TPLO recovery in a multiple dog household?

While Coast is in surgery having his TPLO done, I'm wondering if there are board members that have dealt with the TPLO recovery regimen with multiple dogs in the house?

I think it would be hard enough to keep 1 lab quiet and crated for 12 weeks. How did you keep the recovering dog calm when the others are still running around?

House Broken
    Haven't done a TPLO but have been through many other surgeries. Baby gates and crates, all around the house. A bit of a maze but its so important to keep all dogs quiet. We did seperate bathroom trips too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to indybindy For This Useful Post:

csblabmom (06-12-2014)

My Lily had a TTA when she was 11 months old and I had 2 other dogs, plus a foster dog, during her recovery. I basically baby-gated my house in half. Lily got one half, the other dogs got the other half. Since Lily was a puppy, I knew she would try to play with the other dogs if they were around her and that was a big no-no. I did it for 6 months, until her surgeon released her from restrictions. It wasn't fun, but she recovered beautifully with no complications, so it was worth it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 3ChocMom For This Useful Post:

csblabmom (06-13-2014)

ex-pens is the way to go !
    and like someone mentioned, separate bathroom breaks !

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bearbuddymarie For This Useful Post:

csblabmom (06-13-2014)

House Broken
    OMG! This is so timely. Our Lab has been nursing a partial tear and as of yesterday it appears to be totally ruptured. He is scheduled for a surgeon consult w/apt for surgery same day. I am not too worried about keeping him quiet but it's our 20 month Newfoundland that wants to run and play with him. She will not be a happy camper. 3ChocMom's idea of dividing up the house sounds like it might work. We already have a containment area for both of them but her post made me realize that they can't be in it together. The Newf can stay in the normal confinement area and the Lab can be in an ex pen on the other side of the house where the cats hang out.

It's going to be bed time that is the problem. The Lab normally sleeps in our bed with the Newf on her own bed on the floor. DH and I will have to take turns sleeping in the living room with our Lab. Luckily we have a nice recliner.

Is there anything else I am missing? I already ordered a "Help em Up" harness to help him get up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shelly For This Useful Post:

csblabmom (06-13-2014)

When Zo was recovering from surgery (she has elbow dysplasia), we were constantly on it. Either Zo was crated or everyone else was. Back and forth. We never left her alone. There was at least one dog or person around her at all times and constant quiet stimulation for her. Stuffed Kongs. New toys. Interactive games. I think it really helped her psychologically.

All good thoughts. It's a lot of work.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

csblabmom (06-13-2014)

Thanks for the good ideas everyone! Coast came thru surgery with flying colors. The Doc fixed his LP on that leg while he was in there, so if we can make it thru recovery, he should be better than ever.
    We've moved his big crate into the guest room we'll be sleeping in for the next 12 weeks (1st floor), ordered the "Game Ready" ice/compression machine they recommend for the 1st 2 weeks. Picking up a spare baby gate tomorrow when we pick him up and have an X-pen lined up to borrow from our friends that breed Weims.
    The other 3 will be going out into fenced back yard as normal and Coast will be going out front on a leash.
    It's times like this when I really wish we had our elevator installed when we built this house :-)

House Broken
    I have seen an ice compression machine used on a women's knee replacement and it really worked great. I never thought of it for a dog. Were you able to get it from the Ortho Surgeon?

Yes the surgeon referred us to a medical supply place that rents the canine units. If you can't find one locally or thru your surgeon, let me know and I will send you their info. They are in NC, but they ship!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos