Puppy

The change from adult to senior dog care... when?

Hey guys,

Our little family has been making some changes lately. We just lost our little guy Frankie to bloat a couple of weeks ago. He was the youngest of our little crew. Since everything played out the way that it did we have been taking some extra precautions and rethinking the way we do things. Neither of us want to have to make those hard choices again with our other babies. So far we have changed the eating schedule up and introduced slow feed bowls to our boys who are race eaters. In everything it hit me for the first time since they were puppies that they are delicate. Maybe it is the grief for my little man but I have started noticing how they have slowed down just a little bit and the grey hair that has peppered their face. I realized the other day that they fall in the senior age group which floors me. How did that happen to my puppies?

Anyway do you guys feed senior food? What age did you switch your dog? Do you give supplements for joints? What kind? I looked at the catalog we order from and quickly became overwhelmed. As far as joint friendly beds go... I have always been the DIY dog bed type and I intend on making them some new beds and crate mats out of memory foam mattress toppers. Riley and Bud are both turning 9 in the next few months and Koda our little Lab mix girlie will be 11 in July.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthatpup View Post
    Hey guys,

Our little family has been making some changes lately. We just lost our little guy Frankie to bloat a couple of weeks ago. He was the youngest of our little crew. Since everything played out the way that it did we have been taking some extra precautions and rethinking the way we do things. Neither of us want to have to make those hard choices again with our other babies. So far we have changed the eating schedule up and introduced slow feed bowls to our boys who are race eaters. In everything it hit me for the first time since they were puppies that they are delicate. Maybe it is the grief for my little man but I have started noticing how they have slowed down just a little bit and the grey hair that has peppered their face. I realized the other day that they fall in the senior age group which floors me. How did that happen to my puppies?

Anyway do you guys feed senior food? What age did you switch your dog? Do you give supplements for joints? What kind? I looked at the catalog we order from and quickly became overwhelmed. As far as joint friendly beds go... I have always been the DIY dog bed type and I intend on making them some new beds and crate mats out of memory foam mattress toppers. Riley and Bud are both turning 9 in the next few months and Koda our little Lab mix girlie will be 11 in July.
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Bloat in Labs is not that common.

I do not feed senior feed, just all life stages. Typically less food as their needs decrease, but I often add frozen green beans so they don't feel like they are starving. I have not fed joint supplements to my dogs, just a good diet, and try to keep them lean. Some people swear by them or use them for mild pain relief. I'm sure they'll join in with advice.

As far as beds, I do get the dogs really thick beds when they get old, so they don't get cold from the floor or feel the floor (I have all tile and hardwood). But, if they are too thick (crib mattress, for example) the really old dogs can have trouble getting off and on.

My older dogs (and my 5 y/o) get a fish oil and a lose dose G/C pill with every meal. I keep them on a good higher protein diet, which helps keep muscles in good working order.

It's not as important to feed a food marketed as "senior", as it is to keep them at a lean weight. I would definitely start them on some sort of joint supplement. Mine are all seven (Tux will be eight in August), and I did recently spend a chunk of money on an orthopedic bed, after I began to suspect that Tux might have some arthritis. I wanted him to have the option of that, and he loves it but he still lays on the other dog beds and the couch/bed. If you don't already do yearly bloodwork (CBC with blood chemistry profile and UA, usually if you say you want a "senior blood panel", that is what you are getting), I would definitely start doing that. And monthly exams by you to check for any lumps or bumps.

Senior Dog
    Mine have never been on senior food - even when they reach 15. They just get smaller amounts of the same things they’ve always had. I also give joint supplements and fish oil from a young age, so not much changes in the senior routine as far as that.

Everything else I just go by the dog - I can tell when previous amounts of exercise are a bit much and we slow down accordingly. Different dogs age in different ways. Scully had to retire from competition at 8 because of severe arthritis. Mulder competed until he was 11 and could have gone a bit longer if we had wanted.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

So very sorry for your loss.

I home senior labs and somewhere a GSD sneaked in too. They have been an average age of 7-8 so the minute they walk in the door they are started on glucosamine/chondroitin/MSN (Cosequin DS), Grizzly salmon oil and vitamin C. Each has joined us with a varying degree of problems, from Mardi with a very bad hip and bad knee on the opposite side, to Potion who had no joint problems, to Bandit who had a bad ear, to Archie with extremely bad teeth. Have never fed senior food just less of it using frozen green beans (or canned if you wish but with no salt) and fruit (I feed Fromm). Beds have mostly been the PetsMart brand Top Paw ortho beds. Even so, depending on the temperature they may prefer the bed or the cool kitchen floor. Exercise is so very important; even Mardi who is very limited in mobility needs to keep her joints moving as much as tolerated. It's not only for physical health but mental acuity too. One thing to watch out for is slipping on floors. I have carpet runners all over the house. Senior check ups and blood panels start at age 7, or as my vet says, any dog I bring in.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

so sorry for your loss.

I never did use senior food. my 3 year old active mix breed eats the same food as my 12 year old senior lab. You can start glucosimine early, many starts when the dogs are young adults.

I started bloodwork a bit earlier to have a baseline (aka senior blood panel). I think...7-8 (that's my personal choice). If all is good you don't need to do it yearly but I think 7 makes a good baseline not too late. By 9-10 i'd consider yearly (ish) (I ended up doing yearly at 9 as we were tracking potentially weird results, then he went on nsaids).

By 10 he was having a harder and harder time with warm days so he got less exercise. Rocky now gets more shorter walks to keep him active, because he has a nerve issue in the back. You want to keep the active and moving, but not to cause them undoe soreness/pain. Rock's been on nsaids and gabapentin for a few years now. Started with issues doing stairs, walking very slow. He does much better with the meds.

Surprising Findings about Dog Food for Older Dogs

The link within the link on protein needs is interesting.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Puppy
    Thank you guys for all the responses! I am sorry it has taken be a bit to come back and go through them. We are working our way into being homesteaders and its the busy season around here. After doing a bit of reading and what you guys have said here we are going to keep our pups on their current food. They are doing pretty good maintaining their weight and I just don't want to invite trouble where there isn't any. I am still working out what supplements to give I plan on asking the vet as well. We did order some senior vitamins from Foster and Smith for now though so hopefully that will be alright. They also raid the rabbit poo pretty much daily, so there is that for digestion. (lol gross I know) Their shots are coming due in a few months and I will probably have them do the senior blood work at that point. To be honest we are on a payment plan for everything with our Frankie so it is just going to have to wait a a month or two. They seem to be in pretty good health though so it shouldn't be an issue. You guys are so sweet. Thank you for all the comments. I know my dogs are not pure bred and only Koda is part Lab but I appreciate you being so nice.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos