Thread: Funny quirks...

Real Retriever

Funny quirks...

A person on another forum wrote up a quick little paragraph on the silly things that make up their dog. I enjoyed reading it so I thought I would start one here. I am going to include the cats, 'cause well, if I don't they might smother me in my sleep!

Piper-will only sleep on her stomach, only likes the smooth rubber balls (she spits out the rough tennis balls, she's a classy kind of girl, dontcha know) will only kiss me, allows the cats to snuggle and lick her for up to five minutes at a time but no longer, will eat anything off a counter but won't touch the exact same items in a wide open pantry, will not allow me to use bathroom alone, can run for DAYS, prefers the weather to be between 50-60 degrees and dry (unless snow is an option) is ALWAYS hopping at the garage door when I come home and puts herself to bed every night in her kennel by 8:00

Moxie-the worrier. Must know where Piper and Henry are, otherwise she is looking for them. Once they are located, she proceeds to smother them. Must use the cat box the minute it is clean, gets in bed with me AFTER Mark leaves for work, never before. Still trying her hardest to get that first kill, we think she's a little challenged.

Henry-the hunter. Brings presents every day, will allow Piper to take and play with his live prey, only looks mildly annoyed when she doesn't complete the job to his satisfaction-they are definitely in the "Foe not Friend" category. Super chill, literally must have a stash somewhere 'cause he looks stoned A LOT. Sleeps with Jada, has never used his claws on her regardless of how much she lugs him around.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Piper'sMom For This Useful Post:

brownie trout
    Love this!! LOL

4. The Following User Says Thank You to brownie trout For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (05-26-2016)

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten more traction.

In the evenings, Mocha will lay with his front feet under DH's recliner and his back feet touching my chair. That way, he'll know if we move.

When I take him out mid-morning, he always checks the same places, wood barn, rock pile, creek, and several other places. Every day he "makes the rounds".

Mocha will choose the ball he wants to play with. If we choose another ball after he's picked, he'll chase it but he won't bring it back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (05-26-2016)

Real Retriever
    Ruger- Definitely the baby. He was my first. Has a "perch" on the arm of the sofa. Eats really slow. Not really a cuddler but when he wants to, it's full-on spooning. Very smart with a serious personality.

Charlie- Total opposite of his brother. My shelter dog. Scarfs down his food. Plays with his Frisbee like there's no tomorrow. Always by my side (on my lap, on my feet, etc). I call him my big dumb jock that loves everybody.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruger's Mom For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (05-26-2016)

I have yet to discover just how long Sophie can go without a pee or poo break. So far she's gone 13 hours without wanting to go out. Notice I said wanting. It was over night, we were home. When we work up, Sophie hopped in bed with us and we went back to sleep for another hour. Then we laid there checking email etc, and loving on Sophie for another 20-30 minutes. She had been in the house 13 hours at this point, I was sure if she pee'd when she went out the night before, so it could have been 15 hours since she had gone. Went downstairs, put shoes on etc, put Sophie on her leash and went for our morning walk. She still didn't go until we we half way around the neighborhood.

This leads me to her second quirk. She won't poo in her yard.

She would also sell me out for a banana, or a tiny piece of one.

Other than that, she's pretty much a normal Lab.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (05-26-2016)

When Crafther is working in her office about 4:30 Mocha will come in and start watching out the window for me to come up the driveway. He stands up when he sees me and waits until I turn the curve in front of the house and races to the garage door to greet me.
    He can be in the basement and if he hears me open the jar of peanut butter pretzels he will break the sound barrier getting to me! I have tried to open the plastic jar quietly but have never been able to fool him!
    He never sees a stranger when it comes to dogs. He always drops into a play bow as soon as he sees another dog. He gets really excited when he sees a dog bigger than him!
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (05-26-2016)

Real Retriever
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    When Crafther is working in her office about 4:30 Mocha will come in and start watching out the window for me to come up the driveway. He stands up when he sees me and waits until I turn the curve in front of the house and races to the garage door to greet me.
    He can be in the basement and if he hears me open the jar of peanut butter pretzels he will break the sound barrier getting to me! I have tried to open the plastic jar quietly but have never been able to fool him!
    He never sees a stranger when it comes to dogs. He always drops into a play bow as soon as he sees another dog. He gets really excited when he sees a dog bigger than him!
    I bet he is gonna be so excited to have a puppy to play with!

Emma is 1/2 Lab and 1/2 Border Collie so she is a bit mixed up, lol! She is a retrieving fool and will fetch until she drops. She herds the cats and Maxx, it is too funny. She is a big kisser and can go on for quite awhile. We suspect she would have loved being a mama dog, she has 2 very special pink pig stuffies that stay on her bed at all times. Every night before she settles down to sleep each one gets a thorough washing until they are completely wet. They have to be washed weekly because they are stiff/crunchy from their nightly "baths". She is a huge cuddle bug and scared of many things. If you are her family, she loves you with complete passion. If you are a stranger, it appears she will rip out your throat. Chances are she would be in one of our laps if someone said "boo"! She is graceful and was very athletic until age and arthritis slowed her down. She still has her moments of crazy, all out fun but they are farther apart as the days go by. As a puppy until maybe 2 years ago she was a sight to behold during play time. She is a very polite eater and loves to save goodies, like bully sticks, to torment Maxx with. She is a tattletale and bossy, she makes me laugh every day.

Maxx is the sweetest, gentlest, most obedient and loving Lab i have ever had. He reminds me of a big teddy bear. He is incredible at reading the patients when we do therapy work. He knows who needs to laugh and who needs a hug and he never hesitates. I swear this boy has brought me to tears with his compassion so many times. He loves to meet people and other dogs when we are walking and his butt hits the ground in a polite sit as soon as he sees another human. He becomes very bewildered on the rare occassion someone chooses not to acknowledge him. He is usually too hot to cuddle for very long but he likes to give his version of a hug which is laying his head on your shoulder and snuffling in your ear. He is very routine oriented and does not appreciate any changes. His bedtime is 10 pm, every night without fail and he insists I go with him. He does not appreciate talking once he is in bed for the night but he does allow the tv on as long as the volume is low. He will only drink fresh, cold water and still likes to blow bubbles. Bully sticks and raw, meaty bones are only eaten on his mat and his breakfast/dinner dance still makes me laugh twice a day. He can hear a banana being peeled in the kitchen when he is passed out in the bedroom and I think his heart would break if whoever has one didn't share. He loves green beans, fresh, cooked or frozen, it doesn't matter. He would sell me for a piece of cheese and he runs to clean up the floor whenever I say "uh-oh". He sleeps on his back, completely sprawled out and snores like a freight train. He loves to retrieve and swimming is done in anything from a puddle to the ocean. He is definitely 100 percent the perfect Lab.

I love these 2 so much, I am so glad I am lucky enough to share my life with them.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

barry581 (05-26-2016), Piper'sMom (05-27-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos