with someone who adores her

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (05-19-2016)

I wouldn't think that way at all! Hiking, swimming, and just being with you is enough for your dog! Heck, some would even look at the activities you do and think they are not doing enough with their dogs. But rest assured, you are not a bad dog parent. He's not out there comparing himself to other dogs and thinking about all the things he's missing out on. Just being with you is the greatest thing and it's enough for him! Would he like to do agility, or hunting, or another dog "sport"? Probably! There's no harm in trying it if you think it's something you would enjoy and are capable.

Remember, people that do dog sports or hunt with their dogs do it ultimately because they enjoy it. It's their hobby, in the same way that some people enjoy exercising or reading.

Your dog will live a perfectly happy life doing all of those things or none of those things.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arentspowell For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (05-19-2016)

With a few exceptions, if I'm not at work, Milo and I are together. I take him to the dog park for at least 2 hours every day where he has made several friends and they play together. I have had him at the race track a couple times and he's not quite ready to be my full on pit dawg but we're getting there. We go to the river on Sundays to explore and with summer here, camping is next. Sometimes though, I just want to lay on the couch and watch TV. I'll give him a pig ear and we chill out. I just worry that it may not be enough for him, I'm getting old and slowing down. Luckily, Milo seems to be one of those super rare mellow labs and seems happy to nap most of the time. I'm probably worrying about nothing here, it's just been a LONG time since I had a puppy and I don't want to screw this up.

Real Retriever
    You are doing awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by TT120 View Post
    With a few exceptions, if I'm not at work, Milo and I are together. I take him to the dog park for at least 2 hours every day where he has made several friends and they play together. I have had him at the race track a couple times and he's not quite ready to be my full on pit dawg but we're getting there. We go to the river on Sundays to explore and with summer here, camping is next. Sometimes though, I just want to lay on the couch and watch TV. I'll give him a pig ear and we chill out. I just worry that it may not be enough for him, I'm getting old and slowing down. Luckily, Milo seems to be one of those super rare mellow labs and seems happy to nap most of the time. I'm probably worrying about nothing here, it's just been a LONG time since I had a puppy and I don't want to screw this up.
    If you feel bad or want to do more or think the dog wants to, there are plenty of easy things you can do. Tricks, for example (you can even get a trick title on your dog). Nosework is pretty easy and fun and you can do it in your living room with shoe boxes and kibble (you can get nosework titles, too). It doesn't have to be difficult like obedience or field work or agility or rally. You can even do barnhunt stuff, which is more active, but very easy at the lower levels (many dogs get their instinct and novice titles the first time they try it).

House Broken
    I very much doubt Milo cares about earning titles as long as he gets to spend fun time with you. Dog sports are more because it's the owner's hobby - not the dog's.
    mom to:
    Carley (Impulse Revival of Sweetrox CGCA RN)
    Hex (UKC CH Stormy C's Black Magic)
    Luci (the husky that tries to act like the labs)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sam I Am For This Useful Post:

Abulafia (05-19-2016), doubledip1 (05-20-2016), Scoutpout (05-21-2016), windycanyon (05-20-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos