Thread: Puppy Fever!!

Puppy Fever!!

So many puppy announcements around here, I love it! I'm soaking up all the threads since we'll be looking for a second lab once we're done moving and getting settled in. I know we don't talk about breeders openly here, but I wanted to put this out there in case anyone rom the PNW can PM me advice on where to start. Google is a wealth of knowledge but I prefer personal tips to help narrow down the good clubs/breeders/sources of info.

I always thought we'd get our second lab when Thor was 3-4 years old and we'd go back to the breeder where we got him. But they are down in central CA, and we're moving to Central OR. I'm not entirely opposed to staying with them and dealing with the distance, but if we can find what we're looking for in the PNW I'd be happy to go somewhere else

Thor will be 3 in January so I'm thinking we'd like to bring in his 'little brother' sometime next year. I know that good breeders can have quite a waiting list so that's why I'm starting to casually look now. I can wait longer if we find the right breeder. We're looking for another lab like Thor - english lines but with a bit of a spark for outdoor activities like hiking and running. He comes from english lines on his mom's side, but his dad is a working lab (farm and hunt). The breeder we went to for him is primarily a pet lab breeder that focuses on temperament and health, so that's what I liked about them. I'd be looking for something similar in the PNW. We have no plans to show the pup, but something like obedience or agility is not out of the question, it's just something we haven't explored yet.

And just to get it out of my system: AHHHHH PUPPIES!!!!!!
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

I'm on the board of the local club and know many of the breeders here: Breeder List

For the most part, these are all conformation breeders, but conformation Labs do outdoorsy stuff too and many of these dogs could easily get their WCs without training. Some have more drive than others, but I don't think you'll have an issue with any of these dogs being active as long as you keep them healthy and lean. If you're serious about Agility, a conformation dog is probably not your best bet. But, most can easily do the basics especially in the lower level preferred classes (preferred = lower jump height).

All the breeders in my area on this list breed ethically and responsibly and are very involved in the breed and passionate about the breed and the sport. They all do testing and as far as I know and am aware, breed healthy dogs with excellent temperaments. Though some stick out more than others, I can't think of one breeder on the list that would steer you wrong. Even some of the best breeders do not have long waiting lists. In this part of the world, field Labs are way more popular as are BYB Labs.

There's a breeder in your area, who you'll see on the list, but she breeds about once every three years for performance.

Our specialty is in July if you want to come up and meet folks. Our hunt test is also in July, but you'll find just a small handful of breeders there, many of which are working as volunteers for the club and not testing.

Feel free to PM me if you want specific information. I may not have what you are looking for, but could probably hunt it down.

Good luck!

Thanks for the great tips. I'd been exploring the Rose City website and I'm super happy to read your opinion on the breeder list. I had started looking through them and I think I know who you're talking about. Good point about the field labs being more popular. With 10 acres a field lab might be fine, but I kind of enjoy our mellow english goof and think I'll stick with what I know for our second lab. I'll probably PM once I start looking at a specific breeder or two. Or more. Thanks!
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

There are many good breeders in the Oregon/Washington area who breed well-rounded Labs that look like they should, and can perform successfully in a variety of venues. Unless you guys are looking to be uber agility competitors or national field champions, you'll have plenty of breeders to choose from. I definitely have my favorites up in the PNW, including good personal friends, so feel free to PM.

I will say, if you are looking at resources like the AKC Marketplace, do so with a (large) grain of salt. Lots of dilute Lab breeders on there as well as generally BYB who don't belong to clubs, don't prove their dogs, and do the bare minimal health testing. Given the wealth of breeders in your area, you can and should demand better for your next dog IMO.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (05-27-2016)

i hear you on the puppy fever! i had been looking at breeders more semi-seriously but that has been shelved for a long time now :P My current dogs are too expensive for me to adaquately save any money

My one recommendation is to go to the OFA site and research the prospective parents, and any progeny. Also check other dogs the breeder owns, it will give you a sense of what clearances they are doing now, and what's been done in the past. It's not perfect as a lot of people who may have an issue won't submit to the OFA, but it's a great resourse.

Yes, the puppy fever is making me crazy too! With Emma's current health issues I am not sure it is fair or smart to think about another puppy right now but it is so hard!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Aimee is only 8 months old and I already have puppy fever again!!

Real Retriever
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeysMommy View Post
    Aimee is only 8 months old and I already have puppy fever again!!
    I've had puppy fever since Piper was six months old! It has been ridiculous-although I am a little nervous cause she was a pretty easy puppy, with my luck the next one will be a demonic spawn from Hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Piper'sMom View Post
    I've had puppy fever since Piper was six months old! It has been ridiculous-although I am a little nervous cause she was a pretty easy puppy, with my luck the next one will be a demonic spawn from Hell!
    Zoey was the spawn of satan and Aimee was even worse, nothing can scare me anymore or make me nervous when it comes to lab puppies. Aimee is certainly much better than she was at 3 to 4 months old but damn that puppy makes me tired. She is damn lucky she is so stinking adorable and sweet and walks around with that big goofy lab grin all the time

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

Piper'sMom (05-27-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos