Have you seen "The Champions"?

I watched this documentary last night, about the Michael Vick fighting dogs. Man, was my heart just ripped from my chest!

Michael Vick is a sociopath but that is not surprising. As long as someone is great at a sport, no matter what they do to animals or women, they are pretty much all heros. I'm glad the documentary had very little about him, and was more about the dogs and the people behind their rescue and recovery.

There are some truly amazing people out there! The Animal Sanctuary employees are incredible human beings who clearly pour their hearts and souls into what they do. And, the people who adopted these dogs are so full of compassion and dedication. The ways in which they adjusted their expectations and their lives for these dogs is incredible.

I'm not a big fan of the breed, personally, and I'm not going to run out and get a pitbull or pitbull type. But, I do have a clearer picture of where that compassion comes from in the people who adopt them. The things these particular dogs went through makes me sick and the fact that some were able to be completely rehabbed is astounding. The things they, as a breed, are put through by humans is pretty sickening.

It's more of a feel-good movie than sad, just really heart-wrenching. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

(Also, the cinematography is really beautiful in some scenes.)

Link to the movie website with a movie trailer and additional information: The Champions
    Last edited by Labradorks; 05-24-2016 at 03:45 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Berna (05-24-2016)

Have not seen it but will look for it. From what I've seen and read in the past about everything, the dogs and their rescuers are the heroes.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Sounds interesting, thanks!
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I watched it a couple weeks ago and was extremely moved by it! I even posted on FB about it and usually I don't post every movie I watch, lol. A good friend of mine was once very active in pit bull rescue, she helped with a dog fighting ring bust that was written up in the NY Times in Missouri, the MO 500. She kept a puppy from that bust after the court released them, and she is an awesome girl.

This movie did make me want to immediately go out and rescue and rehabilitate a dog from a similar situation, and then common sense kicked in. Maybe someday though.

House Broken
    Lawrence, KS (formerly in Topeka 50+ yrs)
    Internet Movie Database has a great link on it. Its members vote this movie better than 9 of 10 stars.
    It's a documentary, Color, 90 min.

The Champions (2015) - IMDb

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos