What? - Another neighbor story.

Our neighbors have kind of categorically ignored my husband. He was just fine with that. Recently though he's been going for walks and some have talked to him for the first time. We've had a reputation of sorts with a couple of them for putting our foot down on their bad behavior so we just assumed that they have been making nasty remarks but the drama must have worn off when nothing happened with these other people. In other words, I'm sure we were painted as the aggressors when, in reality, the other neighbors were.

In any event, two of the new(er) men decided to talk to my husband this morning. My husband told me that he talked about what the neighborhood was like when he was a kid and told other stories.

One neighbor has a wife who is a professional counselor. They have a four year old son. She does some gardening but they have a very small property. I call it a postage stamp. She has always been very nice even when her husband has not. This is a young couple and she is petite and very well put together. Her husband has said that she wants to do a vegetable garden but there's really nowhere to put it and the light on their property is terrible.

Meanwhile, I'm digging up our property, clearing brush, expanding the gardens and raising chickens and I dress accordingly.

My husband related this to me. He said he just didn't know what to say.

Neighbor: Susan would be happy to help your wife with your property.
    My husband: That's nice. I'll pass that along.
    Neighbor: My wife is very strong.
    And here's where my husband just didn't know what to say so he said, "My wife is strong too."

How does this kind of thing even come up? Is that a thing now? And who offers their wife's services? She's perfectly capable of offering her assistance herself. She seems pretty busy as it is.

Just bizarre.

Real Retriever
    To me it sounds like he is a little socially awkward and maybe trying to pave the way for a friendship between the wives. Huh. Well, if you don't want her help, send her my way. We have an acre and with me working six days a week it is kicking my a**!

Odd thing to say but like Piper's Mom said, maybe he was struggling for something to say. Then again, maybe his wife is pining for a larger area to garden and envies yours.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Odd thing to say but like Piper's Mom said, maybe he was struggling for something to say. Then again, maybe his wife is pining for a larger area to garden and envies yours.
    I was starting to think that and would be happy to offer her space in the field but if her husband wanted her to do that and she didn't, it might be awkward.

Senior Dog
    I'd let Susan make the next move.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (05-29-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos